PDA

View Full Version : Kids desk set

luvmypeanut
02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
DD needs a desk to do her homework and saw a white one at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299025&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|75982|56265|2213&N=4025265&Mo=15&pos=6&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2213&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10582-Cat56265&topnav= (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299025&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC%7C93%7C75982%7C56265%7C2213&N=4025265&Mo=15&pos=6&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2213&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10582-Cat56265&topnav=)

She is in kindergarten so I'm a little concerned about stains getting on the desk from markers, pens, etc. Or is that not a concern? How is the quality of the furniture from Costco? I haven't been to any furniture stores in the area to compare prices but $550 seems a bit high for Costco unless this brand is very good.

Piglet
02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
My only word of warning is that we bought a desk for DS1 right around grade 1 and he never ever used it and it just became another toy filled horizontal surface. Thinking back on my own desk, it was the same - I never worked at it because I liked working in the kitchen or dining room. I would hold off until you know what her future homework needs are (i.e. does she need to use a computer or is there a lot of colouring involved). I would then opt for a cheaper desk if possible because if she does a lot of colouring, the desk will be messy. As for Costco quality, I think it is pretty good.

ohiomom1121
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
That desk is really pretty, but I would be worried about the stains too from that age. I saw this one that's technically a computer desk but it looked like there would be plenty of room for homework/ art projects too.
https://www.tuesdaymorningoffer.com/dsp_productDetail.asp?pid=2663
Another idea is one of the step 2 ones, if you don't mind the plastic. We have one of their art desks and they are really easy to clean. My kids love it. I have bought furniture at Costco (sofa and chair). It is pretty nice, but it was cheap so I wasn't expecting perfect! Most of the furniture they carry in the store seems like it's decent quality.

brittone2
02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
nak-
if worried about staining, maybe you can get a piece of glass or plexiglass cut to put on the desktop, or use a large blotter/desk calendar underneath the area where she'd be most likely to color?

Not sure how that would work but that may be something that would help reduce the mess.

Percycat
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I think that desk is made by CafeKids. We bought a white CafeKids trundle bed from Costco almost 2 years ago. It is made very well. In the two years, we have not had any nicks in the paint or stains, even though my daughter has climed up onto the bed from all directions and regularly uses the trundle as a step. I dust it with a dust cloth, and occasionally use a furniture spray or even a diluted Mr. Clean spray.

Unless your daughter is using permanent marker, I don't think there are messes you wouldn't be able to clean with a magic eraser or a cleaning product. The paint finish is really good.

FYI: we ordered online when it was on sale and didn't assemble it for several months. I was assured that if we were unhappy for any reason we would be able to return it and get a full refund, including shipping. The bed was delivered to our house in three large boxes.