PDA

View Full Version : Baby Backpack Carrier - Any Advice?

DaddyDoc
02-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Looking for a good backpack carrier that will be used for vacations and theme parks... not hiking Half Dome. Any suggestions? It would be used by me (6'1', 210#) and my wife (5'7', 145#). I am thinking of the Sherpani Rumba Light: http://sherpani.us/product.aspx?bO3FscouH=1&GQd0EjaqX=6&pmdoXJC4W=150

Thanks for any suggestions.

wendibird22
02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
If you are just using a carrier for "light" activity such as walking around, I personally would go for a carrier w/out a frame. Even the lightweight frames can get heavy and uncomfortable IMO. I have an Ergo and a Beco and LOVE them both. DH wears them too. What I love best is that I can just roll up the fabric and tuck it into a pocket in my car or under a seat and it just lives in my car. That way we always have a carrier for any unexpected stops. There's no added weight and no added bulk (I have been "taken out" by a daddy wearing a framed carrier before because he couldn't judge how far LO stuck out on his back...same guy also wiped out a display turning around). I've also witnessed quite a few poor tired daddy's lugging around an empty framed carrier because their LO wanted to walk around or be in the the stroller. When DD does that I can just just stick our carrier in her diaper bag or in the basket under the stroller. Additionally you can wear your LO front, back, or on the hip with both the Ergo and Beco and I like having that versatility especially as DD gets older. DD is 23lbs and I feel very comfortable wearing her.

DaddyDoc
02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. You bring up good points actually. That said, I think I would prefer a metal framed one... we borrowed the Sherpani Rumba light from a friend when we went to disney last year and my Daughter had the best veiw in town of parades, characters etc. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with anything better (I know Kelty is a big brand, but don't know anyone who has used them and they look very big and bulky). (Actually, the Rumba Light I was able to fold flat and clip it to the side of our stroller with two carabiners when not using).
Thanks again for any input.

jamesoja
02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
We picked up a Sherpani Rumba Superlite in blue from REI online last month for $59. They were having their mega January sale. Our DD has yet to arrive, however the price was right so I went to the store and tried it on and had the sales rep "fit/size" me with weighted sand bags. Sorry I can not offer you any more insight, however I just checked and they do have a few models 30-40% off. Just type in Sherpani in the search. Good luck and thanks for the positive feedback on your Disney trip, that makes our purchase seem good so far.