PDA

View Full Version : Chicago early August, places to eat and stay

Jacksonvol
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
DD & I are planning a trip to Chicago in early August. We will be there @ 3 nights. I have been to Chicago several times, but never with DD (who will be almost 6). I'm looking for a good hotel near Water Tower Place. Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Suites near Michigan Ave.? Also, I need kid friendly places for dinner preferably within walking distance.

I think we will hit the Museum of Science & Industry along with American Girl Place. I'm not sure she would be into the Field or Shedd right now. Any other kid things that are fun? We won't have a car, so I'll need something near public transportation.

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
02-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Can't help with hotel because we live here and don't pay much attention to the hotels. But anything near Navy Pier or the Magnificent Mile should be great location-wise.

For food, my kids get a kick out of the Grand Luxe Cafe, owned by Cheesecake Factory. But don't go at peak mealtimes on the weekend - that place gets busy!! Water Tower Place has a nice, upscale food court on the Mezzanine level.

I'm not sure of your dates in August, but do your best to avoid the weekend of the Air & Water Show - the city is a bit of a zoo those days!

As far as places to visit, DS1 loves the Field Museum but will go to Museum of Science & Industry in a pinch (note that MSI is about 7-8 miles south of downtown and through an iffy neighborhood or two - not sure that I'd recommend that you go via bus) - he's a huge science buff, and both museums offer a healthy dose of science. DS1 loves the Museum of Science & Industry the best for the train exhibit. Both like the Shedd (DS1 more than DS2), but the Shedd is $$$ and we can get through it easily in 2-3 hours. Millenium Park is cool in the summer. Navy Pier is horribly overrated (tourist trap) but I've heard that the Children's Museum is good. We usually go play in the fountains immediately west of Navy Pier and then walk north a block or so to play on the small beach (Oak St beach, I think??).

egoldber
02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Friends of mine stayed at that hotel last year and were very pleased with it.

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites Lakeshore and it was very nice, although not quite as good of a location. It was very close to Navy Pier though. And it was easily walkable to AG Place/Water Tower area (about 20 minute walk).

gobadgers
02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
That sounds like a great time to visit - August is the month in Chicago that makes it worth it to live here the rest of the year :-)

Millenium Park is a great place to walk through with kids - there is often free music at the Pritzker Pavillion too, you can check the schedule when it gets closer.

I agree with the PP that it's difficult to get to the Museum of Science and Industry, you may want to consider a taxi to get down there. I'm partial to the Shedd Aquarium, we always have a great time going there - kids or no kids. But it does get expensive too!

I actually enjoy going to Navy Pier - they used to have free trolleys running down there (I think they still do but I'm not positive). It's a great place to just spend a few hours on a hot summer day - there are lots of things interesting for kids, and it's fun to people watch.

Jacksonvol
02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys! I think DD would love Millennium Park. Heck anywhere she can run is exciting for her. Also the beach is a great idea as well. We won't be doing a big summer trip this year, so she could still build sand castles! We have a really great aquarium in Chattanooga that she loves so we might try Shedd.

Oddly, I've taken the bus out to MSI several times and haven't had any problems or worries. Of course, I've never done it with a kid either!

I'm really looking forward to the trip!

mamalia
02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I thought Navy Pier was lots of fun. There was a stained glass exhibit that was really pretty (but I LOVE stained glass) that I think is permanently on exhibit. We didn't get to check out the Children's museum, but I really wanted to, we were just on a short timeframe. We did play in the indoor playground area (stuff like an inflatable obstacle course, mini trains) and DD really enjoyed that. Parking though is outrageous, well (as you probably already know from prior trips) that is true for all of downtown.

Portillo's hot dogs...yum. You can also go through the drive thru and take your Chicago dogs to millennium park. :)

The Shedd was cool, I loved seeing the sea turtles in the entrance area tank. But it is $$$.

The Art Institute of Chicago, especially if they still have free days. I don't know how old your DC is but we make a game out of finding famous works of art, or things in the art. Anything to keep my DD interested enough so that I can enjoy myself too. :)

Sigh, I love Chicago. That's the one big city I would love to live in, but alas it was not meant to be. ;P Have fun!!!

mom2binsd
02-15-2009, 04:21 PM
We took DD to Shedd when she was 4 1/2, she loved it, we ate at their cafeteria which was pretty good too with a great view. You'll probably have to take a taxi to most of the museums etc as the buses are a pain but it isn't too far or $$$.

We've also done the Hancock observatory, on a clear day it's very cool.

I think next visit we'll go to The Museum of Science & Industry and also Lincoln Park Zoo (which is free).

Also I can't remember when Taste of Chicago is but avoid that at all costs! Also if the Bears are playing at home (it's preseason in Aug so probably a non-issue) the area around Soldier Field (and a few museums) is trickier to get to (but not impossible as we did go to Shedd on Sunday October day, ok for taxi dropoff but we had to walk forever up to Michigan Ave to get a taxi as we left!, but the Bears game provided good atmosphere!)

I'd also find out from locals the best beaches to head to, am sure there are ones that are better, cleaner than others and those with good bathroom facilities.

Momof3Labs
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Also I can't remember when Taste of Chicago is but avoid that at all costs!

Taste ends around July 4th every year, so that isn't a conflict with an August visit.

alexsmommy
03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Late to this, but - if you go to Millenium Park, be sure to put a bathing suit under DD's clothes and prepare for her to get wet. The kids can run through the fountain part and she'll see tons of other kids doing it and she'll most likely want to join in. Watch the weather report. Chicago is an outstanding city in summer, but we have the rep for the bad winters, but in August it is not unusal to have have a string of 95 degree plus days. If we are in one of those stretches, hit Millenium early and then go to a nice air conditioned museum. Take water in bottles with you - otherswise you may fall over to find a 16oz bottle of cold water going for $6. Honestly I only find the Navy Pier childrens musuem to be ok, but I do remember thinking it was for older kids so my DS (now 6) might like it better now. Navy Pier is a total tourist trap - but tourists love it. I have found that I like tourist trap stuff when traveling with the kids because it has stuff kids like. We took DS on a whim one Sunday and all winter he has asked when we can go again. DH took DS to Sears Tower and he loved it. You'll be right near the Hancock bldg so you can get the same experience there. Honestly, DS now begs us to take him downtown in summer - just walking along the lake path, getting a hot dog and people watching is fun. Low-mid grade restaurants near that area are used to kids - lots of hotels, thus tourists. This is especially true before 8pm ish. Thinking here - DS l liked Johnny Rockets, he's dying to go to Ed Debevic's (we'll probably take him this summer), he likes Gino's East because he can write on the walls. Most of these are an easy cab ride from that area. As you know - it's very easy to get around. Oh, and DS has requested to go on a carriage ride one day. No vacation for us this summer, so I will probably do some of this. Check online for discounted tickets to things. Have fun!

arivecchi
03-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I live in Chicago and have a toddler. Our favorite kiddie activities: Shedd, Museum of Science and Industry, Lincoln Park Zoo. If you feel comfortable doing this with a 6 year old, I would also do a boat tour on the lake if she likes boats. Agree with PP that Cheesecake Factory and Grand Luxe Cafe are great for kids. I also like Oaktree at 900 N Michigan and Nookies on Wells St. for breakfast. We take our kid to lots of restaurants and it is usually fine, but those are definitely kid-friendly. Have fun!

GraceH
03-09-2009, 05:52 AM
I believe that other than the Navy Pier trolley, the Chicago website says that the other free summer trolleys have been discontinued :-(
Also, be sure to not hype up the beach too much - we have been having beach closings on some summer days (especially later in the summer) and wouldn't want her to be disappointed.
Lincoln Park Zoo is FREE! Although, in August be sure to check the weather/heat index - some days are just miserable sticky.
Stop by the Chicago cultural center - they have tons of info. on what's happening in town (with brochures & maps) - plus, you can pick up discount coupons and free day info. too. Check to see when the air and water show is also in relation to your visit -- once you get closer, the Chicago website should have a cultural events calender pretty well defined - summer months bring Tues. night movies in the park (free), Thurs/Sat orchestral concerts in the park (also free)
Oh, and Chicago has a Rainforest Cafe, which some kids also like to eat at.

DebbieJ
03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Giordanos' on Rush St has great Chicago style pizza and isn't far from your hotel.

hellbennt
03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I really like www.journeywoman.com as a resource :)

here's kids chicago:
http://www.journeywoman.com/kids/chicago_kids.html

here's a general 'women tell women'- it's 4 pages
http://www.journeywoman.com/gfc/womentellwomenchicago.htm

women chat about chicago:
http://www.journeywoman.com/girltalk/woman_chat_about_chicago.html

mini city guide, w/ more links at bottom of page:
http://www.journeywoman.com/girltalk/girl_talk_chicago.html

chicago greeter service (scroll to chicago) sounds interesting!
http://www.journeywoman.com/travel101/guides_worldwide5.htm

restaurants
http://www.journeywoman.com/gfc/BestRestaurantsWorldwide2.htm

scroll down to ice cream info:
http://www.journeywoman.com/BestTravelTips/best_tips_2005-4.html

breakfast: http://www.journeywoman.com/BestTravelTips/travel_tips2001.html

great mani/pedi;)
http://www.journeywoman.com/travel101/flightattendants2.html

enough, lol!
all from:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sitesearch=www.journeywoman.com&q=chicago&start=10&sa=N

Jacksonvol
03-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Wow! Thanks, guys! There are so many great ideas I am really looking forward to planning this trip. She has never seen real skyscrapers before, so I think walking around will be a treat in itself. Good idea on the bathing suit under clothes for the fountains also. Thanks again for everything!