PDA

View Full Version : Older baby "containment system"?

sarahsthreads
01-31-2009, 01:01 AM
OK, so I work part-time at the shop I part-own, and DD2 comes with me some of the time. I brought DD1's old cradle and her bouncy seat in for places to plop DD2 down occasionally, although she typically is in the mei tai while I'm there. Oh, and we have no changing table, so I was also changing her in the cradle.

However, she's now pushing up on hands and knees, so the cradle is outgrown, and she's sitting straight up in the bouncy seat, so that's got to go too. Also, the infant carrier is going to be history just as soon as her new MA arrives early next week. So I'll be stuck carrying her at all times, which isn't entirely practical.

There's also not a ton of room in the shop for baby gear - I don't even think a pack & play would fit in the space the cradle was in, although I haven't measured yet. A mini p&p might have worked, but I can't seem to find one online anywhere but out-of-area craigslists, are they discontinued?

Any other ideas for something small, compact, and suitable for an older baby to play in for short (15-20 minute) periods of time?

(If DD2 wasn't so stubborn about the bottle - DH has wasted a *ton* of milk because she refuses to drink more than 1/2 an ounce and will only do so if she's completely starving - and I had time or a place to pump at the shop this wouldn't be so much of an issue.)

Sarah :)

elektra
01-31-2009, 01:12 AM
I am forgetting how old DD was before we got her her FP Rainforest bouncer but how about something like that? Id your DD #2 too little? I know that my DD loved being in that thing and it was perfect for making meals or any 5-20 min type of activity.

sarahsthreads
01-31-2009, 01:42 AM
I am forgetting how old DD was before we got her her FP Rainforest bouncer but how about something like that? Id your DD #2 too little? I know that my DD loved being in that thing and it was perfect for making meals or any 5-20 min type of activity.
Hm, it looks like that's the same type of thing as the bouncy seat we already have - it's good until the baby can sit up on their own? (She doesn't really sit up on her own on the floor yet, but in a seat like that she can pull herself to sitting and lean forward to tripod.) Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

nfowife
01-31-2009, 06:43 AM
I'd try for either a pnp or a superyard. The superyard might be nicer because you can make it smaller if you need to. You'd have to put something at the bottom because it's open, though. I think a pnp would really be your best bet. The small ones are called a travel lite crib, but they are really pretty small and won't last you long.

pharmjenn
01-31-2009, 06:52 AM
I think maybe Elektra meant the jumperoo. It works once the baby can hold her head up, and reach the floor (although we put it on the lowest setting and put a big book underneath) Atfirst they just play with the toys, but pretty quickly get the hang of jumping and some kids can go for a long time in there. It does have a large footprint though, so space may be an issue.
Jennifer

WatchingThemGrow
01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Exersaucer that can collapse? Can you trade babysitting with someone else nearby?

new_mommy25
01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
I would look for a used Exersaucer on CL. My DS loved his and it was the only way I got a little break. There is also the FP chair that is similar to a bouncy but goes to 30 pounds. I think it is called a rocker? That might be an option too, and you could also probably find it on CL. Also, I would get a Bumbo. :)

o_mom
01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Playnest is pretty neat. A friend had one. If we have another this will be on my "new gear" list since we couldn't even use the Exersaucer with DS3.

scroll down on this page to see:
http://www.jamesgalt.co.uk/firstyears/fyear01.htm

elektra
01-31-2009, 06:22 PM
I think maybe Elektra meant the jumperoo. It works once the baby can hold her head up, and reach the floor (although we put it on the lowest setting and put a big book underneath) Atfirst they just play with the toys, but pretty quickly get the hang of jumping and some kids can go for a long time in there. It does have a large footprint though, so space may be an issue.
Jennifer

This is exactly what I meant, thanks! A jumperoo, not a bouncer. Doh.
Like this. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2508003
The footprint isn't tiny but it's smaller than a pack n play. And it keeps 'em entertained.

s_gosney
01-31-2009, 06:43 PM
For ds we are using an exersaucer, a jumperoo, and an FP infant to toddler rocker. The rocker has the smallest footprint, but isn't as engaging.

pastrygirl
01-31-2009, 07:49 PM
I think this (http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2008/12/popatot-2.html) looks pretty cool.

Staraglimmer
02-02-2009, 02:12 AM
If you want the mini pack and play so that she can nap in it too, they are on clearance at Target. HTH

Momof3Labs
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to continue to use the infant carrier for her in the shop, even if she's outgrown it for car rides. Is she happy and safe in it for now? Otherwise, I vote for an exersaucer, too.

sarahsthreads
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
OK, so it sounds like the Rainforest Jumperoo or similar would be a good choice. I found a couple on craigslist that I'm waiting to hear back about, also a bumbo with a tray that looks like it could be useful. (That one I might actually keep in my car for when DD1 has dance in the basement of a building - I could just sit DD2 in the bumbo seat while I get DD1 ready for her dance class.) I also saw a Bright Starts bounce bounce baby/activity zone thing on CL, is that a good option, or should I stick with the rainforest one?

Thanks, everyone! I wish I could trade babysitting with someone, or even hire a babysitter sometimes, but it's usually a last-minute unplanned thing when I have to bring her along. I'm torn between thinking it's really nice to have her with me and hating the fact that she's exposed to all sorts of germy adults who should know enough to keep their hands to themselves...but don't.

Momof3Labs
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM
The Jumperoo footprint is almost as big as a PNP, so be sure to check it out before buying! I'd go with a PNP before a Jumperoo - will last longer and is more versatile.