PDA

View Full Version : WTH--the crocs online store only takes Visa or Mastercard!!!!

HIU8
02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Ok, I have an AMEX. I cannot order the crocs my son wants for the really great price they have at the crocs online outlet store b/c I don't have a Visa or Mastercard. They simply don't take AMEX!!!! I'm really ticked off. The CS rep didn't appologize or anything, just said sorry we don't take AMEX and hung up. RUDE! :32:

schums
02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
That stinks! I have heard that a lot of stores are dropping amex because of the WAY higher fees they charge, which is hard for stores in this economy.

Do you have a debit/check card? Some (most?) are branded now with either Visa or MC, and I'm pretty sure you can use them anywhere Visa/MC are accepted.

jal
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
...The CS rep didn't appologize or anything, just said sorry we don't take AMEX...

I'm I the only one who finds this funny? (Didn't appologized... said "sorry" instead?)

OP, I understand your frustration, but I also understand the retailer. While I don't remember exact dollar amounts, I do see to recall that it costs the retailer more to do transactions with AMEX than Visa/MC. And for those that don't realize it, IT COST THE RETAILER MONEY TO ACCEPT YOUR PLASTIC. These credit card companies actually get a percent of the sale. The only reason retailer take the loss is because study after study has shown that a retailer taking plastic will get lots more sales that a retailer taking only cash/checks.

HIU8
02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I know that AMEX is costs something like 4 or 5% whereas visa and mc cost around 3.5%. The part that stinks for me is that the AMEX gives me a better deal on money earned back than any of the visa or mc accounts that I had (about 6 months ago I gave up a visa and a mc b/c they did not give me as good a deal as the AMEX).

What I meant by the didn't appologize is that she was kind of nasty about it--said sorry but in a mean sort of bitchy way (I could tell that she could have cared less about my transaction). I didn't really make it clear.

schums
02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
The reason you get better $$ back with amex is because they are charging the retailers more. We always keep one (mostly unused) visa/mc card just for situations like this.

HIU8
02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I may have to break my unused visa out (didn't cancel just put it away).

vejemom
02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Another reason merchants don't like AMEX - their dispute resolution center tends to be a little too customer centric. When I worked at the vet's, we would sometimes have people pay by AMEX, decide a few days later that Fluffy's surgery wasn't worth $300, and call AMEX to dispute the charge. AMEX never calls us to get our side of the story, just debits our account. Nice. So the clinic would have to eat the cost of a procedure performed in good faith.

HIU8
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Believe it or not, this is my first online experience where they have not accepted AMEX. I think that is what surprised me. DH found his unused MC and that is what we will use. The price for the crocs is just to good to get them somewhere else (for $10-$17 more at some sites).

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Reminds me of my first trip to Hong Kong for Abercrombie-- I got over there with only an Amex, the only credit card I had at the time and the very ritzy hotel desk looked at me like I had two heads. Had to call my very new boss to help me figure out what to do, I was mortified!

WatchingThemGrow
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
My DH tries so hard (in vain) to use his AmEx at every non-chain place we go. I want to crawl under the table b/c of the "we only take mc or visa" line every.single.time.

TonFirst
02-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Reminds me of my first trip to Hong Kong for Abercrombie-- I got over there with only an Amex, the only credit card I had at the time and the very ritzy hotel desk looked at me like I had two heads. Had to call my very new boss to help me figure out what to do, I was mortified!

You worked for The Brand! My oldest friend worked there for several years after college (Miami)...

AddiesMom
02-03-2009, 07:27 AM
I will never buy from Crocs.com again.

I got my niece Mammouth crocs for Hanukkah and she needed a size 4, just between a kids and women's size and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I ordered it from Crocs using a discount code and f/s, turns out she needed a size 5.
There was no paperwork to do an exchange, no way I could do the exchange on-line and still get the discount so I had, so I had to call. It took 30 minutes to get a rep, had wait for her to e-mail me an exchange form (almost 2 business days to get-it was a word document) and then they said 2-4 weeks to get the new pair. She just got them last week!

hellokitty1
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm I the only one who finds this funny? (Didn't appologized... said "sorry" instead?)

I know this is frustrating but I thought this observation was funny as well. :)

o_mom
02-06-2009, 08:34 AM
You worked for The Brand! My oldest friend worked there for several years after college (Miami)...

I worked at VS in the warehouse one summer! Nothing like sorting bras all night (3rd shift), but awesome company and less than a mile from home.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Yep, buyer for women's denim, dresses, outerwear, accessories and skirts.