PDA

View Full Version : Hypospadias: experience/info?

Melaine
02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Yikes! I wish I hadn't googled it. I didn't want to see THAT picture. :eek: I mean, it was Wikipedia for heavens sake!

I've been waiting by the phone for over 24 hours to hear my dear friend's baby is finally here! Yay!

My question is this: her little boy was apparently born "without a hole in his p***s". Is this the same as hypospadias or is it a different condition? They said they were currently trying to see if they need to do surgery or if a more serious condition is present...what would that be? I haven't actually spoken to my friend yet as I know she is overwhelmed and exhausted, so I was just hoping to maybe have a couple of words of wisdom or encouragement when I do talk to her. Thanks for any help....no more googling for me!

brittone2
02-01-2009, 03:41 PM
I think it is hard to say without more details. Sometimes hypospadias or similar issues are more common w/ certain syndromes and medical conditions, although it can occur on its own.

Most hypospadias are just an opening that is not at the very tip of the penis. No hole at all is not that common as far as I know...not sure if that is still considered hypospadias.

Melaine
02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks, sounds like things are going better than I originally heard. I really hate to call her so I'm just kind of hanging out on the fringe getting bits of info from different people on the prayer chain at church!

thomma
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm not a hypospadias expert or anything but ds did have one. He had a hole in the regular spot but that's not where the pee came out...he had another hole at the base for that. He also had a chordee which means it was crooked too. Poor kid...took a 3 1/2 hour surgery to repair it then needed a follow 2 hour surgery a year later.

Hope all is well with your friend's baby.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

JBaxter
02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Hypospadias can run in families. My nephew has a pretty signifigant case the hole was under the glands chordee ( nearly right angle upon erection) and had a malformed foreskin. Jack has a very mild case with the hole being off center. Some other male relatives also have it to different degree but they dont discuss it.
Its such as wide range of whats could be wrong from slight to having the urinary opening at the base near the scrotum. Its usually fixed in infancy before potty training that way the little guys dont remember the trauma ( as much) Depending on the case they usuallly dont circ them so they can use the foreskin to graft if they need to. ( as in my nephews case)

gatorsmom
02-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Yikes! I wish I hadn't googled it. I didn't want to see THAT picture. :eek: I mean, it was Wikipedia for heavens sake!

ok, I had to admit, I looked. And um... yeah wish I hadn't now. Couldn't they have just put a nice drawing or pencil sketch instead of full color photo?

I hope your everything goes well for your friend's son.

Dyonia
02-03-2009, 02:59 AM
DS had a hypospadia repair this past summer. Hypospadius is pretty common -- we were told 1 in 200 boys will have the condition.

The simplest explanation is that the penis forms like a hot dog (penis) in a bun (foreskin), and as fetal development progresses the bun "zips" up like a zipper. At some stage in development the "zipping" is interrupted; the lower down on the penis at which that interruption occurs, the more severe the level of hypospadius. The hole for pee can end up anywhere on the shaft or head. Hypospadius also causes the curvature of the penis to be off -- which can also vary in severity.

Due to the malformation of the foreskin, the baby cannot be circumcised in the usual manner. However, the baby will end up being circumcised (so to speak) to repair the hypospadia. The foreskin is used in the repair of the hypospadia.

The surgical repair is fairly straightforward. (It was an outpatient procedure for DS!) Basically the foreskin is removed, the penis is cut open and a catheter is inserted to create a new urethera which will exit in the proper location. The foreskin is stitched over the incision to basically cover the wound and become part of the penis. The penis heals around the catheter, and the catheter is removed, creating the new urethera. When all the bandages are removed, the penis looks normal.

Initial recovery (bandages, catheter, double-diapering) takes a few weeks. Full recovery (as in all the swelling and bruising completely recedes) can take up to a few months depending on how extensive the surgery was. DS's hypospadia was relatively mild.

Our pediatric urologist prefers do to the surgery between 6 and 8 months of age, and if at all possible before the baby turns a year old. As he said, do it while they're relatively immoble and their hands won't be down their pants! This way they will also have no memory of the surgery as they grow.

Hopefully this is the kind of information you were looking for. Feel free to ask questions (if you have any). If your friend is in the SouthWest, I can wholeheartedly recommend an awesome pediatric urologist!

Best wishes to your friend and her new baby boy!

--Donna

pediasd
03-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Hi Dyonia,

I am new to this site.

My 2-year old son have hypospadias.
It was come out yesterday by the gereral
check up at the pediatrician.

I live in Los Angels area.
Could you tell me the good docotor?

Best regards,
pediasd

pediasd
03-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi Dyonia,

I am new to this forum.

Yesterday, it was found that my 2-year son has hypospadias.
I would like him to take good surgery.

Do you know the experienced good doctor aroud Los Angesl area?

Best regards,
pediasd

BabyMine
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
My DS1 had hypospadias and chordee. After he had the procedure to fix it he developed a pocket that filled with urine. He had to have it redone. It was an outpatient procedure and healed quick. It isn't a pretty operation though.

Dyonia
03-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Pediasd,

Unfortunately I don't know of a good pediatric urologist in LA. (We are in Arizona.)

I'd start by asking your pediatrician for recommendations for pediatric urologists in your area. Once you get a few names, you can Google them and decide on who you'd like to try and see.

Since your son's hypospadius was not diagnosed until 2, perhaps he is fortunate and it is a mild one. (I shall pray so at least!)

The surgery itself won't be the hard part, the recovery will be the hard part. How active is your little boy? The reason our pediatric urologist prefers to do the surgery between 6 and 8 months is because at that age, the baby typically isn't crawling, (much less walking) and won't be sticking his hands down his diaper and playing with his penis.

I will do some research and see if I can find out who are the pediatric urologists to see in LA. I can try calling our urologist's office and see if they can suggest any names.

I'll keep your son in my prayers!

HTH,
Donna

pediasd
03-31-2009, 02:54 AM
Hi Dyonia, and BabyMine,

Thank you so much for your posts.

I think that my son has mild one, as the pediatric
said to me.

He is 2 year-old, and he can run and jump.
The recovery part must be hard, but what I
worried about is when he becomes teen and older.

I read that the surgery requires experiencs, and
technique. I can find the name of the doctor,
but it is difficult to tell who is good at the surgery.

Thank you so much for your help.
I will do find the doctor.

Best regards,
pediasd