PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Sickness & Night wakings...

tmarie
02-01-2009, 01:01 AM
DD is 7mo old and has been sick for two weeks. She has been waking up during the night 3-5 times and then has a terrible time getting back to sleep. We have finally given in to giving her bottles b/c that is the only thing that helps. Tonight we tried it and she still cried hysterically when we tried to get her back down. We are exhausted. Dh thinks we need to let her CIO, I think we need to rock her even if it means no sleep for one or both of us. Just curious to hear what others do. I'm sure the sickness/trouble sleeping happens to most of us at some point!

One last note...dd is acting like she has an ear infection IMO, but she was just at the pediatrician yesterday and ears were clear.

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 6/08

KpbS
02-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I would be thinking teething at this point. Any teething signs other than the misery at night? We have had some wretched teething times here--esp. at night--and I feel your pain. If the ears are clear and other signs and symptoms point to teething I'd give motrin and see if it helps.

Hope tonight's a better night

Tondi G
02-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Could be teething... could be an EI. I learned that lesson the hard way. I took my DS in and the ped said his ears were clear. He got stuffy and within 2 days he had a full blown double ear infection. My DH thought I was crazy taking him back in but said "ok, Mommy knows best" when I told him what the ped had found. An ear infection can easily develop in a day or two... especially if she is or has been sick and congested. Their little tubes are not as verticle when they are under 2 and fluid can collect easily!

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
When they are sick that is the time for TLC not CIO. I would do whatever it took for everyone to get sleep. It's going to pass- it won't be a forever thing where you are setting up horrible habits. I would probably have the ears rechecked too. Did they use that fancy gizmo w/ the electronic readout? They used that on ds2 when they were a little suspicious and there was indeed something abnormal going on in there. Might not have been caught with the other thing.

I hope she feels better!!

Beth

Melbel
02-01-2009, 02:06 PM
DD is 7mo old and has been sick for two weeks. She has been waking up during the night 3-5 times and then has a terrible time getting back to sleep. We have finally given in to giving her bottles b/c that is the only thing that helps. Tonight we tried it and she still cried hysterically when we tried to get her back down. We are exhausted. Dh thinks we need to let her CIO, I think we need to rock her even if it means no sleep for one or both of us. Just curious to hear what others do. I'm sure the sickness/trouble sleeping happens to most of us at some point!

One last note...dd is acting like she has an ear infection IMO, but she was just at the pediatrician yesterday and ears were clear.

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 6/08

Our DD2 is doing EXACTLY the same thing and she has a confirmed ear infection. For our LO, I think the nursing/swallowing helps relieve the pressure in the ear, so she constantly wants to feed. We started the antibiotics yesterday and hope for better sleep tonight. Is your DD running a fever? If so, I would have ears rechecked. Is she teething? If either a fever or teething, have you tried Tylenol or Motrin? I personally would not ever CIO if there is a medical reason for the crying. Good luck!

lisams
02-01-2009, 02:25 PM
It could be an ear infection in the works. There may be fluid building up which causes discomfort and eventually can become an ear infection. She probably feels crummy and wants to sleep but just can't. I wonder if some Tylenol would help her?

All of the sleep experts agree that you should not do CIO when a child is sick or in discomfort. Being left to cry will only increase her stress hormones which interferes with the body's immune system. You know how we as adults are more likely to get sick and stay sick longer when we're stressed? That's because of those stress hormones. Studies have shown that babies left to cry for extended periods have higher levels of stress hormones. She needs you, she feels crummy and she can't take care of herself like we as adults can.

Go with your mommy intuition.

I hope she's feeling better soon and that you all are getting a good night's sleep very soon. Hang in there!