PDA

View Full Version : One kid sick, one not sick - how do you handle school?

hollybloom24
02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I have twin girls who will be four in May. Their preschool is about 6 miles away and 15-20 minute ride (because of traffic). The school itself is a small house on the campus of a college.

Last week one of the kids was ill, but my husband was home, so he stayed with the sick child while I took the well child to preschool and picked her up.

Today the other child is sick, but I have no one who can stay with the sick child while I would take the well child to school.

The thought of getting both kids bundled up, taking them both to school and leaving one there (and probably dragging the sick child out of the school building screaming - she loves school) does not seem like a good idea.

I could hope that one of the other parents I am friendly with would drop off at the same time and could help me out, but I can't predict that!

What do other people with more than one child do?

KrisM
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I have twin girls who will be four in May. Their preschool is about 6 miles away and 15-20 minute ride (because of traffic). The school itself is a small house on the campus of a college.

Last week one of the kids was ill, but my husband was home, so he stayed with the sick child while I took the well child to preschool and picked her up.

Today the other child is sick, but I have no one who can stay with the sick child while I would take the well child to school.

The thought of getting both kids bundled up, taking them both to school and leaving one there (and probably dragging the sick child out of the school building screaming - she loves school) does not seem like a good idea.

I could hope that one of the other parents I am friendly with would drop off at the same time and could help me out, but I can't predict that!

What do other people with more than one child do?

I don't have twins, so they're not in school at the same time. But, if DS2 or DD is sick, DS1 still goes to preschool. I've often gotten there early so that I can catch one of my friends in the parking lot (or I call them before we go) and DS1 goes into school with them. If I can't do that, then we all go in, but I go a couple minutes late so that there is no waiting with the sick kid - just get the healthy kid into school and leave.