PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Balance Bar (protein bar) for a kid?

KrisM
01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
DH eats Balance Bars at times for a snack after working out. DD opened one recently and loved it. I'm not sure she should be eating them, but would love to find similiar that is more kid-friendly. It doesn't have to be the high-protein bar, but a cereal bar or something. She is such a picky eater, I think this would be great.

She won't touch granola bars.

egoldber
01-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Clif has bars for kids, maybe Clif ZBar?

tmonroe
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I think Earth's Best makes a balance type bar for kids or some other brand. I know I'm seen something in whole foods.

brittone2
01-30-2009, 10:04 AM
I've posted a recipe for homemade Lara bars before. It is really easy if you have a food processor.

You basically pulse some assorted nuts/seeds in the food processor. Dump into a bowl. Take some pitted dates and pulse those in the food processor until they sort of pull together in a ball. Dump your seed/nut mixture back in and pulse to combine. You can also add things like dried apples and cinnamon, or some cocoa powder and coconut, whatever combo you like (the fav here has always been apples and lots of dried cinnamon). You basically want the mixture so that you can roll it into a ball or press into bars with your hands. It should hold together but not be obnoxiously sticky.

If you use all shelf stable ingredients, you won't have to refrigerate either. You could pack these in little waxed paper baggies or plastic bags or whatever and keep them in the car or diaper bag.

BarbieSmith
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Clif ZBar - organic and chock full of nutrients. My girls call them "candy bars". We leave them in the car as emergency snacks - surprising how many "emergencies" we have! We get them on Amazon.com. They like the chocolate chip and chocolate brownie flavors better than the peanut butter :)

Momof3Labs
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Both of my boys love Zbars. We get them at Trader Joe's.

KrisM
01-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks. I'll get a ZBar and see if she'll eat it.

AnnieW625
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Love Clif Z Bars! My husband and I eat them. You can also find them in boxes of 6 at Target; they are cheaper than at TJ's.

octmom
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Love Clif Z Bars! My husband and I eat them. You can also find them in boxes of 6 at Target; they are cheaper than at TJ's.

That's where we buy them too. At my Target, they are with the adult protein bars near the First Aid stuff. Just mentioning that so you don't seach in the cereal/ granola bar area and get frustrated if they aren't there.

KrisM
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the Target tip. Much closer than TJs.