PDA

View Full Version : 3rd on the way, now what?

JdrKuhnert
02-01-2009, 02:58 AM
I am expecting my 3rd in the fall. DS1 will be 3.5 and DS2 will be 1.5. I have a Valco runabout with toddler seat for my daily stroller, which I do not really like, a Bob Ironman duallie for jogging, and a Peg Perego Aria Twin for traveling. The Valco is a pain to steer when DS1 is in the toddler seat. We live in Berlin and do a lot of walking and public transportation. We only use the car for big shopping, dropoffs at grandma's house, or bigger trips. DS1 will be in preschool when #3 arrives and we'll be walking 15min to get there. We cross big streets, etc so I need something to transport my herd safely through town. I thought about buying a buggy board for the Valco, but I'm afraid that it will then be a royal nightmare to steer with DS2 in toddler seat, baby, and DS#1 on the board. The Aria Twin is just not good for daily walks on cobblestones. The Bob isn't suitable for a newborn and I don't think that I could attach a Buggy Board to it.
I need a workhorse with a narrow profile, suitable from birth, and able to drive through snow and bumpy roads. Does anyone have any hints or advice?

Thanks,

WatchingThemGrow
02-01-2009, 08:41 AM
I'll be in roughly your same situation, but not quite in the same type of locale. If DD gets into the preschool across the highway, my plan is to put the baby either a)in the Ergo/Bjorn with the bigger 2 in the BJCED or b)in the stroller with the middle one while the 3.25 yo walks and rides on the Valco Hitch Hiker board attached to the back. It is a double similar to your BOB, but a bit more narrow, with different wheels that make it maneuverable indoors.

Are you able to take you BOB indoors at the preschool? What year is it? If it is a 2006 or newer, you may be able to use a carseat adapter to make it suitable for a newborn. On this (http://www.rei.com/product/750873) page it shows the compatibility for the adapter with the duallies and different carseats.

JdrKuhnert
02-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the link about the carseat adapter. It looks like that wont be an option, either. We have a German carseat and they are a little different. I don't think that it will be compatible. I can't even hook it on a shopping cart in the US.
I have to figure out what I need (want) early so that I can start working on my husband. He eventually caves, but it requires a bit of finesse. He doesn't fully understand the entire stroller fleet thing, but he's getting there.

edurnemk
02-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I have an UPPABaby Vista, the 2009 model which can take a rumble seat (kind of like the Phil & Teds), and also a toddler board, so potentially it can transport 3 kids. I haven't tried it like that, since I only have 1. I can tell you that at leat with one kid it's super easy to steer and does great on bumpy sidewalks, grass and snow.

I honestly think anything that can haul 3, will be a pain to steer. So I'd say you're best bet would be to wear the newborn in a carrier or sling and put the other 2 in a good double stroller. Then on the way back if you don't want to wear the baby you can transfer him/her to the stroller if it has full recline. I love wearing my baby for short trips, it's really easy and the babies love it.

Now I don't know which strollers are available in Germany or if you plan on buying it in the US, but one that a lot of people on this board love is the Baby Jogger City Elite Double. It reclines enough for a newborn, has all-terrain tires with suspension, great canopies and folds very easily. It's also not to heavy for this type of stroller. They also sell an optional bassinet that snaps unto it.

Another double that I've only seen online, and is available in Europe is the iCandy Pear. It has a lot of different configurations.

kate2128
02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a Vista, too. As soon as that rumble seat comes out, this will be my double stroller. And I'm waiting to find the piggy back board on sale so I can use that for my 4 yo ds in very extreme situations. We live in an urban area and I love it. Right now I usually end up wearing my dd who is 3 months and putting my 2 year old ds in the stroller and my 4 yo holds onto the side of the stroller. It's been working great so far, we've only had it for about 3 weeks.

JdrKuhnert
02-02-2009, 02:55 AM
I am intrigued by the Vista with rumble seat. Does anyone know if it can be used with the bassinet so that an infant could ride? I wonder how it steers with a child in the rumble seat. In theory, the Valco with toddler seat was a great idea. However, it is so difficult to steer with my son sitting right over the front wheel. I don't want to end up with the same problem.

jjjo1112
02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
What about a Jane Powertwin with ride on board? I have the Powertwin for my 3 and 2 year old and really love it. Easy to steer, navigates through any store. I am expecting #3 any day now and plan on using the Powertwin for newborn and 2 year old and either having 3 year old work or getting the ride on board, depending how 3 year old does. I had tried a Valco with toddler seat, Phil and Ted's with double seat and a Baby Jogger City Series Double before ending up with the Jane. As far as the Vista with rumble seat, it looks like both kids will have to face you, I know my 2 year old would prefer to look at the world. Also some of the things I didn't like with the phil and teds look like they would be the same on the vista, lack of sun coverage for back child, lose the ability to recline both kids at the same time, and of course the lack of view from the back seat (which for me wasn't an issue until DD was a little older.) Just another point of view. Good Luck. Jackie
Jackie
DS 9/05
DD 12/06
expecting DD 1/09

kate2128
02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't know about the rumble seat and bassinet, but I think I read somewhere that you'll be able to use it with the carseat on the adaptor. Not the same as the lovely bassinet, but at least usable from day one. You could always email Uppa Baby to ask, they were super when I had questions before ordering mine.