PDA

View Full Version : Brandywine Valley Region of PA

Twins2000
02-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Ladies,

My husband and I are planning a little weekend getaway sometime this spring/summer to celebrate our 15th Anniversary. We are considering the Brandywine Valley Region in PA since there seem to be a lot of nice B&Bs there, looks like a pretty area with a number of attractions/things to do, and it's fairly close, so a short drive from home (Long Island.) Is anyone here familiar with this area and have any suggestions for where to stay, places to definitely visit, restaurants? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Leslie

blisstwins
02-02-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't know if the Brandywony Valley spans PA and DE, but in DE New Castle is lovely and you can easily get to Winterthur and Longwood Gardens from there. Both are really lovely places to visit. Have a great time!

jenny
02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Depending on where you stay, it's a quaint little area. It's the suburbs, but very close to the main, busy area of route 202, with tons of stores, places to eat, etc.

We've attended the fourth of july festivities at Chaddsford Winery. They have some decent wines and you can take a tour of the winery and see how the wine is made.

You should go to Longwood Gardens, it's a cute date place. Depending on the time you go, they might have some light and firework shows at night.

Definitely check out the Nemours Mansion and Gardens.

You can also visit the Dupont House and Hagley Museum and do some tax-free shopping in Delaware.

boolady
02-02-2009, 10:25 AM
We live in NJ, but DH and did a fall weekend in DE a few years ago, and we stayed at Montchanin, not far from Winterthur. We loved it, it's an old DuPont workers' village of cottages that they turned into an inn. http://www.montchanin.com/

maydaymommy
02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I live in West Chester, PA, which I guess is the Brandywine Valley.

I definitely recommend a visit to Longwood Gardens.

Also, the borough of West Chester has nice dining options. Check out Gilmore's for a world class meal.

StantonHyde
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
The Brandywine River Museum is a MUST in my book--I love Andrew Wyeth and the old Grist Mill is awesome. There is a great diner for lunch or dinner across the street (Route 1). You got good ideas on DE, Longwood Gardens is my other pick. I lived in Unionville and Kennet Square. Kennet is getting some better restaurants, but West Chester probably has better dining options (more of them certainly). There is also a small museum up the road from the Brandywine River Museum--not on Route 1 but the crossroads. It houses the collections of an eccentric guy who lived there--it is fun to see. Just driving on Routes 82, 52, and 842 are fun to see the countryside.

Twins2000
02-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Thank you all for your great suggestions and very helpful info! Now we just need to figure out when we can actually go (hopefully this spring)!