PDA

View Full Version : Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!

ewpmsw
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I am wondering how people would react if their neighbor installed a motion-activated sprinkler to keep kids out of their yard. A friend suggested this to me and I think it's a wacky idea. Or, if anyone has suggesions for nicer ways to keep kids out of my yard, I'd love to hear them. I'm fed up. We're on the corner of a cul-de-sac and our yard is turning into a multi-use area for unsupervised neighbor kids. We do not have any children their age and we do not know where these kids live or who their parents are. I wouldn't mind if they sat on the curb or occasionally walked across the lawn. I do mind that our yard is used daily as a shortcut to the neighborhood behind us. Elementary school kids use it to play football, to chase wild rabbits and squirrels, to check out our deck and our pet rabbit, to play hide and seek... Kid things. One boy in particular keeps appearing on the deck and in the yard, even when we're out doing yard work. He seems to have some emotional stuff going on - He screams at the other kids not to leave the yard when we ask them to and also screams at them not to go home when their parents call them. He's about 9. I don't want strange kids on my deck or the liability of kids in our yard. Before I was a Mom, I worked in the legal and mental health fields and I know first-hand how insanely litigious people can be. I don't have the $$$ to get a fence. I'd like to avoid becoming the neighborhood jerk, but I'm worried that is exactly what will happen if I approach the parents. I'm a coward for avoiding the talk-to-the-parents issue, and I think a motion-activated sprinkler is stupid (albeit entertaining) idea for lots of reasons. I would appreciate suggestions or even a pep talk.

specialp
02-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I would certainly put up a "no trespassing" sign and don't think there's anything wrong with the sprinklers (though I've never heard of them). Also, TELL THEM. You can be nice, but affirmative. You are the adult. Playing around the deck is particularly bothersome to me. You are right about the liability issue. I would talk to any kid that is that close on your property, find out their name, and try to talk to their parents.

lorinick
02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I use to have the same issue your having now. Also a cornor lot with a large yard only the back is fenced. They would play ball and all kind of stuff in the yard. After a lot of yelling and chasing away they got the picture. I did talk to one of the parents it did seem to work. I didn't have any children at the time.

MamaMolly
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
How about a dog with an attitude problem? ;) KIDDING! You are in a pickle here. On the one hand you don't want to be an obnoxious neighbor, but on the other hand you shouldn't have to be responsible for other people's kids.
Also, the 9 yo has me a bit concerned, too. He seems to know what he is doing and is being purposefully naughty. That is a whole 'nother issue IMO, and you REALLY need to have a word with his parents. Being up on your deck is seriously NOT ok. I would be mortified if DD were doing that! If he wants to come see the bunny he needs to get permission first.

I think you are going to have to take a deep breath and talk to some parents.

You may want to say something about how toy are planning on having your lawn treated with some chemicals, like ChemLawn, so that the children need to stay out of your yard. That way you don't actually have to get it treated, and you give the parents a really good reason to keep their kids out of your yard.

If nothing else works maybe you can put pavers on the path where the kids are walking? That way they only destroy one part of the lawn. Then again, when I was growing up we had a neighbor who let the rumor spread that she had bear traps in her yard. Total urban myth, but we absolutely believed it. Especially when our parents told us it wasn't true ;).

pinkmomagain
02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I would save the $$ on the sprinkler system, and put it towards a fence fund. Would it be more cost effective to do plantings of some kind to try to block off convenient access to your backyard at least? I would hate this problem too and not want to come across as the neighborhood grouch too (especially if these kids decide to become vindictive), so I'm for anything you can do to your property to discourage tresspassing. Especially since you don't even know where these kids live. Has DH come out and given them a talking to?

nov04
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
open up a window and play classical music, used by stores to get rid of loiterers.

hellokitty
02-02-2009, 05:14 PM
open up a window and play classical music, used by stores to get rid of loiterers.

Really? Maybe I am weird, I love classical music and if a store played it, I could probably shop there all day, lol.

ThreeofUs
02-02-2009, 05:22 PM
You may want to rethink your basic premise, lol. Sprinklers tend to be a kid attractor. Trust me - I have sprinklers on a corner lot and the kids love them. :)

Also, a sprinkler system is often much more expensive than a fence.

BabyMine
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
We had a problem of kids cutting through our backyard for school. Months before this problem we had an invisible fence put in so our german shepard (chicken of a dog) could sit outside. They were cutting through one time and he barked. They never did it again.

Could you ask the children to show you where they live? Then you could talk to the parents.

MelissaTC
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I live in a cul-de-sac as well and every so often, I get kids in my backyard. I just go out there and tell them that they are not allowed there (woodsy) and I do not want anyone to get hurt. I explained to the middle school kids that if they get hurt it becomes my responsibility and I am not having it. No more kids! But I am probably the neighborhood meanie now. Oh well!

KBecks
02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Are you sure you can't swing a fence?

Then my next idea is to get to know the names of the kids, and politely tell them what's OK and what's not. But be friendly about it. Then keep talking to them a little when you see them. This sounds like it's going to be a compromise for everyone. Or, get a fence.

Jo..
02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Dig a moat.

MamaKath
02-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Put in a fence, put up a no trespassing sign and consult your local police department (especially in regards to the children trespassing on your deck). They can give you guidance according to your local and state laws. They also should be able to patrol your neighborhood more often.

shawnandangel
02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Get a tape recorder and play a dog barking whenever you see them. :)

mommy111
02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Do the sprinkler

s7714
02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Do you live in an area with a Home Owners Association? If yes, I'd see if they can't send out some kind of reminder to the residents that children should stay off other people's property. A family in our neighborhood had to do that because they had a corner lot with a slight hill that was prime for skateboarding. They constantly had to kick kids off their property and I know they ended up with a fair amount of property damage. They tried putting large, really heavy ceramic urns filled with plants in certain spots to keep the kids from jumping there and they got vandalized. Finally they had the HOA send out letters and had the police department come out and monitor the area during the times the kids tended to be there. Fences aren't allowed in our neighborhood, so that wasn't an option unfortunately. If I had the same problem in an area where fences were allowed, I'd do everything in my power to erect some sort of fence! If you can do auto sprinklers for not too much money, I'd at least give it a try to see if it made a difference. Although come summer you might only become more popular! ;)

Sorry you're having to deal with this!

kransden
02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
The sprinklers will be a kid magnet and a large water bill, so bad idea especially with the weird 9 yr old. We had kids cut through our yard at a rental so we locked the gate, the kids just jumped the short gate. So no help from me - sorry.

rlu
02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I think the sprinkler idea was maybe those scarecrow type sprinklers that are motion sensitive? http://www.nixalite.com/scarecrow.aspx I suspect the kids would have fun with that.

If they have a general path they follow - rose bushes??

Wish I had better ideas, sorry.

writermama
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Plant a hedge? Nice prickley bushes, too. Or tall, sharp grasses?

cvanbrunt
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Is it possible to put a fence just along the back of the property so they can't cut through anymore? That might lessen the appeal. Or borrow a really big, barking, dog that scares the bejeezus out of them.

Lara
02-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Go into those conversations with a very positive attitude and you'll be just fine. As a teacher, I've had well over 200 parent-teacher conferences and some of those have been really difficult situations. As long as I go into every conversation realizing that all parents really have their child's best interest in mind, then even the most awkward conversations turn out ok. Mainly, don't blame or get defensive, just state the facts (other kids in your yard make you nervous / uncomfortable / are a liability), stay calm and objective, and be clear in what you need them to do (have their kids play somewhere else, supervised or not). Also - keep the conversation very concise. If it happens again, get the neighborhood association or even police involved. It's matter of safety that you could be responsible for if you don't take any action. Good luck.

ewpmsw
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I talked to one boy's mother over the weekend and she was very nice. A young man was fooling around in our yard when we pulled into our driveway. Took DH and DD and followed the boy from our yard to his porch. It was all very friendly. Thanks for the good advice.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Dig a moat.

with gators

Melaine
02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I have this issue too....our house is on the corner, and includes the bus stop. Not only do the kids leave trash all over the corner of our shrubbery, but they seem to think it is a good place to hang out whether waiting for the bus or not. I've walked out in the evening to be startled by young children just sitting in our yard. WTH?

maylips
02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I would think the fence would be a magnet too - kids love climbing fences. I hate confrontation, but it sounds like, since the first one went well, it may give you courage to have more conversations with the parents.

Indianamom2
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh how I can relate!

We live on a corner lot in a subdivision. Our house happens to have a pool in the backyard also (was here when we bought the house). It is fenced in with two padlocked gates, but an industrious kid could climb the fence around the pool/deck area without much trouble. We would love a fence for our backyard, but we just can't afford one right now.

A couple years ago, we were having major issues with several of a neighbors 6 kids constantly being in our yard, asking to swim, running through our backyard (behind the pool), etc. Some of the kids were very young toddlers, another was a 10 year old with CP. I came home with my toddler one day to find their 3 year old boy peeing in our backyard and then, after I went inside the house, watched as he started to climb the fence around our pool. At that point, I marched outside, told the little boy to come with me and walked over to his parent's house. No one knew he was even in our yard (at 3 years old!) I explained exactly what happened and said, nicely but firmly, that we did not any kids in our yard and around our pool because we would not want anyone to get hurt. We were not going to supervise their kids around the pool. The dad took it all in stride, though I'm sure they probably don't like us, but I did what I had to do. (I'm quite non-confrontational, by the way.) We haven't had any problems (with them) since.

When it is a matter of liability (my DH is an attorney) or safety, I don't care if I am perceived as "mean". I know that I'm only doing what I need to do to keep us all safe.

Christina

ha98ed14
02-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I think you need to find the money for a fence. Even if you just fence the back to keep your back deck area off limits. A lot of times you can get a credit card at Home Depot or Lowes and pay it off over time. I bet they are having some good deals because of the economy. If you know that crazy people are sue-happy, don't leave yourself at risk of dealing with the disturbed boy's parents if he decides to jump off (or falls off) your deck or puts his eye out with a gardening trowel.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
A sign at the least, to help in case of litigation. We have a STEEP driveway, and when it snows it attracts kids. I have to tell them, that they cannot play on my driveway. If it weren't for the risk of lawsuits....

geochick
02-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't see how a motion activated sprinkler is any more neighbor friendly than talking to the kids or their parents.

We live in a cul de sac and had the exact same problem. We used to tell kids we didn't want them in our yard unless they were invited because if they got hurt, no one would know, and I didn't want people getting hurt on my property. PLUS - they were damaging an area of my property, so I told them I don't like people in my yard because my stuff has been damaged in the past. Anyway, it helped to talk to the little thugs, but the best bet was installing a fence. They stopped completely after that was installed...and it even has 2 unlocked gates. Stop eating out for a year and apply the funds to a fence. You'll be glad you did.

poppy
02-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Hmmm... I guess the corner house isn't always the best one to get.
We had picnic tables and a doctor across the street. We had all kinds of adults sitting in our yard at our picnic tables. You think they would know better. Also, we had a swing set and the neighbor's son would come and play, he was less than 2 y.o. and his mom asked if he could play and we said yes, but that someone had to supervise him. We said it nicely, but she got angry and yanked her son off the swings and stalked off. Strange.

I think the advice about talking to the parents is a good one but if it gets worse, I would contact the local police department and notify them of the children trespassing, which is a crime in most states and will be prosecuted if you file a criminal complaint. At least it will scare the kids and some parents, even if you didn't want to go this far.
I used to be a former prosecutor in Juvenile Division when I lived in the EC.

C99
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
When I was a kid, my house was adjacent to an alley, which happened to be one of the main routes to/from the local jr. high. Kids cut through our back lawn and down the breezeway to the sidewalk ALL THE TIME. Until my parents put in a fence. It was the only thing that stopped them. Then we'd just open up our gate, walk out to the alley to put our garbage cans out and step in piles of dog poop. :shake: