PDA

View Full Version : Anyone NOT vaccinating DC against Hep A and Varicella at 1 year well visit?

tmonroe
01-31-2009, 09:40 AM
If so would you mind telling me why. I am not looking to criticize anyone just find out some info from other parents. DH and I are on the fence about Hep A vaccination. She's not getting the MMR on her 1 year well visit. Since Merck is not producing the separate vax we'll wait until she is older.

DH and I are on the fence about Hep A. For those who decided not to vaccinate would you mind sharing why. Are you going to vax when DC is older or not at all?

We're not giving her varicella at the 1 year visit. It seems pointless (to us) to give her a live virus vaccine when she can still get chicken pox anyway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Hep A- it wasn't around with ds1 so I need more time to research. It doesn't seem like he has enough risk factors to merit needing it, from what I recall of the vaccine sheet and discussion I had with our ped. Also, I would rather work on a priority system and there are other vaccines that I want him to get more. I don't want to do too many if they aren't really necessary. If I do it it will be after 2 years.

Chicken pox? I want to get his titers checked eventually because I had shingles when he was 6m old. He was in close proximity (touched them too, iirc, before we knew what they were). Even if that weren't a factor I would wait till he was school aged.

Ds1 has had 1 chicken pox shot. They just added the 2nd and we chose not to get it last time. Again, his titers should probably be checked. The idea of endless boosters seems silly to me. Ds1 did not get the hep A shot either (he is 6.5yo).

Beth

tmonroe
01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Hep A- it wasn't around with ds1 so I need more time to research. It doesn't seem like he has enough risk factors to merit needing it, from what I recall of the vaccine sheet and discussion I had with our ped. Also, I would rather work on a priority system and there are other vaccines that I want him to get more. I don't want to do too many if they aren't really necessary. If I do it it will be after 2 years.

Chicken pox? I want to get his titers checked eventually because I had shingles when he was 6m old. He was in close proximity (touched them too, iirc, before we knew what they were). Even if that weren't a factor I would wait till he was school aged.

Ds1 has had 1 chicken pox shot. They just added the 2nd and we chose not to get it last time. Again, his titers should probably be checked. The idea of endless boosters seems silly to me. Ds1 did not get the hep A shot either (he is 6.5yo).

Beth

Thanks Snuggle.

o_mom
01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
We don't even get offered HepA.

DS1 had CP vax, then DS2 got CP at 11 mos and gave it to DS1. With DS3 we are waiting until school age at least.

egoldber
01-31-2009, 10:16 AM
I think they offer Hep A based on incidence rates where you live. Hep A used to be rare but is becoming more and more common in many places. I chose to vax Hep A because we do a lot of out of country travel and it can be a concern depending on where you go.

I did varicella on time with Sarah and Amy, but at her 7 year appointment we were offered and declined, a new booster that come out recently.

Ceepa
01-31-2009, 10:18 AM
I chose to vax Hep A because we do a lot of out of country travel and it can be a concern depending on where you go.

This is why we've recently started talking about it. For upcoming travel.

mmama
01-31-2009, 10:23 AM
My son received all his vaccinations except the Hep. A and Varicella. I didn't vaccinate against Hep. A because we don't live in an area of the country where there are alot of cases. Can't remember exactly where it's a problem but I want to say somewhere in the southwest? Plus, Hep. A typically isn't as bad for children as adults and we travel alot to a country that definitely lacks in sanitary conditions. I'd rather my son get it now than later when he's an adult. As a side note, my pediatrician is very pro-vaccines and he didn't bat an eyelash when we declined this one.

As for varicella, I'm still not sure about this one. I don't like the idea of the vaccination wearing off when my son is an adult. Barring a full blown case we'll probably check titers around kindergarten age and then make a decision.

HTH.

JBaxter
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I have 3 boys who wernt offered Hep A. I think I read that like 70 or 80% of people are exposed to HepA by 18yrs old. I dont have a link but think I remember reading that somewhere. We have taken them all to Mexico and Costa Rica and honestly I didnt even think about it. Hep A doenst have lasting ramifications like HepB and from what I understand about the disease it is basiclly fever with wicked intestinal issues. When its done its over.

IF I wrong someone please correct me.

Hep A or chickenpox are not on the list of vax's Jack will be getting at all.

wendibird22
01-31-2009, 11:35 AM
We are spacing out vaxes so we postponed Hep A until 2yrs. There's not a high incidence of Hep A in our state and 2yrs was on Dr Sears schedule (I believe). DD did get chicken pox vax at her 1yr. Flu shot at 15mos. Then MMR at 16mos.

AngelaS
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that mine didn't have HepA, but I don't remember. Only one of mine has had the varicella vaccine (my first, the guinea pig child) and I did research on it just this week. Here's what I found out:

I mostly used the CDC (Yes, a government agency's website) to compile the following.

1 in every 10,000 who get the chicken pox die
23 in every 10,000 who get pox get pneumonia
1 in 4000 who get pox get encephalitis

15 to 20% of those who get the vax, still get the pox.
25 to 30% who get the vax, still get them as bad as unvaccinated people

The virus grows in a cell culture made from human dipoloid cells from an intentionally aborted fetus. From the virus they harvest from the culture, then they create the vaccine.

1:1000 who have the vaccine have a seizure.

The vax lasts about 8 years and then you need a booster.

C99
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
We haven't done Hep A at any appointment -- just doesn't seem like we have enough risk factors to warrant it. DS1 got varicella at the last possible moment (right before K) and will probably do the same w/ DD and DS2.

tmonroe
01-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone.