PDA

View Full Version : I need a fool proof, loud, alarm clock

kijip
02-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I bought my current alarm clock for my first apartment when I was 17. It has been pretty hit and miss over the last year- the buzz alarm works, but not always the radio/CD alarm. Which was not an issue since I always woke up in the morning even without an alarm. And now the buzzer on this alarm is not enough to wake me when I am super tired either.

Now I have a baby who needs to be woken up in the middle of the night to eat. I am concerned that if I let him sleep through all the time (which he will do- sleep about 7 hours at least, that is as long as I have accidentally stayed asleep), my milk supply will take a hit and we will lose the gains we have made on him gaining weight. He was born at 36 weeks and left the hospital at 6 pounds 2 ounces and is now 7 pounds 3 ounces, most of that in the last 2 and 1/2 weeks- it took him awhile to start gaining. As such I try to feed him no less than every 3ish hours at night and we feed on cue during the day, about every 1.5-2.5 hours. He is pretty much asleep unless we wake him from 10PM till 6 AM. Since he does not wake up to eat, I need to set a:

LOUD Alarm to rouse me because with a new baby to care for, it's not like if not otherwise disturbed I am going to pop out of bed every 3 hours magically. Or since the tiniest baby noise wakes me maybe one that sounds like Finn sneezing, LOL.

Any suggestions? We want one that plays CDs and has a radio but also has a LOUD, un-ignorable buzzer. The company that made mine is no longer making them.

Also, do moms of smaller, slower gaining infants have any ideas on when I should not worry about letting him sleep 4, 5 or 6 hours?

ETA: I was using my photo timer, which is super loud but that only goes for 60 minutes. And waking myself up every 60 minutes seems counter to the best interests of my health. And Finn won't/can't/should not wake up every hour for food. I have only messed up a few times and slept for more than 3.5 hours but my alarm is very hit or miss, so I need a new one.

brittone2
02-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I bought my current alarm clock for my first apartment when I was 17. It has been pretty hit and miss over the last year- the buzz alarm works, but not always the radio/CD alarm. Which was not an issue since I always woke up in the morning even without an alarm. And now the buzzer on this alarm is not enough to wake me when I am super tired either.

Now I have a baby who needs to be woken up in the middle of the night to eat. I am concerned that if I let him sleep through all the time (which he will do- sleep about 7 hours at least, that is as long as I have accidentally stayed asleep), my milk supply will take a hit and we will lose the gains we have made on him gaining weight. He was born at 36 weeks and left the hospital at 6 pounds 2 ounces and is now 7 pounds 3 ounces, most of that in the last 2 and 1/2 weeks- it took him awhile to start gaining. As such I try to feed him no less than every 3ish hours at night and we feed on cue during the day, about every 1.5-2.5 hours. He is pretty much asleep unless we wake him from 10PM till 6 AM. Since he does not wake up to eat, I need to set a:

LOUD Alarm to rouse me because with a new baby to care for, it's not like if not otherwise disturbed I am going to pop out of bed every 3 hours magically. Or since the tiniest baby noise wakes me maybe one that sounds like Finn sneezing, LOL.

Any suggestions? We want one that plays CDs and has a radio but also has a LOUD, un-ignorable buzzer. The company that made mine is no longer making them.

Also, do moms of smaller, slower gaining infants have any ideas on when I should not worry about letting him sleep 4, 5 or 6 hours?

I don't have any great advice on when to start letting him go longer at night, but I think you are on the right track w/ waking him...I think between him being on the early side (and perhaps he's a little less efficient with his nursing as a result? I dunno. You know your little one, obviously), and being slow to gain until recently, the waking is a good idea for now. I'd get a good pattern of weight gain, etc. going and make sure you are comfy with your supply, etc. before letting him sleep more than 3-4 hours...but that sounds like the plan you have already. So I'm really no help!!

egoldber
02-01-2009, 01:12 PM

I would wait until he show consistent, appropriate weight gain over at least a 2 week period.

Although we never had this problem, since my slower growing infant STILL does not sleep that long at night. ;)

kijip
02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
(and perhaps he's a little less efficient with his nursing as a result? I dunno. You know your little one, obviously)

We have had his suck evaluated by 2 different, quality, LCs and it seems fine. I think the main issue is that he is small and thus really can only eat so much at a time. And in order for those smaller feedings to equal weight gain, he needs a lot of them. When he nurses too quickly (swallowing every suck at a rapid pace) or I am engorged and he nurses for a long time, he loses most of the feeding- there is just not a lot of room in there I guess. He does fine with longer, leisurely feedings after I have pumped off a bit of the excess milk or 1-1.5 hours after the last feed so I am not engorged. Because he was slow to gain (only gained 4 ounces in the first two weeks after leaving the hospital), we have offered him a supplement (usually breast milk in a bottle) a few times a day after and before nursing but he is rarely hungry for it and most of it goes to waste. Now that he is has gained 6-7 ounces a week for the last two weeks, we are offering fewer supplements since he was not usually hungry for them anyways (he will drink from a bottle if he is hungry).

ETA: Per the ped, we are calling in Monday since F has been urping up more and more since his last appointment a week ago and the ped thinks it might be reflux because of the slow gain despite what seems to be a decent supply of milk and is a lot of feedings. But since he sleeps for a long time and is not in the least bit fussy (I keep waiting for him to "wake up" now that we are past his due date but when awake he is alert and calm unless we have the audacity to strap him in his carseat), I wonder how that adds up to reflux. However he does like being upright a lot, especially after feeding and if I put him down he does better in his bouncy seat or very reclined highchair than laying down. It's a mixed bag.

ETA: I know he was very sleepy on the breast for the first couple of weeks but thankfully he is more alert at the breast now and he is easier to wake up at night. Before it was...um...hard. Like strip him down and shake his feet and arms and stroke his face, hire a brass band to startle him hard. Now he is like, oh, I can eat, yummy and wakes up easily for at least 20 minutes to actually eat, followed by snoozy comfort nursing. He just does not wake up on his own in the middle of the night. Of all the things to be a problem, I know. :)

brittone2
02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Hmmm...do you have an overactive letdown by any chance?

I had that with DS but it took me a while to realize it. He would swallow nonstop. And then eventually lose most of it. Just thinking out loud :)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html#symptoms

Even if his suck is fine, any chance he's fatiguing quickly since he was on the earlier side? Not sure if the LC looked at that aspect? I'm probably just repeating stuff you have already considered. Eta: just thinking he may fatigue more quickly because the coordinating suck-swallow-breathe thing might be tough for a little guy born on the early side. Once you pump off a little, it would be easier to coordinate suck-swallow-breathe than when they are gulping constantly. I would think your LCs checked that though. Just trying to brainstorm.

egoldber
02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
In addition to reflux, slow weight gain with increased spitting up could also be a symptom of a food intolerance. Or an intolerance that exacerbates the reflux.

caheinz
02-01-2009, 02:22 PM

I was told that as long as they were back up to birth weight and over two weeks old, it was all right to let them sleep. It took about 3 weeks for these two to get back to birth weight, but they've been gaining steadily. They're around the 3rd percentile now, but since they came around 36 weeks (and the doc's not using a premie growth chart) and have been slowing gaining on the curves (started out slightly below the last curve), we're just going with the flow...

Of course, I'm dealing with two at a time, so my information might have been geared toward me getting any rest....

roobee
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I just use the alarm on my cell phone. It's easy to set and I'm never able to sleep through a ringing phone.

MamaKath
02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I just use the alarm on my cell phone. It's easy to set and I'm never able to sleep through a ringing phone.
This is what I use also. My current one has 3 separate alarms which you cna choose different sounds for. If you don't turn it off or wake up to it, it goes off every 5 minutes for half an hour. It works better than any alarm clock I have ever had!!! Okay with the exception of the days my mother would keep calling me until I got up during college. ;)

mamaoftwins
02-01-2009, 03:26 PM

I got this cheap alarm clock from Bed, Bath & Beyond a few yrs ago, and while simple (no radio, just alarm, and snooze), it is LOUD. Seriously, the loudest I have ever owned.

To answer the above, the boys were born at 35wks, weighed 4lbs 7oz and 5lbs, slow, but steady gains, and I stopped waking them to eat around 8 wks. I wish mine had been as good at sleeping as Finn sounds like he is! ;)

kijip
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I got this cheap alarm clock from Bed, Bath & Beyond a few yrs ago, and while simple (no radio, just alarm, and snooze), it is LOUD. Seriously, the loudest I have ever owned.

I think I am going to get a stand alone alarm clock like that and set it and mine and see if that does the trick. I can sleep through a ringing phone. If he keeps gaining 6-7 ounces a week for 3-4 more weeks, I am going to let him lead the way on sleep. He has been gaining for the last 2 and 1/2 weeks so I think he was mostly just off to a slow start after being early, sleepy and small. Plus or minus an ounce a day, if he keeps it up, seems sufficient. Of course, I'll get input from his pediatrician. Thankfully his pediatrician is actually breastfeeding friendly and did not panic at all over the slow gain.

Ceepa
02-01-2009, 03:49 PM
How about this one that wheels off the nightstand and you chase around the room to turn off? :ROTFLMAO: (I'm kidding, BTW)

http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Mobile-Alarm-Clock-Almond/dp/B000PWLTNA

caleymama
02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I purchased this Sony Clock Radio/CD player (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-CD815-Stereo-Clock-Radio/dp/B000MXYPYW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) for my girls' room last fall at BJs. It also came with a little cord to plug in an MP3 player, which is nice. My only gripe is the placement of the volume & tuning dials (and I wish it was a digital tuner), but neither are deal breakers and DD1 can handle both on her own just fine so they're not that hard! I would love to get one for our room, except the plain jane clock radio we have doesn't really need replacing. I'd definitely recommend it for you!

ETA, in jest, how about one of these ten most annoying alarm clocks (http://www.uberreview.com/2006/03/top-ten-most-annoying-alarm-clocks.htm)?

Melaine
02-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I was told that as long as they were back up to birth weight and over two weeks old, it was all right to let them sleep. It took about 3 weeks for these two to get back to birth weight, but they've been gaining steadily. They're around the 3rd percentile now, but since they came around 36 weeks (and the doc's not using a premie growth chart) and have been slowing gaining on the curves (started out slightly below the last curve), we're just going with the flow...

Of course, I'm dealing with two at a time, so my information might have been geared toward me getting any rest....

That's about the same situation we had. Of course, it was like a year before mine would ever sleep all the way through a feeding to the next one...

I am pretty sure my mom bought my brother a flying alarm clock for a gag gift....(she was probably serious as he IS hard to wake):ROTFLMAO:

kijip
02-01-2009, 04:35 PM
How about this one that wheels off the nightstand and you chase around the room to turn off? :ROTFLMAO: (I'm kidding, BTW)

http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Mobile-Alarm-Clock-Almond/dp/B000PWLTNA

ETA, in jest, how about one of these ten most annoying alarm clocks (http://www.uberreview.com/2006/03/top-ten-most-annoying-alarm-clocks.htm)?

I am pretty sure my mom bought my brother a flying alarm clock for a gag gift....(she was probably serious as he IS hard to wake):ROTFLMAO:

:p:hysterical:

ohiomom1121
02-01-2009, 06:23 PM
There are alarm clocks actually made for the hearing impaired by a company called Sonic Alert (I'm sure there are others too) but these are awesome. They are LOUD, plus they have a vibrator that you put under your pillow that you seriously can't sleep through!!! I searched for them and found this portable one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONIC-ALERT-SHAKING-VIBRATOR-ALARM-CLOCK-SPB100_W0QQitemZ190278551760QQcmdZViewItem

HTH!

Tondi G
02-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I have something similar to this... probably an older generation of this one. Mine doesn't have the projection but I wish it did... thats what our old clock had!

Anyways... mine has a setting that sounds like a clock in a bell tower... I think it said wind chime but it never fails to wake me up and you can control the sound volume. Once my little guy turned the wheel all the way up and WOW was it loud!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=1&SKU=15861177

doberbrat
02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I have my clock on the other side of the room so I have to get up to turn it off.

I actually woke dd up till she was much older - if she nursed 1-2x during the night then we had a good day not nursing hourly and I got to do stuff.

in terms of weight gain the pedi said absolutely till 4w though. she was tiny/early too w/jaundice and latch issues.

Dyonia
02-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Hi Katie,

I second the suggestion from OhioMom! I use an older model of this alarm clock: http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1140_42_123&products_id=17081&hcCsid=9cf666f537100d6945de379491f9b72c

You can choose to wake up to an ear-piercing shriek (you can adjust the volume), a flashing light, or a vibrating puck (put it under the sheet or inside your pillowcase. Or if you really really need it, you can set the alarm to any combination of the above.

It works. No kidding

I will warn you that when DH and I started dating years ago... the first time he slept over, he fell out of the bed because the alarm scared him so bad. What can I say... I forgot to turn it off :-)

If you want to try the vibrating puck alarm, that link above looks like the puck is sold separately. Any of the Sonic Boom alarm clocks would be options for you. They are pricey though. I'm pretty sure I've seen coupon codes for harriscomm.com and I know I've seen the Sonic Boom clocks on Amazon before. It's a little cheaper from this Amazon third-party seller (with the puck included) http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Alert-SB1000ss-Vibrating-Receiver/dp/B000EX9K40/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1233641279&sr=8-7

Good luck on your alarm search! Congratulations on the wee babe!

--Donna