PDA

View Full Version : My name is Veronica, and I have an online shopping problem...

veronica
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I just ordered from QVC over the weekend-seriously........It was the today's special value (Bare Escentuals kit). What have I become?

How do I stop?
Is admitting the problem the first step to recovery?

so tell me-what's your most recent crazy shopping story? make me feel "normal" again

Melaine
02-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I LOVE bare escentuals. Totally worth it no matter what you paid!!!

Then again, I am "the Enabler".

MMMommy
02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Here is my latest story. Someone posted on the Bargains page about the Alex Toys Wall Easel being at HomeGoods Store for $11 on clearance. This easel is normally anywhere from $50 to $60. I search desperately for two of them (so DDs can each have one on the wall), but of course no stores near me carry it. Of course, I locate only one out of state only to discover that HomeGoods does not ship. Keep in mind, this took some time calling stores in-state and out-of-state. Then, I spend hours and days online trying to get internet stores to match the HomeGoods price. No luck. Then, I come across a really cute wall easel on Craig's List from Land of Nod. I locate two of these from the Land of Nod store on clearance for $49 each. I am elated. Then, I locate one more b/c I think it would be cute to have one on the wall in our kitchen (for "to do" lists and stuff).

So ultimately, I end up spending $160.95 for 3 Land of Nod Schoolhouse Chalkboard Wall Easels. What started out as a search for two $11 clearance Alex Toys Wall Easels from HomeGoods turns into $160.95 for 3 Land of Nod wall easels. I never even really needed them to begin with. Am I nuts or what?

P.S. Don't get me started on my dollhouse and play kitchen fixations from Xmas past. Days, weeks, and months of time fixated on those purchases.

veronica
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Here is my latest story. Someone posted on the Bargains page about the Alex Toys Wall Easel being at HomeGoods Store for $11 on clearance. This easel is normally anywhere from $50 to $60. I search desperately for two of them (so DDs can each have one on the wall), but of course no stores near me carry it. Of course, I locate only one out of state only to discover that HomeGoods does not ship. Keep in mind, this took some time calling stores in-state and out-of-state. Then, I spend hours and days online trying to get internet stores to match the HomeGoods price. No luck. Then, I come across a really cute wall easel on Craig's List from Land of Nod. I locate two of these from the Land of Nod store on clearance for $49 each. I am elated. Then, I locate one more b/c I think it would be cute to have one on the wall in our kitchen (for "to do" lists and stuff).

So ultimately, I end up spending $160.95 for 3 Land of Nod Schoolhouse Chalkboard Wall Easels. What started out as a search for two $11 clearance Alex Toys Wall Easels from HomeGoods turns into $160.95 for 3 Land of Nod wall easels. I never even really needed them to begin with. Am I nuts or what?

yep-my alex wall easel is "on hold" at my homegoods since it was marked at $30 and they would not sell for $11. they agreed to wait to the next round of markdowns to see if it would go down for me

Oh and I also just bought the infommercial scrubby pads that you can use to "shave" at Bed Bath and Beyon for $5 (half price) because the box was ripped....pathetic, I know

MMMommy
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
yep-my alex wall easel is "on hold" at my homegoods since it was marked at $30 and they would not sell for $11. they agreed to wait to the next round of markdowns to see if it would go down for me

Oh and I also just bought the infommercial scrubby pads that you can use to "shave" at Bed Bath and Beyon for $5 (half price) because the box was ripped....pathetic, I know

I swear I go on wild goose chases for things that nobody needs or necessarily even wants. I get obsessed with the "ultimate deal." It's crazy. I need to attend a shopaholic help group.

deannanb
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
the nice thing about QVC - if you don't like it - ship it back before 30 days is up!
and you are only out the shipping - so to try something for $15ish isn't too bad!

I've bought several things from QVC to discover that I didn't like it at all....
back to the post office it goes!

Enjoy the shopping!

WatchingThemGrow
02-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Ok, online shopping could be considered a problem for me, but I did something today that very much made me appreciate it. I scheduled a friend to keep DD this morning 9-12 while I went to the mall to do 3 returns and pick up diapers at BRU. Yuck, yuck, and yuck!

First, the stores didn't open until 10, so we went to the play area where there were several bigger kids playing in the toddler area. Were they home "sick" and got to come to the mall instead? Not okay. Then, I did my returns and since one item got purchased with a gift card, the credit had to go back on a gift card. That's no fair. The ON pj's only cost me $3.50 each, and I returned them anyway - silly. And the Newborn diaper value box didn't really count as a value box for some reason, so the manager (who wouldn't let me stack coupons like my friend got to on Sat), had to rering all my boxes of diapers, which almost made me late to pick up DD. DS was in the stroller and carseat FAR too long. DD screamed/whined her head off for the first hour we were back home for some reason.

After all that, it made me come home to appreciate the ability to let my kids roam freely around our house while I peruse the web to find thing we could use. Reading about specific bargains here and going out every other week to get something seems like a much better option. Ordering online and having it show up at the door a few days later makes more and more sense to me since I'm sure we all lost some brain cells in our "outing" today.

kozachka
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I spend way too much time researching things online. I have trouble committing to an item in store unless I've read a ton about it online :shrug:. Sounds familiar?

And as result of being such an 'educated consumer' I am getting sucked into buying more expensive, better quality stuff.

I was spending too much time here so decided to try other sites. I also realized that my child was much better dressed and 'equipped' than I. Now I frequent tPF and in the last 9 months have spent more money on shoes and purses than in the previous 3-5 years :loveeyes:. Good thing I can comfortably afford it. Some might even say it was necessary :rolleye0014:. At least I use my stuff for way long time than DS.

It does not however justify me spending $160 for a pair of absolutely beautiful but unpractical silver with stones Manolos that I will probably wear less than 10 times, if that much. Of course, they were a great deal. It's sick, I know, but I am already contemplating another purchase. Must stay away from Deals forum.