PDA

View Full Version : anyone used the carseat lady?

wifecat
02-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I know it's not really a bargain to have someone else install your carseat, but is it worth it? We live in an area with a carseat lady (http://www.thecarseatlady.com/) and I'm tempted to have her install our carseat. This, of course, makes hubby more interested in installing it himself (the challenge!). Any advice?

Snow mom
02-01-2009, 06:38 PM
You probably have an organization in your area that checks carseat safety for free. They will show you how to install your carseat (although I've found that a little self-education is still in order to make sure that everything is 100% correct.)

happymomma
02-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I agree with the previous post. I had our carseats installed through our county. You can call the firehouse or police stations. They usually have someone that will do it via appointments. The great thing is that once you are educated, you can use that knowledge again and again.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I would recommend you and your husband learn how to do it. My story...carseats have always been my dh's job because I stink at that sort of thing. Well, the other day our car was in the shop and they decided they had to keep it overnight and got me a rental. I was stuck installing the seats and really regretting never learning how to do it when not in a time crunch with people staring at me. Just learn to do it and have it checked so you'll never be stuck.

Beth

pastrygirl
02-01-2009, 07:18 PM
I would look for a Safe Kids event in your area -- they're free. In my area, there are events weekly, twice a month, and monthly. Check here (https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL) for a certified CPST in your area.

ETA: If you call the fire or police station, make sure they have a currently certified CPST available; not just anyone. I've heard of some crazy things going on if it's a non-CPST police officer for example, like two or three seat belts being used for a single car seat, etc.

tarahsolazy
02-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I also vote for installing it yourself, unless you want to never move it, lol. Also, if you don't know how to install it, you won't know if its installed incorrectly. What if it gets loose, or someone takes it out without consulting you, etc.

Honestly, I think after reading this board for over 5 years, I probably know more about carseats than some people checking them at free events!

You can always get a CPST to check your installation.

wifecat
02-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks everyone! There's a police station by my work that has a certified technician. Will they install it or just check that we installed it correctly (or does it depend on the location)?

MMEand1
02-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone! There's a police station by my work that has a certified technician. Will they install it or just check that we installed it correctly (or does it depend on the location)?

I have never had a police officer install our seats, but when we took the seats to a safe kids event, they always removed the seat first to get the model/serial number and then re-installed it.

It's not hard to learn to install a seat. Read the book and then just follow the directions. Make sure you look in your vehicle owners manual to confirm that you can install it the way you think you can.

Good Luck! I took our seats out this weekend to vacuum out under the seats. When I put them back in, there were 2 men a few houses down that were laughing watching me put the seats back in (I usually sit/kneel in the seats to make sure they are in there tight)...guess they thought that was amusing!!

tarabenet
02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I have to agree: learn to do it yourself. Have an expert double-check your work so you'll know you really have it right. Not knowing how to DIY is just a self-inflicting handicap. It isn't a hard job, but trying to find someone else to do it for you in a pinch would be a PITA.

If/when the time comes to allow others to drive your child around, make sure you train them completely. I was shocked to find out my parents had installed my niece's seat using the lap/shoulder belt but without pulling it all the way to activate the locking mechanism! Which also bring up the point that you need to learn the proper install for your seat for LATCH and non-latch vehicles, just in case there's ever an emergency that put you in a different vehicle temporarily.

KrisM
02-01-2009, 09:51 PM

I've had mine checked a couple times over the years. In all cases, they didn't uninstall them, as they agreed they were in correctly. One person was going to uninstall for the serial number, but I had it written down already and she was fine with that.

pastrygirl
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone! There's a police station by my work that has a certified technician. Will they install it or just check that we installed it correctly (or does it depend on the location)?They should:
* uninstall it -- you never know what's going on with the installation until you uninstall it. I checked a friend's that looked great... until I saw that she had the seat belt going through the RF belt path, for a FF seat.
* take down the info for the seat
* check for recalls, and check that you sent in the registration form for the seat
* talk to you about how to properly install/use the seat -- harness height, tightness, aftermarket product no-no's, projectiles, etc.
* show YOU how to install the seat, with or without physical assistance. I do it both ways. Sometimes the parent really seems eager to install themselves, and in my CPST course we were told NOT to install the seats ourselves... But sometimes I install it myself, especially if the mom is very pregnant.

I tend to focus a lot on the talking part -- about common misuse issues, how and when to change the harness height, and extended rear-facing. I take a long time with my checks because of that... :o

mmsmom
02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I have used the Carseat lady and did not pay anything. I am pretty sure it is a service she/they provide free of charge. She didn't mention a charge with me & I hope after reading this post I didn't stiff her on a fee! She/they are very, very good and if you live in an area to take advantage of them I highly recommend it!

ETA: She does teach you how to do the install. When I met with her she had me uninstall & reinstall the seat several times. She will also review all the the features of the seat, make sure you understand how & when to adjust it, when your child has outgrown it, etc. And she will definitely recommend rear-facing to the limits of the seat.

o_mom
02-01-2009, 10:48 PM

A good technician will remove the seat to find the model number to check for recalls and make sure everything looks OK. They should then teach YOU how to install the seat and watch you put it in. The job of a CPST is not to install seats, it is to educate parents.

Come on over to the carseat board and we can talk you through most anything. :)

niccig
02-02-2009, 12:36 AM
A good technician will remove the seat to find the model number to check for recalls and make sure everything looks OK. They should then teach YOU how to install the seat and watch you put it in. The job of a CPST is not to install seats, it is to educate parents.

Come on over to the carseat board and we can talk you through most anything. :)

Yeah this.

Really really learn how to do it yourself. Once you learn how to your seat works and how you car works, you can do it pretty quickly. A friend refuses to do it, I keep telling her it's not brain surgery, you just have to do it a few times. Her husband left with the infant seat in the car, so she put the convertible her older son had outgrown in the other car for the baby. I then met up with them later in the day. I was standing by the car and looked in the window. She had the seatbelt in the forward facing path for a rear facing carseat, and the harness was on the top slots for a toddler but the baby in the seat - the harness was above the baby's head! They were very lucky that they weren't in an accident that day, as I can't imagine the baby would have stayed in the car seat.

Go to a tech, make sure they TEACH you how to install, do it in front of them. Then practice again at home. Make sure you're very familiar with how your seat works. And this reminds me that I need to teach DH, as I always do the car seat installs. If he got stuck somewhere, I don't know what he would do.

DebbieJ
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Honestly, I think after reading this board for over 5 years, I probably know more about carseats than some people checking them at free events!

AMEN to that! I knew more than the CPST at one of the last checks I went to.