PDA

View Full Version : WWYD for your 5 year old's party?

happy2bamom
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
DH and I have been going back and forth with what to do for DS birthday, but now we are running out of time. He doesn't have any really strong friendships with kids his age, but he is totally ok with this. He prefers to play with adults, but he does play with kids when we are on playdates. That being said, I don't know if I should use the party as a larger social connection for him or keep it small and simple. We've narrowed it down to:

1)Invite entire preschool class (20 kids)to a bounce facility. This is a 2 hour party, we can only afford cake to be served.

2)Invite 5-6 friends from neighborhood & church to our home for a themed party that would include food, cake, games.

3) Invite entire preschool to our house and hire a magician (30 minute performance). Serve cake and maybe play one game.

DH wants to do #3 b/c DS is really into magicians right now. I get that, but the idea of 20 kids at my house is super stressful for me, not to mention a LOT of work. The magician cost $165, so I feel like we need more than the 5-6 kids to get our money's worth.

JustMe
01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Can you give your ds these 3 options and see what he wants? Otherwise I'd stick with the 5-6 kids idea. If ds would really love the magician, I see no problem with having the magician for a smaller number. Your ds will enjoy the magician just as much and maybe it will be less enjoyable for the other kids if there are less there...If you can, I would say to maybe try to go for 8-10 if you go for the magician...only b/c some will likely not be available and I think 5-6 is a good number to have!

egoldber
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I would go with option 1 or 2.

mytwosons
01-30-2009, 04:17 PM
There is no way I'd do #3 as is. Absolutely no way I'd have that many kids (and parents) in my house. No way, no how.

#1) Kids love bounce parties and it gives the parents time to mingle. I wouldn't worry about not serving food as long as you don't hold it during a typical meal time and/or state so on the invite. Inviting the whole class might give your son a chance to play w/a range of friends, which might be more his style. But, big parties can be overwhelming for both the child and parent.

#2.) Sounds like fun! The only downside I can think of is if your son regrets not inviting more friends.

But, since your son loves magicians so much, can you convince your DH #2 w/the magician would be worth the cost?

Good luck deciding!

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM
We did small b-day parties till last year (6th b-day). He never missed having a big party. Any party was fun for him. I would let him choose though. I would lean towards 2 or 3. Yeah, it might be crazy but it's only 2 hours...you'll survive and I bet it will be fun. The kids won't care if the house is small or anything like that either. I do see merit in inviting the class but you don't have to. If he just wants small go for it.

Beth

Veronica's Mommy
01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Keep in mind, even if you invite the entire class, it doesn't mean they will all come!

kransden
01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Which one does DS want to do? Can't you take him to a magic show later on? Our local magician often does shows at the area public libraries.

happy2bamom
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Which one does DS want to do? Can't you take him to a magic show later on? Our local magician often does shows at the area public libraries.

Oh good idea. I'll look into that. I don't know if that is an option here.