PDA

View Full Version : Dad to be needs help???

hblock72
02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
OK. So my wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of May. I'm in charge of picking out the car seat and stroller. I've made my decision, but am starting to 2nd guess myself based on some recent research. So I'll describe the choice I came to and would appreciate input from those of you that are much more experienced than me.

I've approached this as more of a system than the individual components. Not the bulky travel systems that are not recommended in the book, but rather as pieces that would work well together. I guess I should also describe how we intend to use the stuff. We live in the suburbs/country on a desolate paved road. We have two vehicles, so will want two bases for the car seat. We also live near a park with lots of walking trails ranging in surface from concrete to broken asphalt to gravel. We also will make trips to the mall.

So I figured on getting the Baby Trend Flex-Loc infant seat with an extra base. This would handle both our vehicles. Then to that add the Baby Trend Snap and Go stroller frame. This would be the light weight stroller for trips to the mall, ect. Then on top of that get the Baby Trend Expedition LX "jogging" stroller with the air filled and swivel front tire to handle the all-terrain duty.

This all makes sense on paper, but reviews of the Baby Trend products worry me a little and the book's authors frown on their customer service. However, most of the negative reviews seem to be from people who are trying to actually run with the stroller and are having problems with wheel shake. Our intended use of the stroller will be only walking, never actually jogging. I sometimes think maybe this stroller segment needs to be broken down into "all terrain" and "jogging" strollers. So would this decision then make sense. (PS: I'll get a nice lightweight stroller down the road when child outgrows infant seat)

Just for comparison, I did go to a botique store this weekend and looked at a BOB revolution and a BabyJogger City Elite. These were definitely nice stollers, but at 3-5 times the price I'm not sure they'd suit my needs any better than the baby trend since I'm just walking. Plus, I like the fact that all three parts will work well together (Infant seat, stroller frame, jogging stoller) So am I crazy or what? Thanks, and sorry this got so long.

AnnieW625
02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Congrats on #1!

The only Baby Trend product we have is the Diaper Champ and we love it. It's great and so much easier than the Diaper Genie, and it takes trash bags!

I tried out the Flex Loc car seat and found it to be very cumbersome and heavy. If you don't mind the added extra weight I think the Graco Snug Ride 32 (aka Safeseat) might be a better choice because you'll get a lot more use out of it because of the higher weight limits. And the Graco brand also fits the Baby Trend frame.

I never had a stroller frame with my first child, but I think all of the frames are pretty comparable (Graco, and Kolcraft also make them). If you are tall(er) you might consider the Maclaren Easy Traveller frame. We have a MAC Triumph stroller and it stears like a dream, and the handlebar height is just right (I am 5'6", and DH is 6'0"). The ET frame looks very similar to a MAC stroller.

We almost bought a Baby Trend Expedition jogger, but ended up with a Dreamer Design jogger (about $250 two years ago) and it's been a good stroller for fast walks, and light jogging. Unfortunately the Dreamer Design brand is a tad hard to find these days, but available online. Also the Bob Ironman jogger is less money than the Revolution jogger. I have friends who just adore their Ironman stroller because it's light, tracks well, and it just a great exercise stroller (I plan on getting the double). However I do have friends who have the Expedition jogger and love it.

Good luck and I'd try out as much as possible in the store with your wife too!

julymommy
02-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Congratulations!

So, I am not familiar with the seat and strollers you are considering, but it sounds like we live in pretty similar settings so I thought I'd let you know what has worked for us (my son was born in July last year). We got the Chicco Keyfit and the Mountain Buggy Urban Single . I LOVE the stroller! It is amazing on the street, in the park (we have a state park near us - all dirt (pretty rough) paths and it does great), in the mall, and on the beach. We got the the infant seat attachment for the stroller and used that for the first little bit (rather than getting a snap and go). So the MBUS, Key Fit, and infant seat attachment is the system we created - and it has worked very well for us. You can get good deals on the stroller at albeebaby.com

As suggested - if you can find a store that will let you test out the strollers, it is a good idea to give it a go - that is how we decided on our stroller - we took several for a test drive and liked the Mountain Buggy best

eah125
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I would look into the graco carseats. either the snugride or the safeseat (whatever that is now called) & get an extra base. They are compatible w/ just about any stroller, which can't be said for other carseats.
The snap n'go (i have the graco), whatever brand, are extremely convenient. They fold flat, can be opened one handed & have a huge basket, also the baby will face you, but i don't think it is great for all-terrain. They are kind of flimsy.
If you won't find it too bulky, i would suggest a "jogging" stroller w/ a car seat attachment for the beginning. I have the BOB Rev & love it, but many friends have baby joggers & love them too. That comes down to what suits you. I will throw the Valco runabout tri-mode into the mix. I tried that one as well, but went for the BOB for the 16 inch wheels. If you aren't picky about color albeebaby has one for $299.

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
If someone is staying home with the baby, I wouldn't worry about the extra base. We borrowed one and NEVER used it. I'd put that money toward a higher quality convertible seat when the time comes. You could get the BJCity Elite and be done. We have the double and I recommend the single to everyone who wants to get just one all-purpose (except running) stroller. It is worth every penny. Don't scrimp and get the 2008 on sale. The 2009 has important upgrades.

edurnemk
02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I would look into the graco carseats. either the snugride or the safeseat (whatever that is now called) & get an extra base. They are compatible w/ just about any stroller, which can't be said for other carseats.

I second the Graco suggestion, that way if you decide on another stroller, or if you don't like the stroller you picked initially after a few months of use, you won't be limited by the car seat compatibility issue. I also suggest picking the stroller you love first and then looking at the car seats that are compatible with it.

When looking at strollers, don't focus so much on compatibility. I think the main things to look at are weight, ease of fold, maneuverability, adequate tires and suspension for the use it'll get, good canopy, several recline positions including totally flat.

I never had a snap n' go, and never missed it. If your main stroller isn't too heavy you can just use the stroller to snap the car seat when needed. My DS hated the infant car seat so I always transferred him to the stroller when awake, I'm glad I didn't purchase a SNG. A lot of people get a SNG for the first months before deciding on a stroller.

ahrimie
02-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I second the Graco suggestion, that way if you decide on another stroller, or if you don't like the stroller you picked initially after a few months of use, you won't be limited by the car seat compatibility issue. I also suggest picking the stroller you love first and then looking at the car seats that are compatible with it.

When looking on strollers, don't focus so much on compatibility. I think the main things to look at are weight, ease of fold, maneuverability, adequate tires and suspension for the use it'll get, good canopy, several recline positions including totally flat.

I never had a snap n' go, and never missed it. If your main stroller isn't too heavy you can just use the stroller to snap the car seat when needed. My DS hated the infant car seat so I always transferred him to the stroller when awake, I'm glad I didn't purchase a SNG. A lot of people get a SNG for the first months before deciding on a stroller.

I agree. Graco's are compatible with a lot more strollers than the Baby Trend. I have the Bugaboo and used its frame with my Graco infant seat for short trips when my babe was sleeping. When we were home, I used the bassinet for walks around the neighborhood or to the store. Now, I just use the regular seat. After having the bugaboo (and I know it's expensive and not in everyone's price point--good thing it was a gift!), I suggest to other new parents to buy as much as you can afford. I love that I didn't have to buy several strollers for different stages and instead, have one really great stroller. I did buy an umbrella stroller recently though but for travel only. I tried using it at the library and the mall but far prefer the Bugaboo for my daily needs here in the suburbs.

MoJo
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not familiar with that seat, but you may want to see if whatever seat you choose requires a base.

We chose the Graco Snugride, but didn't buy an extra base. Whenever we want to take DD in our second car, we just strap in the carrier directly to the seat. I do it myself and have no trouble. The base stays in the car she rides in the most. I agree with the PP about saving the money and putting it towards the convertible car seat. (Most people say we really will need two convertible car seats, and maybe one for grandma's car too.)

I wanted a Snap & Go, but we didn't get it. The only time I miss it is when I wish I didn't have to uncover DD to move her from her seat to her stroller when it's really cold and windy. But she prefers riding in the stroller. That only applies to the mall; at the grocery store, Target etc I just park next to a cart return, grab a cart and put her carrier in it to get her in and around the store.

It is nice to have one stroller that stays in the trunk of the car she rides in the most, and another that we use for walks around the neighborhood.

I also agree it would be good to show your wife your choices IRL so she can try them out before you buy. But it's great that you can take some of the pressure & work off of her!

Good luck!