PDA

View Full Version : Pots & pans question

gavsmompa
02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
We are in need of a whole new set of pots and pans. I know there is so much out there but have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations for a set? I prefer to get a set vs. buying individually.

MommytoEliana
02-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been thrilled with my All-Clad stainless set. They're an investment, but they should last forever.

wellyes
02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I recommend stainless steel instead of nonstick (potential health issues) or cast iron/enamal (too heavy).

geochick
02-01-2009, 12:18 PM
The reviews say:
All Clad Stainless (high end)
and
Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless (budget)

Personally, I love me some All Clad! Once you go All Clad, you won't go back.

Reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/cookware

Read the full review too:
http://www.consumersearch.com/cookware/review

heatherlynn
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
My All Clad is worth its weight in gold! Love it!!

nellonello
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
All-Clad!!! Just bought these after having Circulon and we absolutely love them. We got ours at Macy's and they let us substitute pans in and out of a set so that we got the exact set we wanted.

tylersmama
02-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Love my All-Clad. Just make sure before buying a set that you will actually use all the pieces of the set, otherwise, it's probably more cost-efficient to buy individual pieces.

I've had my All-Clad almost 8 years and it looks practically brand new.

mom2224
02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Any recommended websites or B&M places to purchase All Clad stainless? Has anyone seen a good deal lately?

gavsmompa
02-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok, stainless steel it is. I would also like to get a cast iron skillet. Should I go for an enamel, one that is treated or not? Confusing with all the options.

WatchingThemGrow
02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Any recommended websites or B&M places to purchase All Clad stainless? Has anyone seen a good deal lately?

At www.metrokitchens.com, I was able to find a set of All-Clad that had exactly what I wanted, then I added another piece, I think. They sent me a few bonuses that were fun as well. good deal!

mom2224
02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks WTG! It was great to read this thread. OP, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread.

wellyes
02-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I would also like to get a cast iron skillet. Should I go for an enamel, one that is treated or not?

For $20 or $30 you can get a (IMO) priceless Lodge cast iron skillet that will serve you well for a lifetime. IMO get the pre-seasoned, it costs almost the same and saves you a lot of time. It's worthwhile to prep the pan before using it even if you get it pre-seasoned. To season, just coat it all over with Crisco and put it in a 300 degree oven for a couple hours. To season one that is untreated, you just have to repeat the Crisco process over & over again for a while.

Enamal over cast iron can be great if you get a really good brand (Le Creuset) but it costs WAAAAY more to do essentially the same thing. I have a cast iron skillet and a Le Creuset dutch oven, and they're both great, but if I could only have one I'd pick the skillet.

hellokitty
02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
TJ Maxx is having some really good deals on tri-ply open box items right now. I just got home and spent a ton of $ on a bunch of Calphalon tri-ply (which I like second best to the all-clad). These pieces were on clearance for only $20-$30 each, I probably over-bought (I watch prices closely and these are pretty darn good prices), but may return some after talking it over with DH. I have many of the SS Classic Cuisinart, which I like, BUT I have been coveting the nice smooth bottoms of the tri-ply pots and pans. They also had a bunch of All Clad stuff too, no sets, open box things, I think some are considered 2nds b/c of minor blemishes, nothing that would affect the function of the pot/pan, but more of a looks kind of thing. I really like the look of the all-clad SS, but really the Calphalon SS tri-ply is very close in quality, the prices are still high, BUT not as high as the AC, so I am slowly switching out my pots and pans with tri-ply, whether it's AC or Calphalon, it doesn't matter to me, whatever I can get the best deal on, but I'm basically doing it piece by piece and my policy about house stuff like this is that I only buy it when it is deep clearance. Quite honestly, my patience has always paid off.

hellokitty
02-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Oh and I wanted to add that I have a Lodge Logic enameled cast iron pan and I LOVE it. I also have a Mario Batali Dutch Oven and LOVE that too. Once again I went the cheaper route for my enameled cast iron, BUT I don't regret it. The Le Creuset is nice, but it is just so expensive, even when scouting it out at stores like TJ Maxx, the price never gets low enough to my liking. To be honest, I like the Lodge Logic more than the Mario Batali and the good thing is that the Lodge Logic is pretty cheap. I noticed last time I went to Walmart, that they now carry the Lodge Logic enameled cast iron series. It's very affordable.

gavsmompa
02-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Can anyone explain what the difference is between tri-ply and the standard stainless that All-Clad sells? I know CalphalonIs one better than the other? Is it a matter of heat conducting?

Also, in terms of cast-iron, I read reviews on consumersearch.com saying to skip the enamel-finished coating for skillets and go for the standard coating. They say over time that the coating on skillets made by Le Creuset can chip and does not justify the over $100 charge vs. purchasing a Lodge cast iron skillet. I see that Le Creuset offers a lifetime warranty. I would think if it chipped that would be covered? Is having an enamel coating alll that much better? Also, if I buy a preseasoned skillet, how often do you have to re-season it?

kcimato
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Here's a site that sells 2nds of All Clad.I was all set to order from there last year,when WS had some all clad pieces for 1/2 off. They were a display model and were discontinuing that particular LTD edition. It was not dishwasher safe but I wash my pans seperately. This place is in PA.

kellij
02-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I got my set of All-Clad Christmas 07. I ordered it during a friends and family coupon time. So I got 20% off the set and free shipping. I love it. My husband super duper loves that it's dishwasher safe.