PDA

View Full Version : C-section tomorrow-wedding ring stuck!!Advice?

marchmommy
02-03-2009, 12:46 AM
OK-tomorrow morning at 6 I have to be at the hospital, and I was told to take off all jewelry. I got two wedding rings off, but my engagement ring is stuck, and my finger is now sore. Any advice? I've tried soap, cold water, water w/salt and Windex......

elektra
02-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Try icing. Then relax, then ice again. The reason I say relax is that if you have been yanking on it, and panicking, it is probably just getting more and more swollen.

Once my mom got her ring cleaned and she panicked when she couldn't get it back on after the cleaning. So she basically forced it back on to her finger, taking a ton of skin along with it. Her finger swelled up so bad that she had to have her ring cut off!

Maybe someone else will chime in with BTDT c-section advice. My guess would be that if you absolutely can't get it off it won't be a big deal.

sariana
02-03-2009, 01:00 AM
This is from my Kaiser (health plan) handbook. I have never actually tried it, so I don't know if it really works.

-Stick the end of a slick piece of string, such as dental floss, under the ring toward your hand.

-Starting at the side of the ring closest to the middle knuckle, wrap the string snugly around your finger, wrapping beyond the middle knuckle. Each wrap should be right next to the one before it.

-Grasp the end of the string that is tretched under the ring and start unwrapping it. Push the ring ahead of the unwrapped string as you go, until the ring passes the middle knuckle.

These instructions are for removing a ring from and injured, and thus swollen, finger. I hope this method works for you.

dhano923
02-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Slather your finger with lotion -- the ring should (hopefully) slide off. I've done this several times with rings and bangles and it works every time.

shawnandangel
02-03-2009, 01:17 AM
You must be so excited for the addition of your little one! Congratulations and prayers and pt coming to you for a safe and pain-free recovery!

PP's have given some good suggestions. I would also add try olive oil

citymama
02-03-2009, 02:17 AM
marchmommy, all the best for tomorrow! hope all goes well and you and the baby are safe and healthy. sending best wishes your way!

JMS
02-03-2009, 03:32 AM
I don't have any advice.. but I hope you were able to get your ring off and get a little sleep... hopefully a stuck ring is the most of your worries. Good Luck with the baby and an early congratulations !!!

egoldber
02-03-2009, 07:12 AM
FWIW, I was never able to get my ring off when Sarah was born and it was not a problem. I took my rings off in the third trimester after that. ;)

3blackcats
02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Make sure you are really hydrated. My fingers especially swell up when I haven't had enough water.

What about hair conditioner?

Snow mom
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
All I have to add is swelling is worst in the evening so maybe it will come off first thing in the morning. I realize this is a bit late as you probably have already had the baby (congratulations!) but maybe it will help others dealing with the same issue.