PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Bag

hellokitty1
01-30-2009, 07:14 PM
What did you pack in your bag that you thought was essential and what did you pack that wa a waste? This is DC#2 but it's been so long, I can't remember what I brought except pictures show I brought a pillow.

Melaine
01-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Something I forgot that I needed was chapstick!

tmonroe
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Things that were a waste:
* My own PJ's. The hospital gown worked fine for me and since I ended up having a C-Section the hospital gown allowed for easy access to the incision.
* Sanitary napkins. The hospital ones were big and necessary. I even got some to take home
*Socks and toothpaste. The hospital provided both and both were great. I even took socks home.
* Underwear. The disposable underwear was great. They were great for the sanitary napkins and I didn't have to mess up any of my own undies.

Things I was happy to have:
* Slippers and flip flops
* Chapstick
* Dental floss
* Soap. The hospital provides it but it really was a small bar
* My own blanket. It was cold and I like to have an extra thick blanket

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Packing my own nightgown was a waste. I just wore the hospital ones and my own robe over it. Pack your own slippers and maybe some yoga pants or sweat pants if you're modest.

I only packed a going home outfit for ds. Everything else was provided by the hospital. I second the chapstick idea. I would think the air would get pretty dry there. Oh- bring cash if you want take out food delivered.

You really shouldn't need much. Besides-how far are you really going to be from home? It's not like dh couldn't run home and grab something if you needed it right?

jk3
01-30-2009, 08:08 PM
#3 arrived in a hurry so I did not have time to pack a bag. We did not have a camera for the delivery so that's the most important item to remember. Luckily we were able to snap some picks with our Blackberry!

egoldber
01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
LOL! I liked having my own clothes. :) I didn't have a nightgown though, I slept in yoga shorts/pants and a T-shirt.

My hospital provides NO toiletries at all. I have a bag with toiletries that I use for travel, so I just threw that in my hospital bag.

KrisM
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
LOL! I liked having my own clothes. :) I didn't have a nightgown though, I slept in yoga shorts/pants and a T-shirt.

My hospital provides NO toiletries at all. I have a bag with toiletries that I use for travel, so I just threw that in my hospital bag.

Me, too!

I had my own clothes on about 12 hours after my c-section with DS2. That's when I had the IV and cath out. Loved my own clothes - I wore loose yoga pants and a t-shirt. I did change for night time, because if I was able to sleep I didn't want to mess up my own clothes. But, during the day, I was dressed. Second day, I wore regular clothes. I went home on day 2.

I also had no toiletries provided, except for pads.

Other most needed:
- laptop - we had free wireless access
- cell phone
- camera
- notebook so I could record the birth story right away
- sandals
- magazines (I was bored because everyone who would have visited was helping with the other kids)
- boppy
- my own pillow

Not needed:
- 3rd change of clothes - Even if I had had to stay more than 24 hours, I dont think I would have needed them.

elektra
01-30-2009, 08:38 PM
I wish I would have packed a towel. I had to use one of the hospital blankets when i showered.
I should have packed more appropriate pj's/clothes. I ended up bringing a too sheer, too tight white cotton t-shirt that with my newly expanded boobs was just scandalous in front of any family members and make it impossible to breastfeed. In my defense, it was my first and even though I took the breastfeeding class I was still clueless about the detailed logistics of what kind of tops are the best for easy access! I thought it would work because it was an empire waist. But that just made it so tight at the top. I know- so dumb.

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2009, 08:38 PM
What I liked having: My own clothes, extra clothes for dh, a fan (handheld), music, snacks, sports drink, the page from the baby book for footprints, pen and paper, pillow, brush, heating pad (I bought the ThermaCare style patches and was able to wear them- felt great on my back!), flip flops, dark bathrobe.

Waste- chapstick (I guess if I hadn't been "allowed" to drink I might have wanted it but it was totally unnecessary for me), a million clothes for the baby, massage things.

Beth

gatorsmom
01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Things I didn't need: my pj's, my nursing pillow, gatorade (no place to refrigerate it once I opened a bottle).

Things I"m glad I brought: my own toilettries, my own robe (in a pink flowered print so that stains wouldn't be as easy to see), easy slide-on slippers, extra socks (I liked the hospital ones but they didn't provide enough), dried fruit to snack on to help me get regular and raw almonds for a protein boost inbetween meals, my own camera, a notepad for next to my bed to keep track of my medications and vitamins, my cell phone and a list of people to call, my own pillows in a patterned pillowcase so the hospital didn't think they belonged to the hospital, a little bottle of hand sanitizer to keep in my nightstand so I didn't have to get up to wash my hands everytime I wanted to eat, touch the babies, etc. Oh, and a couple of nursing bras to wear before my milk came in. I wore the same size with babies #1 and #2 but with the twins I had to buy some new, bigger ones. Fortunately, my hospital had a breastfeeding resource shop with products to buy and a lactation consultant to help measure me. I just bought a couple in the hospital.

tmarie
01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
PPs had great thoughts.

Not needed items for me: pajamas, leisure reading materials

So glad I had: IPOD, nursing book (I had challenging baby and it was so helpful to supplement the help I received from staff), boppy pillow, baby clothes & hats (didn't need these at all for dd#1, but dd#2 was more petite and the hospital clothes and hats were scratchy and ill-fitted for her), toiletries including shampoo, soap, shaving gel, my own socks, bathrobe, aquaphor for my lips, small notebook and pen to take notes from drs, keep track of gifts, feedings, etc...

Best wishes to you!!!

tmarie