PDA

View Full Version : Something fellow children of the 70's can appreciate...

kayte
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
DH and I recently showed DD a couple of our favorite School House Rock videos... Interplanet Janet was an instant hit with her. I added the song to our ipod and she sings it all the time. I decided she needed a Janet, so I made her one! Just finished it and thought I'd share it with other children of the 70's---since DD is sleeping!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/3249409538_a4a3095f64.jpg

And for those of you who want a refresher...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPEvKsme-c&feature=PlayList&p=0D233C9FA0CE6E2A&playnext=1&index=33

:)

StantonHyde
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I LOVE the Schoolhouse Rock collection--so do my kids :cheerleader1:

amandabea
02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I love your Janet! I'll be searching for my cds this evening for DD.

Does anyone recall the song reference in my title?

MamaMolly
02-02-2009, 10:14 PM
That is so stinkin' cute!!! LOVE HER!

Fairy
02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Holy! Your Janet is AWESOME. :bowdown:

I FLOVE Schoolhouse Rock. I have the book and the bios and all the DVDs and the tribute album. I am a SchoolhouseRockAholic. I am begging and pleading with my drama group to please please please do Schoolhouse Rock Live, but they're fogies, unfortuantely, god love 'em, and just don't get it. If you ever have the opportunity to see Schoolhosue Rock Live, DO NOT PASS IT UP.

DS likes it, too, tho not as much as I do. I wish he loved it more; I'm aching for him to love it more. But he'll get there. I used to sing these to DS chapter and verse when he was a baby.

My faves -->
* The Preamble
* The American Melting Pot (I cry at this)
* 3 Is a Magic Number (it really is; we're 3 in this family. And it's a magic number).
* Unpack Your Adjectives
* A Noun is a Person Place or Thing
* In-terJECTIONs! (darn, that's the end)
* Lolly Lolly Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here
* The Shot Heard 'Round the World
* Interplanet Janet
* Mr. Morton (a new one)
* I'm Just a Bill!

Never Liked -->
* Mother Necessity (I cannot watch this, bleuch)
* Pronouns
* Electricity (yawn)
* Verbs

momtoonegirl
02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Your Janet is so cute!

DH and I love Schoolhouse Rock, and also have the DVD's. My favorite is "I'm only a Bill", but DD loves to sing "Conjunction junction, what's your function".

Nooknookmom
02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Brings back Saturday morning memories!!! Thanks!

amldaley
02-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Along the same vein...I bought dd the Free To Be You and Me cd for Christmas :) Amazon has it for about 10 bucks.

eta: and listen ing to it reminded me that I had a crush on Alan Alda as a little kid.

Gena
02-03-2009, 10:24 AM
We love Schoolhouse Rock and have the entire collection on DVD. DS loves words and numbers, so Grammer Rock and Math Rock are perfect for him. He doesn't care so much for the history stuff.

Great job on making a Janet! It's adorable.

Twoboos
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
DDs love Schoolhouse Rock around here!! We're going to have to get Janet off of iTunes!

When we only had DD1, I used to tear up at "3 is the Magic Number" remake by Blind Melon.

Jen841
02-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Love it! We have all the songs on the iPod (thanks to the Library). Need to show the DVDs to them, will order on Blockbuster.com today.

Years ago in Chicago they had a play that was so much fun. We had a girls weekend and took our Moms to it. It was a riot! We also saw a play about Judy Blume books, acting them out. It was scenes from Dennie, Are you There God is is me Margarget and something else.

ilfaith
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I love the Janet you made. It's adorable. Interplanet Janet was one of my favorites. To this day I always pronounce Uranus as they do in the song (so it sounds like neither your-anus or urine-iss). I think the song is part of the reason I felt especially bad when Pluto was downgraded (although I suggest if they decide to name any future "dwarf planets" they go with Sneezy, Grumpy, Doc, etc).

We have the Schoolhouse Rock DVD and the kids love it (we got tired of showing them the videos on YouTube. I love them all. Even the ones I didn't care for as a kid...like Verb, which I now realize has a very cool Isaac Hayes vibe.