PDA

View Full Version : What to get DH for his 40th birthday?

elektra
02-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Although I have complained about DH "ruining" birthdays and Christmas by purchasing gifts for himself instead of having me surprise him, it actually makes it pretty easy on me! I need to figure out what to get him. His birthday is the first week of March and I want this to be a special birthday for him as he is turning 40. Suggestions?
I was going to get him an XBox, since I know he wants one, but he has managed to get a free one through work. I want to spend something in the $200.
He has many interests but I still can't think of anything:
Tools
Interior Design (he really wants new outdoor patio furniture but it's just going to be too expensive)
Expensive watches

I feel like we are pretty set on consumer electronics.

mykidsmom
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Why don't you plan a weekend get away with just the two of you rather then a material gift. You can plan the whole thing and make it really special.

elektra
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I didn't think of this because DH generally likes "stuff" over experiences. I myself am the complete opposite and would rather spend my money on a trip over a thing. However, I should totally look into a weekend away too, without DD. It would be just what we need, especially with baby #2 on the way.

mykidsmom
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
If you go away somewhere local you could always surprise him by secretly inviting all your friends to meet you at a restaurant or bar to celebrate his 40th. This way you get alone time but also a party like feeling with all the friends for one of the evenings.

hellokitty
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Is there a special class he can take for a hobby of his? Like in our area, they offer some sort of racing class at a real race track and yes they get to drive like an idiot. My DH would love this. Or a photography class, or something else your DH might enjoy? I think that when our kids are older, I am going to surprise my DH on one of his bdays with the boot camp wknd at the Culinary Institute of America. He loves to cook and would love something like this. Also, if you likes actual things, you can always get something engraved. Like my DH got me a nice ipod nano two Christmases ago and had it engraved.

Asianmommy
02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I got DH a Wii for his 40th. It's fun for the whole family.

wendibird22
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Tickets to a sporting event or concert he'd like
Rent a fun car (like a convertible) and take a long drive to a restaurant or fun activity
The latest tool/gadget/accessory he doesn't have yet