PDA

View Full Version : Normal dishwasher or problem?

jgenie
01-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I've noticed that when our dishwasher runs, our main sink in the kitchen will fill up with a bit of water. Does your dishwasher do the same thing or do I have a problem? I make sure to clear the sink before I run the dishwasher and scrub it well once the load is finished.

ETA:

I live in a 50+ year old home - I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is a problem because of the way the original plumbing is set up.

katydid1971
01-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Normal, your dishwasher uses the same drain pipes as your sink, your pipes are a little slow so they back up into your sink. You can try a cup of baking powder followed by a cup of vinegar then a kettle of boiling water to clean your pipes but they will probably always back up into your sink some. Just keep doing what you're doing, cleaning the sink afterwards.
HTH

egoldber
01-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Does it just back up into the drain or does it actually come up into the sink? The first is normal, the latter is not.

Most dishwashers drain into the disposal and if the disposal is full, then the water can back up into the sink. If running the disposal before running the dishwasher does not solve the issue, then you have some wort of problem.

It could be that the dishwasher was not properly hooked up to begin with.

The disposal could be clogged.

The U-bend pipe after the disposal could be clogged. (This is simple to fix.)

You may have a clogged pipe further down from the U-bend. This would require a plumber.

jgenie
01-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the tips - I will try the baking soda, vinegar and boiling water trick to see if that helps.

The water actually comes into the sink - I will try running the disposal before I run the next load of dishes and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the quick replies!!

urquie
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the tips - I will try the baking soda, vinegar and boiling water trick to see if that helps.

The water actually comes into the sink - I will try running the disposal before I run the next load of dishes and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the quick replies!!

also - if you see the water as it's coming up, run your disposal right then. it happens to us occasionally in our newish house and running the disposal has always fixed it.

hollybloom24
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Mine does this when I don't run the garbage disposal before. If there is nothing waiting to be "disposed" of, then mine drains and doesn't back up into the sink.

My house was built in 1945. The dishwasher is a Kitchen Aid from 1984 (waiting for it to kick the bucket so I can get a new one!)

niccig
01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
My dishwasher does the same, but not every single time, which makes me think it depends on the garbage disposal.

I just cleaned our drains according to the queen of clean book. For the disposal she says to fill the sink up 3 inches with warm water, add 1 cup of baking soda and stir to dissolved. Drain the sink with the disposal running.

For the sink, she has 2 options. Option 1 - Pour 1 cup of salt (any salt - table, rock etc) and 1 cup of baking soda down the drain. Follow with a kettle of boiling water. Don't use the drain for several hours for best results.

I didn't have enough salt, so I used her 2nd option. Dissolve 2 tablespoons washing soda (in laundry detergent aisle) in hot water. Pour slowly down drain. Let sit for 10 mins, then flush with hot water.