PDA

View Full Version : ski helmets for kids: yay or nay?

spanannie
01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
This is our first time taking kids 6.5 and 4.5 skiing. DH thinks the idea of helmets is ridiculous. Given our son's accident prone nature and already horrible bike accident this year, I am, of course, on the helmet band wagon. I think DH is going to give me a hard time about this. Thoughts?

WatchingThemGrow
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Last time I went skiing ALL kids were wearing them. Absolutely. I think skiing is more fun (and dangerous) than biking. Can you rent them?

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2009, 02:17 PM
We rented one and almost every other kid had one on too. They really stressed it's importance at the ski place.

Beth

nov04
01-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Back when I was a kid, I would have thought it was ridiculous. These days, I wouldn't give it a second though. Helmets all the way.

elektra
01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
My kids will be in helmets. I wear one myself when I go (or used to go!) snowboarding.
FWIW, I don't wear one while riding a bike, but DD will.
And most kids you see will be wearing them. Where we go locally in CA, it can be really icy and hard. And you fall all the time when learning.

lfp2n
01-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Yay-last year at Jackson Hole DD wore a ski helmet (compulsory in ski school) and DH and I did for the first time. I thought it was fine we are all going to do it from now on (we rented).

o_mom
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
As someone who suffered a severe concussion from skiing... I vote helmet. :)

spanannie
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Last time I went skiing ALL kids were wearing them. Absolutely. I think skiing is more fun (and dangerous) than biking. Can you rent them?

You can rent, but they are $8/day. We'll be there long enough that it makes sense to buy, IMO.

WatchingThemGrow
01-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Then, I'd buy and hope to pass them down :) Have a great time!!! We dream of getting on the slopes, but I'm always nursing or pregnant and can't make it work out. Maybe in time...

NancyJ_redo
01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Absolutely helmets! I grew up skiing without helmets, but started wearing one about 10 years ago even though I'm a really good skiier/snowboarder. There are always obstacles I can't control (ice, rocks, whatever) and I especially can't control other skiiers/snowboarders. I wouldn't even consider allowing my kids on the snow without helmets, even though I did it for 20+ years without incident. Plus, I'm almost positive that the resort we go to most often won't allow them out there without helmets.

spanannie
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Then, I'd buy and hope to pass them down :) Have a great time!!! We dream of getting on the slopes, but I'm always nursing or pregnant and can't make it work out. Maybe in time...

I'm nursing DD still, and very nervous about it. I'm trying not to think about leaving her with a nanny while I ski all day. I think I'll go back to the condo or have her meet me to feed. Got to start working on my milk stash!

I know I'm still going to meet resistance with DH on the helmets. I'll have to remind him about Zach's accident and that had he gone down our driveway, instead of into our yard, when he had his bike accident--without a helmet--he would have been dead. Thank God he was wearing a helmet and thank God he went into our yard. PSA for bike helmets inserted here.

npace19147
01-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Where are you going skiing? Maybe you can check with them and see if they require helmets - some places do now for liability purposes. Make them the "bad guys" so your DH stops arguing with you. (Don't get why he's arguing over a basic safety issue, but maybe this would put an end to the problem at least.)

spanannie
01-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Where are you going skiing? Maybe you can check with them and see if they require helmets - some places do now for liability purposes. Make them the "bad guys" so your DH stops arguing with you. (Don't get why he's arguing over a basic safety issue, but maybe this would put an end to the problem at least.)

Steamboat, CO. You have a good idea, but I talked to them today, and helmets are optional.
And DH's reasoning . . .he just doesn't see why a helmet would be necessary. Then again, he thinks DS is old enough to ride w/o car seat (thinks he's old enough, but does not do this). He really is a good dad. Really. Just a little "old school."

brittone2
01-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Late to this, but a 100% yes, absolutely to the helmets. There would be no other option for my kids (or my DH). I think they are now pretty commonplace and many/most kids wear them. Traumatic brain injury is not something enjoyable.

spanannie
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Thank you. Traumatic brain injury. That was the phrase I was looking for; now I've got the ammo. DS is so accident prone, I need all protection possible. Now that I've got his head protected, I need to figure out how to keep him from breaking a limb!

Late to this, but a 100% yes, absolutely to the helmets. There would be no other option for my kids (or my DH). I think they are now pretty commonplace and many/most kids wear them. Traumatic brain injury is not something enjoyable.

MarisaSF
01-30-2009, 03:13 PM
All of us wear a helmet. They are a must for kids IMO.

elektra
01-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you. Traumatic brain injury. That was the phrase I was looking for; now I've got the ammo. DS is so accident prone, I need all protection possible. Now that I've got his head protected, I need to figure out how to keep him from breaking a limb!

Exactly. And although I would be so upset if my DD broke an arm or a leg, those things heal better than a brain injury!
And not sure if this approach would work with DH, but I think a helmet may allow your DS to have some additional confidence that will eventually allow him to shred on the slopes! It may also give you that additional confidence so you won't have to worry about holding him back as much and he will be a better skier/snowboarder for it.
Seriously, all the kids will have them.
I know as an adult, I got to a point where I was no longer a beginner but was afraid to really let loose and go faster/get better. The helmet allowed me the confidence to do that.
I am pretty sure all the pros wear them. It just makes good sense all the way around.

lorinick
01-30-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree wear the helmet. Most children on the slopes are wear them. Dh bought a helmet for our son. I like that better than renting one. I wouldn't even let my child ski without one. I guess he could if dh wasn't into it. Since I don't ski and never go. 100% helmet!

bnme
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
We just got back from skiing in Vermont and ALL the kids had helmets. Most of the adults (including DH) did too. If they need it to ride a bike, why wouldn't they to ski? My 4 & 6yos were riding the chair lift on day 2 and I can't imagine it with out a helmet. We got them Giro helmets for around $40-50 at Dick's and they will probably use them a few years. And then we will pass on to relatives.

Have fun!

AnnieW625
01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
It wasn't the norm 25+ years ago when I learned to ski and it's been a while since I've done it and will say that I fell on my butt a lot and never once hit my head. In the classes they teach you how to fall. I highly recommend classes. I learned to cross country first at 4, and my brother was 18 mos. old. I never had an interest in snowboarding, which was the only time I ever saw kids younger than 12 wearing a ski helmet. This was in Tahoe, and not Colorado or Wyoming so most of the sloapes kids are at are easy green level (mainly Boreal, Kirkwood, or Tahoe Donner). I would be a little intimidated to take a non advanced skiier to somewhere like Jackson Hole where everything looks like a 90 drop (only seen it in the summer and boy did it look steep).

vejemom
01-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Have him watch the "Ski Patrol" show on the TruTV channel. Every time I turn that show on, they're airlifting someone off the mountain with traumatic head injuries. Also, didn't Sonny Bono die from a head injury sustained while skiing?

I think it will be a non-issue in the end. As litigious as Americans are these days, I can't imagine that any resort out there would allow kids out on the slope without a helmet. Adults, maybe. But not children.

AngelaS
01-30-2009, 03:41 PM
We all wore them and they were required for ski school.

Last winter when dh was skiing, he was first on the scene after a woman crashed into her husband in the half pipe. He was knocked unconcious. Thankfully, he'd bought a helmet the day before!

And when we were skiing, I had a snowboarder miss me by less than 6 inches. The #$%$ almost took me out and he was going REALLY fast.

WatchingThemGrow
01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
2 more thoughts:

Since Steamboat gives free tickets to kids with paying adults, the helmets won't be that much of an added expense.

Will you please take on peaceful, long journey down Tomahawk for me? There are few places on this earth I like better than that run on a nice powdery day when the *only* thing I can hear is the soft snowfall tapping on my goggles.

squimp
01-30-2009, 04:47 PM
I wear a helmet when I snowboard. Can't imagine doing less for my daughter. I found that it wasn't me falling that was so dangerous, it was the crazy kids zooming around me. One close encounter with another snowboarder was all it took for me to decide I need a helmet. I would not want to get hit in the head with a snowboard or skis. Also, it can be icy on the lift - my dad had a concussion after falling. One thing like that and head injury. Doesn't seem worth the risk.

jenmcadams
01-30-2009, 06:18 PM
FWIW, I don't wear one while riding a bike, but DD will.

Sorry in advance for the highjack...

Elektra - I know you probably don't recognize me, but I'm a big reader of the boards and love your posts and want to beg you to please wear a helmet when you ride a bike. I'm an avid cyclist and while I know that I'm a bigger risk of serious head injury b/c of where I ride and the amount of time I spend on bikes, but I've seen some pretty serious accidents in my day and I think it's irresponsible not to wear a helmet if you've got kids. Also, all of my friends who choose not to wear helmets, but try to get their kids to wear them tend to be less successful at convincing their DC of the importance of bike helmets.

I totally apologize for the nag, but I know too many people who have been seriously hurt and have seen too many accidents not to say anything...

elektra
01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Sorry in advance for the highjack...

Elektra - I know you probably don't recognize me, but I'm a big reader of the boards and love your posts and want to beg you to please wear a helmet when you ride a bike. I'm an avid cyclist and while I know that I'm a bigger risk of serious head injury b/c of where I ride and the amount of time I spend on bikes, but I've seen some pretty serious accidents in my day and I think it's irresponsible not to wear a helmet if you've got kids. Also, all of my friends who choose not to wear helmets, but try to get their kids to wear them tend to be less successful at convincing their DC of the importance of bike helmets.

I totally apologize for the nag, but I know too many people who have been seriously hurt and have seen too many accidents not to say anything...

No worries. Thanks for looking out for me. :) I know I should wear one.

tylersmama
01-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Without a doubt, helmets for everyone. Mom and dad, too. If you're planning on putting the kids in ski school, I can pretty much guarantee that helmets will be required. Even if you're not, it's still SO important. No, it's not going to prevent every injury (or even death), but it WILL lessen the severity at the very least if you get into a situation. I'm an advanced skier, and I've had a few falls on EASY runs over the years that would have been pretty bad concussions without my helmet. It's so easy to catch an edge, or have to avoid someone at the last minute and lose your balance.

And even if you can't convince your DH to wear one, I would definitely consider getting one for yourself. There was one day last season where I was skiing by myself, DS was in daycare, and I fell at the very bottom of the mountain on my way to pick him up from the nursery. I hit my head pretty good, and definitely would not have been able to take care of DS, let alone drive us both home safely, had I not been wearing my helmet. A couple of arguments to use for parents to be wearing them: setting a good example for the kids and they are SO much warmer than hats (honestly!).

As for the cost, Giro has an adjustable kids helmet. It has a dial on the back to loosen/tighten the fit as the kiddo grows. I have the bike version for DS (haven't gotten him up on skis yet), and it's great. We've been using it for nearly two years and still have plenty of room in it.

And as another cyclist, also wanted to encourage elektra to wear a helmet. ;)

cheri
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Please, please...yes! to the helmets. I'm a physiatrist (rehab doctor) and brain injury is the scariest thing that I see in my practice. One fall could totally and completely change your and your kids' lives. Severe brain injuries are rare, but they DO happen--and they are devastating. Mild brain injuries are really common and can lead to learning difficulties, chronic headaches, dizziness, memory problems, personality changes, and all sorts of other bad things. A helmet is a simple way to provide some protection.

You only get one brain, so you need to protect it!

MontrealMum
01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
All the kids here wear helmets here...even 10 years ago, if I had to guess...and many of the adults do. I haven't done alpine in awhile but I will probably get one for myself when I start up again (when DS is a little bigger :) ) Doesn't matter how good you are - I am an extremely proficient alpine skier (and XC) and I have hit my head on both a tree and a fence...back in the days when helmets didn't exist. I was lucky that I wasn't severely injured. Also, you can never account for the behaviour of other skiers - it's like driving ;)

I also always wear a helmet when I cycle :tongue5: (sorry, wanted to try the new smilie)

DH's boss (whose family used to be part-owners of Tremblant - if you ski, you know what that is) has had two BAD accidents cycling in the past few years (he races) and he ALWAYS wears a helmet while alpine skiing because he knows how lucky he was - and that he didn't suffer any permanent injuries because he was wearing a helmet. Just my PSA for the day :)

Asianmommy
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
The ski school we went to for ages 4-6 also required them. The lessons included the cost of the area/lift ticket and renting the skis & the helmet.

hannah
01-30-2009, 10:52 PM
DH & I bought helmets for us - and DD will have one on when we take her this year. I didn't have one when I learned to ski 30 years ago but will wear one now because you just never know. You might be a great skier but there are plenty of other skiers on the slopes who can/do do silly things that could put you in danger.

Cubdriver
02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I used to think that they were ridiculous and not necessary. I learned the error of my ways after I got knocked out and had a moderate concussion. After the ski patrol got me off the mountain, I got to spend one night in the hospital, and then got to have surgery to make my face look normal again. To me they are an absolute necessity. I was an experienced skier, but had someone cut me off because they did not look before they reentered the slope. Ever since this happened to me, I will not let anyone I love ski without one.

Lovingliv
02-01-2009, 04:42 PM
HI Annie!!!

Liv is skiing for the first time this year....in a helmet! Have fun!!!

spanannie
02-01-2009, 06:26 PM
HI Annie!!!

Liv is skiing for the first time this year....in a helmet! Have fun!!!

Hey there!

We're all getting helmets--minus DH, but maybe he'll succumb to the peer pressure!
You should see Grace's helmet. It's called "Rockin' Kitties." Cats playing guitars, LOL. That girl is a cat maniac!

Have fun skiing!