PDA

View Full Version : 100 Day in Kindergarten - UPDATED!

MMEand1
01-31-2009, 11:47 AM
We walked around the store while my DH was grocery shopping accross the street and just looked for something to put on his poster. At first we looked at those little drink umbrellas, but he then decided that he wanted some plastic fishing worms. We went to look at those and found that it would have cost between $20-25 to get 100 of them. While in the sports section, he saw some multi-colored golf tees that he thought were pretty cool. We decided to get those. I have a hot glue gun and will let him help me glue them to his poster.

Thanks for all the ideas!! It would have been nice if the teacher had given us a little more time than just a weekend, or is that normal time allowance?

My DS was sent home with a poster yesterday with the number 100 printed on it. There was a letter with the poster explaining that we had to decorate the printed number 100 with 100 items to celebrate the 100th day of school.

I have never heard of this before, but okay, I'll play along. What should I use to decorate this poster? The examples given by the teacher were cheerios, marshmallows, buttons, raisins, stickers, beans, and macaroni. I don't want to do any of those because I imagine all the other kids in my DS's class will be doing those. Any ideas as to what to put on this poster? The poster size is about 10x12, so not a full size poster...

Thanks!
Mariah P.

kedss
01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
here's some ideas:

seeds
his 100 favorite words?
beads

ask him what he'd like to use?

MMEand1
01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
ask him what he'd like to use?

Thanks. When I ask him, his answer was "Indiana Jones. We can go buy 100 Indiana Jones guys and put on there." Once I explained to him that we probably could not find 100 of them, much less afford 100 of the little action figures, he said that it did not matter what we used.

ha98ed14
01-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, how about 100 M&Ms or Skittles or his favorite candy? 100 leaves? (Texas still has leaves on the trees, right?) 100 finger prints of his family members? Done with an ink stamper. Or 100 Hand prints. Just some ideas...

KrisM
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Paper clips
rubber bands
soda bottle tops (I'm thinking the plastic ones)
cotton balls
stickers - how easy :)
wiggly eyes

kransden
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
How about 100 Indiana Jones things to draw/cut out? Hat, whip, words, leaves, animals, snakes, bugs, jeep etc.

kedss
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
are there Indiana Jones stickers out there? :)

MamaKath
01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Thumb prints, blessings, words, photos tiles (you can cut down ones that didn't come out that well or won't be otherwise used) , toy cars, legos, etc.

My personal thing on things like that is to stay away from food since my kids often like hanging up their work afterward on their walls.

LarsMal
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM
The finger print idea is really cute- and original.

Along with the other Indiana Jones ideas, you could probably go online and find things related to it and print them off.

Does it have to be 100 of the *same* thing or just 100 things? He could use a few different things and group them: 25 Indiana Jones related items, 25 finger prints, etc.

bonbon98
01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
We're doing fuzzy pompom balls...

alexsmommy
01-31-2009, 01:58 PM
We're doing stickers of different kinds of balls. He wanted to cut out 100 pics of balls and glue them, but I know exactly who would have wound up cutting out about 85 of them lol.

What I will probably do is let him cut out as many as he can today and tomorrow, then we'll fill in the rest with stickers.

overcome
01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
I am a former first grade teacher and have seen LOTS of collections of 100. My advice is to stay away from food because it is a PITA to glue, it falls off, and it makes the paper very heavy and awkward to carry and display.

Of course I can't remember any of the clever things my student DID use...but I like the ideas of fingerprints, maybe groups of 10 or 25 using different color ink? I also think the wiggly eyes is great!

I was also going to suggest printing some Indiana Jones related items to glue.

Little pom poms from the craft store would be fun, visually appealing and easy to glue.

I guarantee (sp?) someone will glue 100 candy conversation hearts...happens every year b/c the 100th day usually falls in Feb.

Have fun!

new_mommy25
01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
My DS did this. We chose to bring in 100 pennies. :)

hellokitty
01-31-2009, 06:40 PM
100 smiley faces?

veronica
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Can you get a cute pic of him dressed in Indiana Jones gear and maybe go to a local drugstore has those tiny "locket sized" prints available on their machines. He'd likely think that's pretty cool..

elektra
01-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Can I just say I dread this type of project that I will have to do when DD gets to school? Maybe it's because I'm exhausted right now and can't imagine having to do something like that that would be due on Monday. Or maybe it's because I am so uncreative.
Good job mama! It sounds like you got it all worked out and his poster is going to be great. :)

Tanya
02-01-2009, 12:44 AM
We had to decorate a white t-shirt and we spent hours on it on Sunday and then had snow days every single day this past week, so she hasn't even worn it yet.

By the way, she annoyingly changed her mind from 100 black dalmatian spots to 100 butterflies. I drew the butterflies and she colored them. I had trouble just keeping track of how many I'd already drawn. Even she wished she would have went with the spots when we were about halfway finished. However, she's quite pleased with the end result and is glad she chose fabric markers instead of washable markers (I gave her the two options beforehand).

MamaKath
02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for all the ideas!! It would have been nice if the teacher had given us a little more time than just a weekend, or is that normal time allowance?

Okay now I am feeling guilty, lol. I am sending them on Monday due back Thursday.