PDA

View Full Version : Is this overkill??

newdaddy09
02-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi all,

Ok so I think we might gone a bit crazy on our baby registry.

Right now we have..

Baby Einstein Activity Mat
Exersaucer ABC 123
FP Sage Papasan Swing
FP rainforest travel Swing
FP rainforest bouncer
Inf Tummy Time Mat

In everyone's expert opinion, do you think we will need all of these toys/products?? :confused:

Also for the activity Mat, I'm wondering if there is anything better then the Baby Einstein mat? I've read and it seems like the tiny love gymini products are very highly rated. Can anyone provide any feedback on this as well.

Thanks in advance for your help,
ND09

Melaine
02-01-2009, 03:49 PM
For most of these, I think it kind of depends on the baby as to what he or she will end up loving....Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing to have lots of things to try!
I would probably skip the tummy time mat and just use the activity mat or maybe a boppy for tummy time. I personally really liked the travel swing as opposed to the bigger ones, although we had both. I've also had excellent luck selling toys on craigslist that we don't use much. For that reason, I'm usually willing to buy something, see if it is loved by my DC, and if not, just sell it...hth

brittone2
02-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah, the problem is you never know what they'll like or hate. Both of my DC liked the bouncy seat. DS tolerated the swing for 10 mins tops on a good day. DD never loved it but tolerated it a little more.

We never did a saucer because of the risk of it possibly contributing to delays. Lots of people use and love theirs though. There are usually an abundance available 2nd hand and it can be nice to go that route if you are convinced you need/want one.

We used a Gymini style mat with DS. I don't know if I ever even unpacked it for DD.

That said, it can be nice to register for t hem so you have the option to try them out and see what your baby likes. Just don't be terribly surprised if all the items are not a huge hit, or if some are only tolerated/used for a short number of weeks/months.

amandabea
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
do you think we will need all of these toys/products?? :confused:

I don't think you need all of those items. For one thing they are going to take up a lot of space and if you don't keep them out, then you might not ever end up using them...at least that's what happens to me with things like these.

We had an activity mat (gymini), a small swing (boppy brand) that was probably used for less than one hour if you add up all the minutes in it, and a small bouncer seat that we got a lot of use out of for the first four months. We could have done without the activity mat and just used a blanket, since I was usually on the ground with toys for DD, but it was cute.

I agree that a lot of it depends on the baby, but I don't think I'd put all of these on my registry. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

vludmilla
02-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I'd pick one swing, not two. The travel one would be my pick if you think you'll really bring it with you somewhere or if you are short on space. I would also skip the saucer. I was given a jumperoo (despite my protests that I didn't want one) and neither I or DD liked it so it was a waste of money and space. I would also wait on the activity mat and just get a boppy pillow to start.

Ceepa
02-01-2009, 04:14 PM
DC never liked the swing so buying both a regular one and a travel one would have been a double waste. At the least I would buy one for home before committing to a travel one as well.

The exersaucer was awesome to have around. But check out consignment stores for used ones to save money. New replacement toys are also available for purchase.

I liked our Gymini activity mat for the earlier months before they're too mobile.

Instead of a dedicated tummy time mat we just spread out a blanket with a couple appropriate toys within reach.

JdrKuhnert
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I think that it is a little too much, but I'm a minimalist when it comes to baby gear. We had a swing and an activity thing for both of our boys. DS1 liked the swing for about 4 months and was uninterested in the activity mat. DS2 liked the swing for the same amount of time and was mildly interested in the activity mat. We sold the swing and bought him the BabyBjorn Babysitter, which he still uses at a year. For the most part, both boys were happiest laying on a blanket on the floor with appropriate toys around them. I would definitely invest in a nice thick blanket for floor time. Babies really don't need all of these gadgets.
Like others have said, you just never know what a baby will like.

Beckylove
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I have the Baby Einstein activity mat. Some babies may be uninterested in activity mats, but my baby loves it and has gotten a ton of use out of it (from 6wks to 6mos so far). He likes that the toys dangle within his reach. He used to stare at them, then reach, now he grabs the toys and shakes them like crazy. It has been fun to watch his progress. He also likes tummy time on it. So I would recommend it, based on my one child's experience.

I also think that two swings is too many. I have one travel swing that we use for all our swinging needs. It folds compactly so I can put it away and not constantly have baby junk everywhere.

I do like the exersaucer for short periods of time, because it is very nice to have him "contained" somewhere while I do the dishes, grab laundry or something and I know he can't roll somewhere and find a little trouble.

Good luck and congratulations!

kijip
02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I would be surprised if your baby loved all that and if all of it got a lot of use. However, you never know if you have a swing baby or a bouncey seat baby or a playmat baby etc until you meet the baby. If you get it all as gifts, you can pick the winners through trial and error and then donate or resell the rest. It will work out fine. With this baby we have a travel swing (small house) that has seen no use and a bouncey seat that has seen enough use to prompt me to obtain a second one (we have a three level house and it is a pita to move it up and down, up and down). So it's sort of a wait and see what baby likes and what works for you. We have a play mat from a friend somewhere but I have not used it yet at all, maybe when baby is older. The only thing I would pare down on your list is just get 1 mat and 1 swing. You can add a second one later on if needed.

My now 5 year old son liked his travel swing, then a doorway jumper and that was pretty much that.

AngelaS
02-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I'd get the travel swing since it's easy to move from one room to another and then get a bouncy so that you have a place to put baby on each level of the house. I'd get one play mat for the floor since they're used for a very short time period and some sort of excersaucer or the jumperoo.

newdaddy09
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow.. thanks for all the responses.. It is definitely appreciated.

One thing I would just like to mention, is that we received all of these gifts from our registry, not that we are looking to buy them. I will admit that it seems a bit of overkill with all of these toys/products.

Don't they say that you use the 1st baby to experiment on?? Well looks like we will doing this.. We've already decided that we will be leaving the travel swing at the in laws, we have kind of like the "Everyone's loves Raymond" setup as our in-laws are only 2 blocks away.

Well thanks again and keep all the advice coming as it definitely helps to avoid the confusion.

ND09

zag95
02-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I would go with one swing, one bouncer, one playmat (we had a Gymini from a friend or you can just use a blanket and dangle things down in front of baby!) and an exersaucer/jumperoo type thing-

If you can- borrow or get these items used- that way it is no big deal- if you need to keep at grandparents house.

The travel swing, can also double as a "bouncer" for the grandparents.

It is a little overwhelming knowing what to get- and it will be trial and error to see what baby likes! Good luck and congrats!

Melaine
02-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I'd say you have particularly accomodating family and friends if they actually gave you that much stuff from your registry!

ahrimie
02-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I tried the Baby Einstein playmat and like the Fisher Price one better. We bought the BE one for my parents' house but she never played with it as much as the FP one we had at home. Even now at 8.5 months, she still sits under it and plays with the butterflies on top or pulls herself up to stand and plays with the "leaves". She also loves loves the toys attachments and we take them everywhere. Definitely got a lot of use out of this one!!

GraceH
02-06-2009, 02:19 AM
I wouldn't...
... but then again, I have very little space. With space and efficiency in mind, for the categories concerned here, we had:
>Graco SnugGlider swing (swing, takes infant seat, folds flat) http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugGlider-Swing-SnugRide-Infant/dp/B000M4K4BY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1233900193&sr=1-1
>Fabric gym (folds, be sure that it has a foam 'ridge' around the edge - it makes it hard for them to get out when they first start rolling around) such as this one http://www.amazon.com/Lamaze-LC97129-Gentle-Vibrations-Gym/dp/B00027CEA0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1233901046&sr=8-2
>simple travel bouncer (they fold up, once baby can sit up, bouncers aren't used as much) like this one http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Bouncing-Buddies-Cradling/dp/B001134IL2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1233899932&sr=1-3
>5-in-1 Adjustable Gym - Little Tikes (grows with child for activity, child desk later) http://www.amazon.com/MGA-1621-5-in-1-Adjustable-Gym/dp/B00079RC5K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1233900249&sr=8-1
Excersaucers, in my opinion, take up an extrodinary amount of floor space and aren't easily moved/hidden for company...