PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose...

bw52
02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
I've got my stroller choice narrowed down to a few. But the problem is that I can't seem to find any of them where I live and have to buy them online. I just want to make sure they each fit my requirements of what I want. So if you have 1 of these strollers, will you please tell me if I'm right in assuming it does everything I want. And also, any pros or cons about the strollers or which you prefer and why. Or suggestions of any others that look like they fit my criteria would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

The strollers on my list are:
Peg Perego Pliko P3
Inglesina Zippy
BJCM?--would any of the BJC work?
UPPAbaby VISTA (I've heard this one might not fully recline. Is that true?)

I want to be able to use the stroller newborn through toddler, so I want:

1. a stroller with a fully recliing seat (I've seen some that recline MOST of the way but not all). I'm a first time mom-to-be, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're are technically supposd to be at a FULL recline.
2. a stroller with the option of putting in the carseat.
3. LIGHTWEIGHT!
4. Easy to fold and unfold! (we just tried some Graco's in the store and I thought it would take me a whole year to learn how to do this! But then again, I've never folded a stroller before, so hopefully I'll get better with practice).
5. a decent basket underneath--I'd like a good size one, but as long as I can fit my diaper bag in there I guess I'll survive.
6. Oh, and enough padding in the seat, especially by his head--and especially when fully reclining a newborn. Or is this something I can buy separately and attach to any stroller that doesn't seem like it has enough padding?
7. AND something that's sturdy and not going to break on me. My dh doesn't particularly like the ones made out of plastic. He thinks they feel too cheaply made. Is this true? Do you know if these are made out of cheap plastic? Is there a way I can tell--by looking online?

I would appeciate ANY help! Thanks so much!!!

Also, am I going to have a prob manuevering these around aisles in the stores (is the wheel base too wide)?

kate2128
02-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I have the UPPAbaby Vista and I love it! It comes with a bassinet, which I love, so the seat not reclining fully isn't an issue because with a newborn, you'd use the bassinet. The basket is huge and maneuverability is great. You can also get a carseat adaptor if you want. And they're coming out with a rumbleseat for the 2009 model so you can use it as a double stroller in the future. I also really like the fact that my baby can face me in this stroller. The customer service from Uppababy is great, too, if you ever have any issues.

I briefly owned a BJ City Classic and the wheel base was very wide for a single. 28" with the wheels because they have these huge things that stick out of the center of the rear wheels.

I've tried the others, too. The BJCM is nice and light and has a great fold. SO SO easy! I love the seat on the P3 and the adjustable handles. The zippy doesn't work for me because I really kick the back, which seems to be a common problem, so that would definitely be one to try before buying, I think.

SO many choices! Good luck deciding!

edurnemk
02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I have the Vista and absolutely love it. Like the PP said for a newborn you'd use the bassinet or the car seat snapped unto the stroller with the adapter. For a toddler the degree of recline is perfect for napping, my 1 year old actually sleeps better in the Vista than the Graco with full flat recline., I guess he feels cradled in the seat. I'm more bothered by the lack of a fully upright seat position.

However, I think the Vista is a very different kind of stroller than the others on your list. It's more of an all-terrain, it has a "bucket seat", it's the only reversible of your list, comes with a bassinet. Good if you live in an urban setting where you walk a lot and have bumpy sidewalks and/or snow. But it's more on the wide side (24.5 in), weighs 24 lb, which is light for THIS type of stroller but not generally considered lightweight. You can push it literally with one finger, and it turns on a dime.

The BJ City Elite is also more all-terrain but does recline fully. The Mini is the lightweight version, more useful for the mall, car trips, etc. They sell a bassinet for the BJ's that snaps on the stroller if you want to have that.

So the first thing you need to define is the use you'll give the stroller and your lifestyle. If you live in the suburbs and mostly use the car and don't walk outdoors much, you'd be better off with the others in your list since you don't need air or foam tires (air tires make the stroller heavier, bulkier and could got flat).

About your requirements, all strollers nowadays take car seats, some need an adapter. The P3, and maybe the Zippy too, are kind of plasticky but most people who have them love them and they seem to last a long time (more plastic parts make them lighter). The easiest fold is the BJCM, but none of them are too complicated. I personally prefer a stroller that can be pushed with one hand, and the P3 and the Zippy are hard to steer one-handed because of the umbrella handles.

So anyway if you tell us where you live and what your lifestyle is like, we'd be able to offer better advice for your particular situation. Oh and you can purchase a head support pillow for newborns that fits on the car seat and the stroller.

bw52
02-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for your advice! I live in a suburb of Tucson, so we don't have to worry about snow or slush here. Also, I'll be driving everywhere, but I will go on walks in the neighborhood most days. I'll prob be walking mainly on sidewalks, but I want to be able to walk on dirt trails occasionally. There's not much grass here, just rocks and dirt in the washes--if I venture off the sidewalks. That and shopping is prob what I'll be using the stroller for mainly. Thanks for helping me!

AnnieW625
02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I never had a true nice infant stroller with DD so I decided that's what I wanted for this baby. I tried the Pliko P3, Zippy, Baby Jogger City Mini, Maclaren Techno XLR, and I ended up buying an Uppababy Vista. So far after one walk with DD (2yrs. 9 mos. and 36"/30lbs) in it I like it. I do love the basinet option, which I know we'll use once the new baby is born. I love the sturdy frame, the fact that it takes a car seat adaptor, and a buggy board for my toddler. The basket is amazing too, and once you get a hang of it the stroller folds well. It's not small though, but it will definitely fit in the back of your trunk with no issues.

Both the P3, and the Zippy were almost identical clones to each other, except the Zippy had an easier one handed fold. I didn't really like the plasticky feel either, and the fold wasn't as nice as I would've liked.

The BJCM was nice too, but I didn't really want another jogger style stroller, and compared to the BJCity Elite it wasn't as nice fabric wise at all. The fold on both strollers was amazing!

The MAC Techno was a nice oversized umbrella stroller and I almost bought it. I have a MAC Triumph which (has been DD's stroller since she was 3 mos old) and I just loved the compact fold. I was pretty close to buying this one until I found the Uppa Baby I bought on Craigslist (I was really more interested in just trying it out because no one in my area keeps them; the closest ones to us are almost an hour away in West LA; so I sympathise w/having to buy online :() last weekend.

I live in suburban Long Beach, and I work full time so I know I'll probably never get the same urban experience out of my Uppababy as a big city stay at home mom, but so far I am very happy with my purchase!

It's so funny that you mentioned the Graco strollers being a pain to fold and the last couple of days I've been thinking I should've bought a simple Graco Quattro stroller instead of the Uppa, but now I feel better! :)

edurnemk
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
It's so funny that you mentioned the Graco strollers being a pain to fold and the last couple of days I've been thinking I should've bought a simple Graco Quattro stroller instead of the Uppa, but now I feel better! :)

No way!!!! I got the Quattro as a gift, and ended up replacing it with the Vista, and I am soooo happy now! (I'm an urban stay at home mom, lol). The Quattro is super heavy, bulky and hard to steer. And is much lower quality. The fold is the only good thing!

Maybe the OP didn't like the fold on the Graco because no one showed her how to do it, places like BRU have terrible customer service.

My DH hasn't gotten the hang of the fold of the Vista, but I don't find it hard.

However, bw52, if you're going to be mainly taking the stroller in and out of the car, I'm not sure I'd suggest the Vista. It does take up a lot more room in the trunk than the others on your list. I don't mind much but I use the car twice a week. But if you do want it to be able to handle dirt trails, you do need air or foam wheels and good suspension. You just have to decide what's more important to you OR get a full feature but lightweight stroller for the mall and such, and an all-terrain for walks.
A lot of people get a big stroller like the Vista and then after a few months get an umbrella for car trips (some Maclarens have recline and other nice features).

bw52
02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe the OP didn't like the fold on the Graco because no one showed her how to do it, places like BRU have terrible customer service.

It could have definetely been that no one showed us. We have never folded a stroller before, so this was a learning experience. And I sure hope it gets easier with practice!

edurnemk
02-04-2009, 06:54 PM
It could have definetely been that no one showed us. We have never folded a stroller before, so this was a learning experience. And I sure hope it gets easier with practice!

It will get easier, don't worry. Looking at baby gear for the first time can be overwhelming, but after a while it starts to be fun.

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
It will get easier, don't worry. Looking at baby gear for the first time can be overwhelming, but after a while it starts to be fun.
And after another little while it becomes an obsession.;)