PDA

View Full Version : S/O - ? about chapter books

fivi2
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't want to hijack the other chapter book thread, but I have a question about chapter books (may be silly). Do most of you used chapter books as a read-aloud book, or just save them for dc to read independently? It seems that a lot of the chapter books I have seen use a simpler vocabulary than the longer picture books I read to them (my girls are 3, so I haven't moved on yet, just getting ready to).

So, I guess I assumed that I would continue reading the harder vocabulary picture books out loud and saving the chapter books for them to read on their own... But if that is not what people do - let me know :)

Or does it just depend on the chapter book? Do you do some as read alouds and some as independent?

Maybe I am making this too complicated...
TIA

brittone2
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
We started reading DS chapter books when he was 3ish. He has been reading on his own somewhat since 4.5 or so. He still isn't ready to ready chapter books on his own yet at almost 5. We still read many picture books...we keep it varied, which is what I've always heard recommended. I think he'll eventually read some of the books independently that we've read together. He enjoys having us re-read some of his fav chapter books over and over again anyway (Stuart Little, Mouse and the Motorcycle, Little House series...) so he doesn't mind the repetition.

He helps read some of the words in the chapter book with us. He can read many picture books on his own now with just a little help.

spanannie
01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
We read chapter books aloud to DS, age 6.5, who is in Kinder.

Asianmommy
01-30-2009, 10:58 AM
We do both. Sometimes we read to her, and sometimes she reads alone. In the beginning, we had to read the chapter books to her (preschool). Now, she can do it by herself (Kindergarten/1st grade).

Ceepa
01-30-2009, 11:03 AM
We read a mix aloud at this point, but I know some mamas here have said they wish they had left some of the chapter books series so that DC could discover and read them independently when their reading skills were more developed.

DS doesn't like to cover the same ground too much at this point (so many books, so little time. LOL) so we focus on reading picture books, magazines and somewhat harder chapter books. He prefers to work on the easy chapter books himself.

egoldber
01-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Do most of you used chapter books as a read-aloud book, or just save them for dc to read independently?

I will read whatever she asks me to read. However, I definitely encourage her to choose books for read aloud that are more advanced that what she currently reads. Not necessarily in terms of story line, but in terms of vocabulary.

This is why I try to discourage people from doing things like Magic Treehouse as read alouds (other than maybe one or two to get them started). These type books are perfect for new readers to read to themselves and are IMO surprisingly difficult to find. But there are sooooo many wonderful books and stories that kids cannot yet read to themselves, but they would benefit from the exposure to the advanced concepts and vocabulary.

And I completely agree with you that many picture books are at a level well beyond most new readers (because they are designed for parents to read, not children) and that makes picture books terrific as read alouds long after "preschool" age. Sarah still enjoys picture books and many times prefers them. She'll sit and read 10-20 picture books in a row rather than a chapter book sometimes because she "doesn't want to read a long book right now".

brittone2
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I will read whatever she asks me to read. However, I definitely encourage her to choose books for read aloud that are more advanced that what she currently reads. Not necessarily in terms of story line, but in terms of vocabulary.

This is why I try to discourage people from doing things like Magic Treehouse as read alouds (other than maybe one or two to get them started). These type books are perfect for new readers to read to themselves and are IMO surprisingly difficult to find. But there are sooooo many wonderful books and stories that kids cannot yet read to themselves, but they would benefit from the exposure to the advanced concepts and vocabulary.

And I completely agree with you that many picture books are at a level well beyond most new readers (because they are designed for parents to read, not children) and that makes picture books terrific as read alouds long after "preschool" age. Sarah still enjoys picture books and many times prefers them. She'll sit and read 10-20 picture books in a row rather than a chapter book sometimes because she "doesn't want to read a long book right now".

Yep, we've been holding out on the Magic Treehouse series based on your (great) advice, which made total sense to me. Anyway, thanks for the great tip.

fivi2
01-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for all of the great input!

wolverine2
01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I read chapter books aloud, but I don't read the ones that he will read as an early reader. I read ones with more difficult vocabulary as I personally find them more interesting! I think there are plenty out there written for kids but that appeal at several levels.

Pennylane
01-30-2009, 02:07 PM
My dd is in first grade and is a great reader. That being said, her teacher has said to hold off on letting her read the chapter books by herself yet. She said the level of comprehension is just not there yet for most children. So when we read chapter books, I read the long page and she takes the short one. Then after we finish a chapter, we'll talk about what we have just read.

Ann