PDA

View Full Version : "Big Love" question - who was Maggie?

deborah_r
02-02-2009, 12:28 PM
For anyone who watched last night...do you remember who Maggie was? Was she Bill and Joey's sister. I know she must have been discussed earlier in the series, but I can't remember.

Fairy
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
And while we're at it, can someone explain what that big house with all the rogue teens is? I only catch this show here and there, but I'm now officially lost. Also, is Nikki helping or trying to NOT help the case against her father? I wasn't sure if she was there to help the case for real or if she was only pretending to and actually going to sabotage it. And do the others know what she's doing?

Looks like we're getting that 4th wife. I'm happy with the three we've got :-(

pinkmomagain
02-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I take it that Maggie is Bill's (and that other guy's (married to Wanda)) sister. I don't believe we ever met her. Or that she was ever mentioned.

The big house with the rogue teens -- seems like all kids that were booted out of the compound. Don't know how they have a house though.That was probably explained on the 1st or 2nd episode of the season. They are going to run those again soon for catch up.

Nikki has been trying to help her father's case. But now we find out that she was married against her will as a young teen...with that brought to the surface, we'll have to see if she turns on her father or not.

Did I mention that I absolutely LOVE this friggin' show? I love also that they don't spell everything out and make us connect some of the dots. Sometimes it also has an almost Twin Peaks feel to it....well, not quite, but almost sometimes.

deborah_r
02-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I feel like maybe Maggie was mentioned way back in the beginning when we learned Bill's roots and his upbringing and cast-out from the compound. So I guess she was Bill's sister, if that's what other people thought from watching it. The only other thought I had was that she was Bill or Joey's girlfriend at some point.

Nikki is in cohoots with her mother (could Mary Kay Place be any better as Nikki's mom? Love her!) and using Margene's identity (without Margene's knowledge) to work at the law firm to get information to help Roman's defense. She is doing all this without Bill, Barb or Margene knowing - they think she has taken a temp job to make money to pay back some of that debt she caused with her shopping addiction.

The relationships in this show are fascinating - not just the marriages, but also the parent child relationshps. Bill's mother cracks me up every week (well, except this one, what with the seriousness going on there). "Wanda, why are you massaging that bird's anus with a Q-tip?" I also think they make such great music choices to set the mood of the show week to week.

MelissaTC
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Maggie is Joey and Bill's sister. She has been mentioned in previous episodes. Lois actually cut all her hair when Maggie died and has kept it short since.

Frankie last week explained that one of the older kids got the house and it is used as a haven for those that got kicked off the compound.

I love this show so much!!! I love Nikki. She is one twisted, complex character and keeps the show entertaining.

Not sure how it is all going to work out with #4. And I really don't like that Sarah is pregnant. :(

tmonroe
02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Maggie is Joey and Bill's sister. She has been mentioned in previous episodes. Lois actually cut all her hair when Maggie died and has kept it short since.

Frankie last week explained that one of the older kids got the house and it is used as a haven for those that got kicked off the compound.

I love this show so much!!! I love Nikki. She is one twisted, complex character and keeps the show entertaining.
Not sure how it is all going to work out with #4. And I really don't like that Sarah is pregnant. :(

ITA. She is my fave. I can do without Margene though. I think it would be interesting for this lawyer to have a crush on Nikki. I don't think she would ever cheat on Bill but I like the idea of someone being interested in her.

Fairy
02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok, more questions -- sorry OP, don't mean to hijack!

Does Wanta WANT that 2nd wife? Is she compeltely unhinged? What is her deal?

Does Sarah love that DJ boyfriend she's pregnant with and pushed him away on purpose to "save" him? Does she actually want to be in that life or does she want to break away and be in a traditional relationship?

What happened to her brother having discovered the calling and that he wants to be in the polygamist life? I'm confused where he ended up. He seems to have gone and gotten all grow'd up over the hiaitus.

I totally love Margene. I'd totally marry her.

I hate NIkki. H.A.T.E. However. She and the writers are doing such a fantastic job of providing such a rich person in her. You hate her, and then you see her at a foundation that just makes you want to hug her. Not watning mroe kids and sneaking the pills, loving her father ... but maybe not really loving so much as that's what she keeps telling herself ... ripping her photo out of the 3-ring binder. Being terrified for Barb. Richest cdharacter on that show.

MelissaTC
02-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Wanda did want Kathy but I think Wanda is a little...off. She is paranoid.

I think Sarah does love the boyfriend but doesn't want to be tied down to anyone. I think her biggest fear is turning into her mother. I think she realizes that she has to get away or she will wind up like her.

It seems like Ben is still interested in that life. I wouldn't be surprised. They ended last season with him dating Kathy's twin sisters. At least I think they were Kathy's sisters.

Margene is cute. But Nikki is the one that keeps my interest. She is a real piece of work. And I also love Lois and Adeliene. They are something else!!!

deborah_r
02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Ok, more questions -- sorry OP, don't mean to hijack!

Does Wanta WANT that 2nd wife? Is she compeltely unhinged? What is her deal?

Does Sarah love that DJ boyfriend she's pregnant with and pushed him away on purpose to "save" him? Does she actually want to be in that life or does she want to break away and be in a traditional relationship?

What happened to her brother having discovered the calling and that he wants to be in the polygamist life? I'm confused where he ended up. He seems to have gone and gotten all grow'd up over the hiaitus.

I totally love Margene. I'd totally marry her.

I hate NIkki. H.A.T.E. However. She and the writers are doing such a fantastic job of providing such a rich person in her. You hate her, and then you see her at a foundation that just makes you want to hug her. Not watning mroe kids and sneaking the pills, loving her father ... but maybe not really loving so much as that's what she keeps telling herself ... ripping her photo out of the 3-ring binder. Being terrified for Barb. Richest cdharacter on that show.

No hijacking worries here! Let's discuss! I love this show so much I watched the new episode twice last night!!! Yes, Wanda is completely unhinged. She's a nutcase. She has tried to kill peopel before (I think Frank <Bill and Joey's dad> and Albee <Roman's son>)
Nikki said her dad would kill Kathy and Wanda says "Good, let's tell him!" I think she was half-on-board with a second wife, but now has become paranoid that Joey doesn't love her anymore, because she knows he thinks she's crazy.

I think Sarah loves the boyfriend, but I do not know why. He icks me out. But yes, I do think she is trying to save him by not burdening him. (oh just read Melissa's take on this and I think she is right. Sarah does not want to be tied to him and end up like her mom)

I believe Ben is on the straight and narrow now (no sex now until marriage) and I do believe he plans to have multiple wives, like Dad.

I love Margene too. I thought I was the only one. I also wish I was as darn cute as her! I love her spirit.

Yep, I hate Nikki every time she does something that seems destructive, then when I start to understand why she does it, I start to lose the hate. She was so funny saying Ana was a sex addict! Yes, she is the one you love to hate. It does bother me that she seems to never be honest with Bill or her sister-wives. I wish she would stop living a constant lie, but I think that comes from her confusion between how she was raised on the compound and how she is trying to live now.

If Frank is really gone, I am going to miss his rare interactions with Bill. "You are subhuman." Bill could always just sum up his disgust with one line. And Frank is such a character, I always forget that is Bruce Dern under there!

Melissa, good memory on Maggie. I cannot remember any of that and am now wondering if I missed some episodes early on. I did not know that about Lois' hair, but I have wondered why she seems to be the only one with short hair on the compound.

MelissaTC
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Melissa, good memory on Maggie. I cannot remember any of that and am now wondering if I missed some episodes early on. I did not know that about Lois' hair, but I have wondered why she seems to be the only one with short hair on the compound.

I am trying to remember when it happened and who she told the story to but I do recall an episode when she talks about losing her daughter and the grief she felt. Then she remembered in some cultures people cut their hair when they lose a loved one so she did the same and felt liberated. It was either Barb, Sarah or Margie that she told this to.

And since we are talking about complex characters, what about Rhonda???? Holy cow at the end of yesterday's episode!!! Wonder what is going to happen next!

Fairy
02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I got a Desperate Houswives Susan Chasing After Mike feel from that one where Rhonda was chasing after the car. And her boyfriend apparently not caring. And that girl is totally scary.

clb
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I am trying to remember when it happened and who she told the story to but I do recall an episode when she talks about losing her daughter and the grief she felt. Then she remembered in some cultures people cut their hair when they lose a loved one so she did the same and felt liberated. It was either Barb, Sarah or Margie that she told this to.

She told Sarah who asked why she had short hair. This was when Frank and his wives were living with Bill & family. They were supposedly kicked off the compound but were spying for Roman. Don't remember which season that was.

I remember the story, but for some reason I thought it was Lois' sister that had died prompting her to cut her hair. I didn't make the connection until reading this thread. I don't recall hearing of Maggie before.

MelissaTC
02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
It was season one when they got kicked off the compound and wound up setting fire to the motel where they were staying. Lois was taking a bath and told Sarah. I remember now. :)

Totally loving the Big Love discussion!!!

Fairy
02-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok, here's a Big Love discussion topic for ya. I believe the sister wives love each other and are exactly whom they believe they are. So what about Bill? Does he really believe wholly in the cause (or whatever the religious dictate is called where you have the calling, etc.), or is he somewhere deep down inside actually more interested in the authorized, managed "cheating" (for lack of a better term) than he is in doing God's work?

I ... don't know.

pinkmomagain
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
The reason I lean towards the God's work thing is because of all the kids and the constant "need" to procreate. Really all those families are alot to maintain financially/emotionally and it seems like baby-making (as opposed to just sex) is an objective. I also think that if he didn't truly believe it, Barb wouldn't.

deborah_r
02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I believe that Bill believes in what he is doing. They call it "the Principle", by the way. I don't think he is just in it for the sex. But the only times I get kind of...bothered by the whole thing is when two of the men will be discussing how to "handle" the wives. Like Bill and Don, or Bill and Joey.

Sillygirl
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I got a Desperate Houswives Susan Chasing After Mike feel from that one where Rhonda was chasing after the car. And her boyfriend apparently not caring. And that girl is totally scary.

And the actress who plays Rhonda played the creepy girl in The Ring - the one that does that sort of weird herky-jerky crawl out of the well. I thought the car scene was a sly reference to that. Also Tina Majorino (Deb from Napolean Dynamite, Heather here) was in a prom dress - all she was missing was the side ponytail.

Love, love, love Big Love. For me it is the tops of all the shows that are finally back, including Lost and Battlestar. Chloe Sevigny deserves multiple Emmies.

Fairy
02-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh, Tina is a wonderful little actress. I do love her. Just love her. I was never sure if she maybe had an unrequieted crush on Sarah?

Chloe does deserve an Emmy.

But I can't say I lvoe any of it more than Bettlestar. Not to get off topic, here, but re: the state of the most recent developments there, I have one thing to say. Ohmigods, ohmigods, ohmigods, HOLY FRAK!

And now, back to Big Love.