PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this babysitter situation??

lizajane
01-31-2009, 07:16 PM
on thursday, i asked one of the nannies at our preschool playground if she would like to babysit this weekend. she said yes, she was free all weekend. i told her i would love for her to come at 6pm on saturday. i went on to say how excited i was that we had her lined up because DH and i haven't spent much time together lately and that we had planned to look for rugs for our living room- which we could do in the evening when she came at 6pm. she called my phone so i would have her number and i told her i would see her at 6pm on sat.

so just before 5pm today, i texted her with our addy and home phone number in case she wanted to call instead of mapquest.

got a text back that she "assumed since she didn't hear from me that i didn't need her" so she went to visit her parents. 3 hours away. DH had to call her THREE times before she answered the phone. she told DH that i sounded like i was making a "suggestion" about babysitting, not plans.

i don't even know how to face her on the playground next week (when she is there to nanny for my friend.) i am furious. i can't believe how irresponsible she was. DH always says young people think they are so "entitled" and i always resisted agreeing. but this takes the cake. we made plans TWO DAYS AGO. it isn't like i asked her 3 weeks ago and then just sent her directions tonight.

am i crazy? would you be mad??

ETA: the world's most awesome DH called about 5 people until he found someone else who could come between 7 and 7:30 so we could still go out. i hardly ate lunch today in preparation for a nice dinner and now i am starving. it was SO thoughtful of him to calmly call people while i was so mad.

ha98ed14
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
At the very least, I would think she was a flake. But yes, given that is was only 2 days ago, I would be p.o.'d Did you leave it with her by saying, "I will call you to confirm."? Cause unless you said something open-ended like that, I would have assumed you were on for sure. Sorry it happened but glad you have your night back.

egfmba
01-31-2009, 07:58 PM
first: :hug: that sucks.

if she sincerely apologizes, i'd accept the apology and just never trust her again.

if she doesn't apologize at all and still tries to make it seem like your fault, i'd simply say, "you agreed to come over at 6 on saturday and you flaked. don't try to put it off on me. if you didn't want to work this weekend, you should have just said so. if you changed your mind about working this weekend, you should have just been responsible and sucked it up and did the job (that's what grownups do - they honor their commitments). put on your big girl panties and just own it."

her decision to drive 3 hours away rather than just admit she changed her mind is extremely (insert user agreement violation here). it infuriates me for you. whatever happens, just don't bother with her. she's not worth your time. she can't be trusted in business or personally, IMO, because she knows you as an acquaintance and then, when you tried to give her your business she does this to you. keep it superficial & civil, but that's it.

eva

KBecks
01-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Maybe it's a misunderstanding because she didn't get your address until only an hour before she was to arrive. Like she expected it earlier as a confirmation?

I'd just say, hey what happened, treat it like a miscommunication, and move on the best you can. I'm sorry your plans got messed up, it's so stressful to deal with.

KrisM
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe it's a misunderstanding because she didn't get your address until only an hour before she was to arrive. Like she expected it earlier as a confirmation?

I'd just say, hey what happened, treat it like a miscommunication, and move on the best you can. I'm sorry your plans got messed up, it's so stressful to deal with.

I agree with this. I think maybe since she hadn't heard from you with an address or a phone number, she may have thought you hadn't confirmed.

Sillygirl
01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Next time, mention how much you're paying. Assuming it's enough, that should solidify plans really quickly. As much as it sounded like a done deal in your ears, I think it's not completely unreasonable that she didn't think there was a firm commitment yet.

pinkmomagain
01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
"Maybe it's a misunderstanding because she didn't get your address until only an hour before she was to arrive. Like she expected it earlier as a confirmation?

I'd just say, hey what happened, treat it like a miscommunication, and move on the best you can. I'm sorry your plans got messed up, it's so stressful to deal with."

I agree with this pp too.

mommy111
02-01-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm so sorry that happened :hug: I would at least have expected a phone call with a, are we all set this Sat or should I make plans with my parents? If she called you from her cell, she must have had your phone no, right, so no excuse to not call and ruin your Sat evening!!!!
BUT: Awesome for you that you have such a great DH and that he worked it out. Hope you had a great dinner and a good time out with DH!

ThreeofUs
02-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Oohhh... Sorry this happened to you!

I'd also treat it as a misunderstanding - though I'd be FURIOUS, no mistake - and move on.

What a great DH you have! :)

mom_hanna
02-01-2009, 11:11 AM
I would be mad. We have had so much trouble with babysitters flaking out at the last minute with lame excuses, that we rarely go out much anymore. It is too frustrating to get your plans waylaid at the last minute. I am glad your dh found you a sitter and you still got to go out!

lizajane
02-01-2009, 12:27 PM

i might have thought that way if she didn't leave for her trip on FRIDAY. since i talked to her thurs, i think calling her sat am would have been perfectly reasonable if she really did need a confirmation. but she was already long gone. obviously, since i told her "see you sat at 6pm" before i left the playground, i did not think i needed confirmation. just directions. which i provided.

DH found someone else. so we went out and had a great time. that is what matters.:love-retry:

MamaKath
02-01-2009, 03:07 PM
DH found someone else. so we went out and had a great time. that is what matters.:love-retry:

I am glad you got to go out! It sounds like a much needed date and an awesome dh.

As for sitters, I have had a heck of a time finding anyone lately. I have started to call to confirm about a day or 2 before with things like "I wanted to confrim you are coming Saturday at 6. We don't keep a lot of snack stuff in the house, is there anything you would enjoy while you're there? Also I wanted to confirm the hourly rate so I have cash on hand." I have been flaked out on with babysitting and petsitting a ton of times in the last 2-3 years!!!