PDA

View Full Version : need help!

drvns
02-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I am 4'11' weighing in at 98 pounds, my 10 mnth old son is about 18 pounds, I am looking for the best kind of carrier which is comfortable for him, not neccessarily for me, any type of carrier, wrap, sling, structured etc but not the ring sling, which should be okay for my size, but most comfortable for him as he will be proabably be carried in it for a long time.I am trying to get one where maybe he can also easily sleep in, for I shall be using it on a flight and he may prefer that compared to the bassinet? Can anyone please help? please do suggest from your experience which you think worked best for you? I had posted before but recieved no replies, I am not at all particular about one type of carrier, anything is fine as long as it keeps the baby comfortable, even if that means i might be tying it on and off.I am just looking to buy the best one available, please do feel free to give me advice on anything you feel is good out there or which you might have used for yourself? I was reading up on the ergo and read that it doesnt work welll for petite frames? is that true? if not the ergo would you recommend the beco or pikkolo? I really dont understand whats the difference between them both? when I read the description they both seemed same.I am totally at a loss, I was using the baby bjorn upto now but feel that its just too uncomfortable for an older sized baby who might have to hang it from a long time.I do have a baby k'tan but I dont know whether its me or the k'tan, the size just seems too small and kind of tight for him when I put him into it, although I got the size which was meant for me! any help is deeply appreciated, just feel free to vent your thoughts, please?

amandabea
02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Not petite, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I used both a Babyhawk (mei tai carrier) and a Beco (soft-structured carrier). Both worked really well for my DD and I. I'm 5'3" and short torsoed, but no where near 98#.

I'm struggling to recall the name of another SSC that I read was good for petite mamas and I can't, but if you read through some posts on thebabywearer.com forums you'll find more information than you'll ever need.

Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
The Beco Butterfly is supposed to be good for petite (especially short torsoed) people. I am 5'2" and had both an Ergo and Beco and preferred the Beco. My dh, who is 6', can wear it comfortably too. It just happens to be a good fit for smaller parents too. I bought mine used through frogmama.com.

Beth

Ceepa
02-01-2009, 04:20 PM
For almost more info. on carriers than you can absorb, go to www.thebabywearer.com. :) Lots of knowledgeable parents.

Eve
02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I haven't travelled with my LO and she's only 11bs now, but i am 5"1" and i have an Ergo. I found it to be way to big for me (my DH uses it). I just got a Beco and haven't used it yet but it seems like it will fit me better. BUt i just went to Disney with my LO yesterday and I carried her in a wrap for 1/2 the day and nursed her in it anyone seeing or without rewrapping her. I did have to position her a little lower in order to nurse (i just had her in the pocket cross carry -- wrapyourbaby.com/pocketwrapcrosscarry.htm ). I made my own wrap so I can't give you a name brand but I think that may be the most comfortable thing for traveling for your LO. I have heard that the Moby and Sleepy Wrap are snuggly and comfortable but since you have a little older child you may want something with less "give" in the fabric or else your back may start to hurt or LO might sag. So hope all this helps.

drvns
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
:)thanks, lots of info, sure helps!!!

wendibird22
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm 5'2" and 118lbs and prefer my Beco 4thGen over my Ergo. Seems to fit me better.

cath_b
03-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I haven't travelled with my LO and she's only 11bs now, but i am 5"1" and i have an Ergo. I found it to be way to big for me (my DH uses it). I just got a Beco and haven't used it yet but it seems like it will fit me better. BUt i just went to Disney with my LO yesterday and I carried her in a wrap for 1/2 the day and nursed her in it anyone seeing or without rewrapping her. I did have to position her a little lower in order to nurse (i just had her in the pocket cross carry -- wrapyourbaby.com/pocketwrapcrosscarry.htm ). I made my own wrap so I can't give you a name brand but I think that may be the most comfortable thing for traveling for your LO. I have heard that the Moby and Sleepy Wrap are snuggly and comfortable but since you have a little older child you may want something with less "give" in the fabric or else your back may start to hurt or LO might sag. So hope all this helps.

I saw this demo on you tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyRoLuoAlE0) yesterday and was amazed at how much hold the Sleepy Wrap has. The mom has two kids but she demonstrated the wrap on her 4 year old and the kid did not sag or anything like that. I included a link to the video.

JacksMommy
03-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Honestly, your son is likely to be comfortable in any high quality carrier! There are tons out there that are comfy for both you and him, so don't sacrifice yourself :)

Another buckle carrier would be an easy transition from the Bjorn. I agree that an ERGO is likely to be a poor fit for you since you are small. Both Beco and Pikkolo are good options for petite mamas. The Beco has a padded waist belt, which makes it very supportive. The pikkolo is a little more flexible because the waist belt is an extra accessory, which you can remove - this means you can do high back carries with it. You can also roll the body to make it shorter. I would think that both carriers would be equally comfortable for your child.

For sleeping on a flight, I'd go with a pouch, something like the Kangaroo Korner Ajdustable Fleece Pouch (so cozy, and great if you get cold on the plane).

HTH!