PDA

View Full Version : Should I have dd's iron level re-checked?

JustMe
01-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Dd had a blood test for another reason over a year ago and her iron was low. I dont remember exactly how low, but I know it was not too bad. I tried to make sure her cereal was fortified with lots of iron, but sometimes she didnt want the cerreal, etc. After talking with her ped, I put her on a multivitamin (Flintstones complete) that supposedly has 100% of recommended iron. The problem is dd continues to love ice cubes (which I know can be a sign of low iron) and has recently taken to begging me to give her some frozen veggies before I cook them (I use frozen veggies a lot). I am wondering if this is the same as ice cubes (what is it about the ice cubes that make them a sign or low iron)? and if I should have her blood levels checked again. My ped's does not do 6 yr old well child checks. I can certainly call and ask, but I also wanted to see what others thought.

thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Does there seem to be an anemia concern? Does she have any worrisome signs (lack of energy, really pale...)? If not I wouldn't have the test done. But, if you are at all worried have it done.

ETA- I had my iron checked b/c I am an ice addict. The Dr. looked at me and said he couldn't believe that I had low iron because there was too much pink in my cheeks. :) He was right. The results were totally normal. He said some people just like ice.

Beth

brittone2
01-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Dd had a blood test for another reason over a year ago and her iron was low. I dont remember exactly how low, but I know it was not too bad. I tried to make sure her cereal was fortified with lots of iron, but sometimes she didnt want the cerreal, etc. After talking with her ped, I put her on a multivitamin (Flintstones complete) that supposedly has 100% of recommended iron. The problem is dd continues to love ice cubes (which I know can be a sign of low iron) and has recently taken to begging me to give her some frozen veggies before I cook them (I use frozen veggies a lot). I am wondering if this is the same as ice cubes (what is it about the ice cubes that make them a sign or low iron)? and if I should have her blood levels checked again. My ped's does not do 6 yr old well child checks. I can certainly call and ask, but I also wanted to see what others thought.

thanks!
Eating the cold/frozen veggies is pretty normal and not the same as the ice cubes, IMO...the ice itself can be a sign of pica...craving non food items (and yes, sometimes associated w/ certain mineral deficiencies)

agreeing w/ Beth above...I personally wouldn't worry too much unless I saw other signs or had concerns.

MamaMolly
01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
DH's iron was low and our doctor gave us a good tip: If you gently pull down the lower eyelid the inside should be pink like salmon. It is one of those rule of thumb kind of things. But I also think that if you are concerned then you may want to go ahead and just get it checked for peace of mind.

DrSally
01-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I would do it just to give you peace of mind. I did it for DS once b/c I thought he looked pale, and the doc laughed and said his iron turned out better than his (the doctor's), at 14.