PDA

View Full Version : Calcium supplement ?

LarsMal
02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I have been really bad about my supplements this pregnancy. I can't take a prenatal multi b/c I have reactions to *something* in it (started when I was still BF DD, and can't figure out what it is). I take folic acid and I also take digestive enzymes. They are supposed to help the body absorb the vitamins and nutrients in food, so my nutritionist said as long as I'm eating healthy I should be fine (and my OB was fine with it, too).

I really want to add calcium in, though. I bought some at the vitamin store today- Solgar brand, I think. I got "Calcium Citrate". It's calcium and vitamin D. Of course they are horse pills and I didn't realize it was 4 a day until I got home.

How much should I be taking? 1000mg? more?

Thanks!

elephantmeg
02-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I take 2 at bedtime every night. I figure its better than nothing. I think after I'm done with those I'll go for the calcium chocolate chews instead. Do take them at a time different than your multivits. I take a prenatal vit and a fish oil in the am and 2 calcium and a fish oil at night.

Momof3Labs
02-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I've taken Viactiv calcium chews before and they are pretty yummy - no horse pills to gag down. I've heard 1000-1200mg.

stefani
02-02-2009, 12:06 AM
I am taking Citracal Petite. 1000-1200 mg is what I was told to aim for. I also have osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis).

Yes, you want it to be Calcium Citrate, the ones that are easiest to absorb by the body.