PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Inglesina Swift

Carrots
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
I was set to buy an Uppababy G-Lite from a local baby store, but I have a $50.00 gift certificate to a different local baby store that carries Inglesinas. I fear that these little boutiques are going to go out of business in this dreadful economy and would like to spend this GC on something that I need.

(Obviously) I am in the market for a lightweight stroller. The gift cert. store has the Swift on sale for 99.00 online only, so I would spend $50.00 on the stroller. However, they do not have a floor model in the store. I also cannot find any other retailer within a reasonable drive who carries them or else I would love to take a test drive. The Uppababy G-lite is 129.00 retail.

I would love to hear from anyone who owns a Swift. I have a 7 month old DD and our large Chicco Cortina is a bit too heavy for quick trips to the store.

I realize the Swift is a tad heavier than the G-lite. How is the handle height and rear wheel position? DH is 6'2" and was fairly comfortable driving the Macs and the Uppababy (didn’t hunch over and didn’t stub his toes on the wheels or frame when walking). Would he be comfortable driving the Swift?

How is the recline? This is the least of my worries, but worth asking about.

How is the break system? Shocks? Canopy? Basket? Handles? (Is the weight restriction really 35 lbs? or is it heavier?

Is there anything else I should know (positive or negative)?

Thanks for your help!!! I appreciate any insight.

Kristen

aac
02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey, saw your post and was looking for information on the Inglesina Swift before I bought it as well - so I feel compelled to answer you.

I was comparing the Macs, Swift, and Uppas (G-lite & G-Luxe), looking at what reviews I could find on-line and ended up puting a Quest, Swift, and G-Luxe side by side in the store. I finally ended up going with the Swift for several reasons:

(1) the Macs get great reviews everywhere, but I think this a big reason the price tag is as high as it is - not saying that they aren't good strollers, I'm sure that they are, but I can't help but think that a little of the price is attributed to just the brand name. The Mac that has the same features sells for about $70 more than the Swift and $40 more than the Uppa G-Luxe). So based on this I ruled the Mac out.
(2) recline was important to me so that ruled out the G-Lite, I believe that model doesn't recline

This left me with the Uppa G-Luxe and the Swift:
(3) The Swift felt more sturdy than the Uppa
(4) The Swift was easier to fold, though neither were very hard
(5) The weight capacity in the storage basket is ~ 2 lbs heavier in the Swift
(6) There is a little storage compartment on the canaopy of the Swift for phone, wallet, keys, etc. I used this the other day and stuffed 4 diapers, 2 bibs and some wipes in the pocket)
(7) The seat on the Swift has a tilted "lip" in the front which seems to me would be more comfortable for the baby since his knees don't hit exactly at the edge of the stroller (think about sitting in a seat with a deep back and having your calves resting on the edge)
(8) DH is 6' and does not have any issues with the height of the handles - they are the same height as the Mac and the Uppa models.

All minor things, but to me what made the difference. Then speaking to the store associate, he also recommended the Swift over the G-Luxe stating (3) and (4) without me mentioning those thoughts to him first, and said that they sell a lot of the Inglesinas and he has not seen any problems with them.

Some other notes and disadvantages to consider:
(1) both canapies seem to be roughly the same in size - I liked the Uppa canapy better though, bc it is made of a mesh material that you can see through (I like to be able to see my son) and the Swift does not have a window
(2) recline is the same on both
(3) when the seat reclined, the storage basket underneath is tough to get to on the Swift - don't think there is the same problem with the Uppa
(4) the recline on the Swift is a 4-position, whereas the Uppa recline is infinite positions bc it's a drawstring system
(5) The Uppa models stand upright when folded and have a shoulder carry strap (as do the Macs). The Swift has a small handle strap on the side for carrying, but not a shoulder strap. - we overcame this by attaching an adjustable strap one handle bar and to the bar just above the wheel and this works fine

BTW - the Inglesina is at Buy Buy Baby, which accepts coupons from Bed Bath Beyond. We got 20% off on the Swift. The couple doesn't exclude Inglesina, but it does exclude Macs and UppaBaby products. And the only difference between the 2008 and 2009 Swift models are the material/canvas. so the 2008 model is about $20 cheaper, but everthing else is the same.

hope that helps!

AAC

Carrots
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
aac,
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful post. You made some great points! I have yet to get a stroller.... still researching and looking around. I am in MA and we don't have a Buy Buy Baby here (wish we did).

Again, thanks for your help.

K