PDA

View Full Version : Glasses and sports

squimp
01-31-2009, 01:32 AM
Anyone have a child in glasses who plays sports? Do you get some kind of sports glasses or just use their regular glasses? I'm thinking about basketball and soccer specifically.

Also, any special concerns for kids with bifocals? DD wears bifocals and seems to have trouble with dribbling. It may just be a new skill, but I think part of it is that she has trouble shifting focus, and I wonder if a lens with just the top script would work better for her.

TIA!

JBaxter
01-31-2009, 09:35 AM
My brother always wore a strap in teh back of his glasses so they didnt fall off. My oldest switched to contacts in middle school for sports as does my nephew who is in the 6th grade.

Dribbling can take a while to click. Nathan got really good at 4 1/2 after 2 seasons of 4-5 soccer

MMEand1
01-31-2009, 12:13 PM
When I was a kid I had some of those sports glasses. I think they were about $100 or so. They looked silly, but with the cost of regular glasses today, it is worth it IMO.

I'm not sure about the bifocal part as I have no experience, but dribbling in Basketball is sort of a learned skill, not something most kids can do right off the bat. Most coaches teach you to dribble without looking at the ball. I think they even sell these little "glasses" that have blinders so you can't see the ball (probably not explaining that right).

Good luck!

crayonblue
01-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi there, I've been wondering the same thing! DD is very interested in sports and very much needs her glasses on.

I played softball with glasses and then got contacts at age 9. I then played basketball and softball with contacts.

C99
01-31-2009, 01:53 PM
I wear glasses and played soccer as a kid. For the most part, I didn't do anything to keep them on my face, but there are straps that go along the back. I wore those when I went sailing on my dad's boat, because getting glasses knocked off your face in soccer is way different than them going into the lake!

squimp
01-31-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure about the bifocal part as I have no experience, but dribbling in Basketball is sort of a learned skill, not something most kids can do right off the bat. Most coaches teach you to dribble without looking at the ball. I think they even sell these little "glasses" that have blinders so you can't see the ball (probably not explaining that right).

Good luck!

That's helpful to know! Her bifocals are +6 (for close up work) and it's actually hard for her to look down and see well, for example going down stairs is hard for her, and sometimes she misses a curb - I've taken to always speaking out when there's a curb or step coming. So perhaps it's better that she doesn't have to look.