PDA

View Full Version : Party Planners: Need a theme for DH's B-day party

ha98ed14
01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
I am having a small party with DH's guy friends and their wives and young kids. So I guess it is a "family party," but I would like it to have a "guy-ish" theme. Problem is my H is not into sports, so no favorite teams or anything athletic. He is a creative type, builds things, handy sort. He does have a penchant for Scotch and Cloves as do his friends. Any one have any ideas for a theme? He will be 37.

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
I know I'll think of something better later but to get the ball rolling and bump this thread up...video games? We have had a blast having parties with our Wii lately so that's why it is on my mind. We have had "bowling" parties, for example.

Do you need a theme? I haven't really done a theme for a grown up party before. But, I'll think on it some.

Beth

elektra
01-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I am so bad at themes and such for parties. I need to throw my own DH a bash in March (his big 4-0), so I'll be looking for ideas too!

s_gosney
01-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I think Beth's bowling idea sounds fun. People could dress the part for extra kicks.

Or what about poker?

I have a friend who had an ugly sweater party which I thought was a fun idea too, although maybe not very birthday-ish.

Meatball Mommie
01-31-2009, 07:27 PM
We did the "ugly sweater" thing at our business holiday party this year. It was hilarious! Some people bought really ugly sweaters at Salv. Army, others decorated plain sweaters with really ugly stuff (pompoms, plastic bugs, christmas tinsel...) It was an amusing conversation starter!

With the party you're planning, is it for a particular occasion or just a get together? If it's a family thing you could plan the theme around a particular movie that you're a fan of...Indiana Jones series, Star Wars... or do a Hawaiian (or other cultural) theme (that would lend itself to interesting meal ideas!)... or a time period (I've always wanted to have an 80's party!)

If you could give a little more info on when the party will be and some things your dh or family likes, I could give some more ideas. Once you pick a theme, it's pretty easy to look online and find stuff for decoration (if you want to go that route), food ideas, games...

I love themes, and I'm more than willing to help you! I'm disappointed that my youngest wants a motocross party for his 4th bday because he had a race car party last year and in my mind, it's too similar! I need to work on him to pick something else ;)

edited for spelling

ha98ed14
01-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Star Wars! That's It! All his friends love it and it will be perfect because the kids can relate to it too. THANK YOU Meat Ball Mommie! That will be perfect...

Any ideas for themed food? If only they made a beer called "Skywalker Ale." That would be a hit!

fivi2
01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
PPs had great suggestions. MeatballMommie mentioned doing a time period - you could do the decade/year he was born. That would be the 70s, right? You could have a lot of fun with that. games from the 70s for the kids, music, clothes, a disco ball :)

eta: oops - I was too late - Star Wars sounds like a lot of fun!

ha98ed14
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
PPs had great suggestions. MeatballMommie mentioned doing a time period - you could do the decade/year he was born. That would be the 70s, right? You could have a lot of fun with that. games from the 70s for the kids, music, clothes, a disco ball :)

eta: oops - I was too late - Star Wars sounds like a lot of fun!

I think the 70's would be a great idea, I just worry I am not that creative and don't have time (and money) to run around a and buy some lava lamps and all the other cool stuff that would pull it off, but it would be awesome. But maybe I will throw one like that for his 40th. That would be better than over-the-hill! Thanks!

JTsMom
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I know almost nothing about SW, but if you google it with theme party you'll get a ton of hits. A lot of them are for kids' parties, but that might give you some ideas for the little ones. Then google the same thing, but add "adult", and you'll get a bunch more.

I vote that you dress up like Princess Leia. :D