PDA

View Full Version : For those avoiding cans/HFCS, etc.

LarsMal
02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Just wanted to share this recipe. I'm posting it here b/c these have been hot topics. Mods, feel free to move it!

I don't know if Spaghetti O's have HFCS, but I use the recipe for allergy purposes. My kids love it so much, I had to share.

Homemade Spaghetti O's (or "ABC noodle soup" as my kids call it!)

4 cups water
1 cup alphabet noodles (I use stars sometimes, too)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (I just use my Prego Marinara from the jar)
1/2 cup milk

Bring water to a boil. Add noodles and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook 3-5 minutes. Drain noodles, reserving 1 cup of the liquid. Return the noodles and reserved liquid to the pot. Add tomato sauce, milk, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer until noodles are softened & sauce thickens (5-7 minutes).

**I make this with soy milk for DS's allergies, but it works with rice milk, too. It will continue to thicken as it cools.

It has become a staple in our house. Yummy warm lunch on a cold winter day. The full recipe makes a lot, so I freeze the leftover or make 1/2 batch and have a little bit of leftovers for another lunch.

caleymama
02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for sharing, Julie :)

I think both of my girls would like that. We don't really do Spaghetti Os so I'm not on the lookout for a replacement, but I'm always up for a good (read easy & yummy!) recipe like this.