PDA

View Full Version : the business of being born?

neeleymartin
01-29-2009, 10:01 PM
has anyone seen this documentary? i reserved a copy at the library and it's in transit. cannot wait to see it this weekend.

please is you have seen, share your favorite parts, or aha moments. in agony while i wait. tia.

AngelaS
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I have it but haven't watched it. I just never take the time to sit and watch a movie. :P

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
It's called "The Business of Being Born". :) I have seen it twice.

There were a few discussions about it last year but I am only pulling up mine. I know others were longer.

My thoughts from that post:
I couldn't wait to see this movie. I really had such high hopes for it. Maybe it's because it was preaching to the choir that I didn't really feel impacted by the message? I just didn't think it was really a well organized movie. Points that would have made sense weren't made till later when they just didn't seem to fit- or be as powerful as they could be.

The births were great. I wish that the run of the back to back births (the unmedicated at the hospital and the homebirth) were the closing scenes of the movie. I related to them so well. And they were so positive and uplifting.

I see the value of including the filmmakers birth but I wish that the discussion with them and their midwife that they had after the birth had been included in the film rather than on the bonus DVD material.

If I didn't already believe and support their message I wonder if this film would have changed my mind at all. I guess compared to the book "Pushed" by Jennifer Block it was a let down. Block's book had the same message but but the examples and flow just built a very compelling argument.

I'm still glad I saw the movie. It could have been better though.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=289190&highlight=the+business+of+being+born

Beth

brittone2
01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I still haven't seen it.

DH's university had a screening of Orgasmic Birth (documentary) not long ago and I really wanted to see that, but didn't get around to it. There was really interesting feedback though in the local papers. I think it was a great eye opener to some of the university students that birth as usually depicted on the big and small screen isn't the only type of birth possible.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=6120045&page=1
http://www.dailytarheel.com/news/features/putting_the_baby_in_oh_baby

Just thought I'd toss that out there since moms interested in one film might be interested in the other :)

Raidra
01-29-2009, 11:53 PM
I saw it a while ago and don't remember it too well. I did like it, though. I also felt like it was preaching to the choir, since I'd already made my decision to homebirth, so I have no idea whether it would make a big impact on someone who wasn't already a believer. It did bring me comfort to see such beautiful births, though.. I thought that was fun. It's always good to see alternative birthing choices portrayed in a positive light, rather than the way the media usually manages them.

DebbieJ
01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Going to add it to my Netflix queue. Thanks for the reminder.

Ooh, it's available to play online! Yippee!