PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stop taking Klonopin

TraciG
01-31-2009, 08:46 AM
UGH before I started my antidepressant's my mother gave me some of her Klonopin since I was so anxious, well I started to love that it put me right to sleep at night & started taking it every night. I continued when I got my antidepressant's even though the doc didn't want me to. Well I am so used to the Klonopin it doesn't even help me sleep anymore & I want to stop taking it. I read scary thing's about getting off it. I decided to look up withdrawal symptom's since last night I felt my heart beating fast & nausueas .

Anyone have any experience with this? I know I am supposed to wean off it, I feel so irresponsible for doing this, I don't have that many pill's left but I will have to cut them to wean off, ugh

alexsmommy
01-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Self-weaning is DANGEROUS. Call your doctor, admit what you have been doing and be very honest about the dosages you have been taking. You doctor can devise a plan to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Seriously, do not try to do this by yourself.

egoldber
01-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Traci, please, please, please call your doctor.

pinkmomagain
01-31-2009, 09:23 AM
First, definitely call the dr. I will say that in *our* case, I have been weaning dd#1 off of it verrrrrrrry slowly, and it has been successful for us. The prescribing dr agreed we should try to wean her off and gave me permission to do it. We are doing it small bits at a time and then holding at that dosage for a few months before reducing more. We have been very successful so far. But I wouldn't even have started this process without the dr's knowledge/direction.

lizajane
01-31-2009, 10:50 AM
you MUST have a doctor's help or you could have SEIZURES. shame on your mom for giving you such a serious prescription drug without a doctor's recommendation. it is going to take a while to get off of it. it took my mom a YEAR to get off it because of the intense panic attacks the withdrawls gave her. she was taking way more, so it won't take you that long. but you CAN NOT GO COLD TURKEY WITH THIS DRUG.

vludmilla
01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
you MUST have a doctor's help or you could have SEIZURES. shame on your mom for giving you such a serious prescription drug without a doctor's recommendation. it is going to take a while to get off of it. it took my mom a YEAR to get off it because of the intense panic attacks the withdrawls gave her. she was taking way more, so it won't take you that long. but you CAN NOT GO COLD TURKEY WITH THIS DRUG.

A very BIG "yeah that". Please call your doctor, Traci. Be honest with him/her so that they can really help you. You will be alright since you are motivated to get off this rather habit-forming drug.

TraciG
01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Alright thank's , I have to find out the milligrams I was taking, I don't even know what it is. I'll call the Dr.

caleymama
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Self-weaning is DANGEROUS. Call your doctor, admit what you have been doing and be very honest about the dosages you have been taking. You doctor can devise a plan to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Seriously, do not try to do this by yourself.

:yeahthat:

crayonblue
01-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Traci,

I'm agreeing with everyone else and saying please consult your doctor. My daughter is on a similar drug and there is no way I would wean her off it without guidance.

And please don't take anything else from your mom! Someone once asked me for some of Carmen's meds and I said no way. These are heavy-duty drugs and not to be messed with.

MamaKath
01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Traci, call the doctor and be super honest. The only way to get off faster is to do an inpatient detox program. The doctor will also be able direct you to people who can help you sort out how/why you started taking this and how to deal with those situations as well (stress, sleep, etc).

Sillygirl
01-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Chiming in to confirm that withdrawal from benzodiazepenes, like Klonopin, can be deadly. It's not like kicking heroin or cocaine, which might make you sick but not kill you. Prescription drug abuse is no joke.

TraciG
01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Chiming in to confirm that withdrawal from benzodiazepenes, like Klonopin, can be deadly. It's not like kicking heroin or cocaine, which might make you sick but not kill you. Prescription drug abuse is no joke.

WOO That's scary

WatchingThemGrow
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Have you called yet?

TraciG
01-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I called the doc but they're not there so I called the pharmacist, I told him I've been taking it a couple of month's ( not sure exactly how long ) he said I should be ok since it wasn't that long that I've been on them & to take half until I'm done with them.

niccig
01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
I called the doc but they're not there so I called the pharmacist, I told him I've been taking it a couple of month's ( not sure exactly how long ) he said I should be ok since it wasn't that long that I've been on them & to take half until I'm done with them.

Still follow up with your doctor on Monday. Tell them everything and they can help devise a plan for slow weaning.

If you're main reason was anxiety and not sleeping, the anti-depressants might be enough for that. If not, talk with your doctor to get other alternatives. There's other options that are safer to take.

JMS
01-31-2009, 05:00 PM

I'm very surprised a pharmacist would give such concrete advice. He's not a Dr., you are not a patient that's he's treating and it's not even your Rx (so how does he know how much 1/2 exactly is (in relation to your needs) and when you should be done?). I would leave a message with the answering service of your Dr. I think it's that important.

alexsmommy
01-31-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm very surprised a pharmacist would give such concrete advice. He's not a Dr., you are not a patient that's he's treating and it's not even your Rx (so how does he know how much 1/2 exactly is (in relation to your needs) and when you should be done?). I would leave a message with the answering service of your Dr. I think it's that important.

Perhaps your physician willl give you the same advice as the pharmacist, but as a mother, you really owe it to yourself and your children to do this the right way. Otherwise the consequences could be very, very serious. Please, please call first thing Monday and again, be very honest about amount, duration etc.
I know many of these posts may be coming off as judgmental, but honestly, I for one am just really, really worried for you. I'm guessing that is the sentiment of the pp's as well. It sounds like you and your mother may not have understood just how powerful of a medication this is. Most general physicians don't like to prescribe it without involving a psychiatrists expertise. I know you were desperate for sleep - probably in large part to be rested enough to be a great mama. Now that things are going better and you have your own medication, please continue to think of how to be the best mama possible and talk to your physician. Psychotropic meds serve a very valuable purpose and are can be very effective when used properly, but please in the future remember that by their very nature, they alter your brain chemistry.

vejemom
01-31-2009, 05:49 PM
I think this is a situation where having the on call doctor paged might be warranted. Please, please be careful for your sake and the sake of your children. You don't want to have some sort of problem with this when you're home alone with 2 children.

TraciG
01-31-2009, 09:51 PM
I'll call her on Monday, the doc. I just took half, haven't taken it in 1 day's.

I told my mother that you are supposed to wean off of it, she had no idea, she said she didn't wean off of it but I'm sure she took something else, she take's a lot of medication for depression & anxiety .

Thank you all !

TonFirst
01-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Traci, I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you. Our children are all about the same age and I've been seeing you on this board forever, and I've been following your trials with your youngest (feeding, sleeping, etc.). Please take care of yourself and deal with this issue - really, all of the issues - in a way that keeps *your* best interests as your first priority. You do so much for your children and your family and I think that it is really, extremely important that you take care of yourself, physically and mentally. Please take care and heed the advice of the mothers who posted above.

WatchingThemGrow
02-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I think this is a situation where having the on call doctor paged might be warranted. Please, please be careful for your sake and the sake of your children. You don't want to have some sort of problem with this when you're home alone with 2 children.
ITA with this and the fact that the pharmacist isn't in a place to give you such advice for the reasons stated in above posts.

I think the extra $$ for an after hours call would be worth the peace of mind, and it will probably get you an appointment on Monday, not just a call "in" to the MD on Monday.

deborah_r
02-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Traci, have you been in contact with a doctor yet? Thinking of you.

JBaxter
02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Traci, have you been in contact with a doctor yet? Thinking of you.

:yeahthat: