PDA

View Full Version : What's up with someone doing this?

kellij
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I got a call this morning from a newspaper in NY. (I'm in OK). She said my name and phone number were listed in a classified ad, along with an email -not mine. It was about texting for money. She thought it sounded a little fishy, so I guess that's why she called. She worked for the newspaper and is going to delete the ad.

Why would someone do that? Do I need to be worried about something?

MMMommy
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I would also be careful with what you say to the person who says they work for the newspaper. I wouldn't provide any personal info or confirm any personal info with the caller even. They could be a scammer too.

Laurel
02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I got a call this morning from a newspaper in NY. (I'm in OK). She said my name and phone number were listed in a classified ad, along with an email -not mine. It was about texting for money. She thought it sounded a little fishy, so I guess that's why she called. She worked for the newspaper and is going to delete the ad.

Why would someone do that? Do I need to be worried about something?

Honestly, I'd be worried the woman "from the paper" might be attempting to scam you in some way. I'd ask her what paper she works for, and then look it up and call her just to see if she is even who she says she is. In any case, give no personal info!

kellij
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I didn't even think of that! She told me what it was, but I was tired and didn't write it down. She didn't ask for any personal info though.

updacountry
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Do you have caller ID, to see where she called from? I would do a search online for your phone number and see if you come up with anything. It could just be that the newspaper typed the area code wrong or something. I live in NY so if you get the newspaper name I could check it out for you. We have quite a few area codes around here. It does seem weird. I hate when you don't really think anything of weird things to a while later then it bugs you! Let me know if I can help.
Jill

o_mom
02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
It could just be someone put the wrong number down when they ordered the ad - wrong area code or something. We had someone put our number on an ad accidently and we had calls for an entire weekend asking about puppies for sale (they print the weekend ads ahead so they couldn't fix it until Monday). If you have the number on caller ID, you could check that it was the paper, but as long as you didn't give them any info and just confirmed it wasn't your ad it is probably OK.