PDA

View Full Version : Octuplet Mom Wants to Be a Reality Star

Fairy
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
The original thread was 18 pages long. I thought maybe with this newest development we should start a new one. Apparently, the chick has every intention of being a reality star.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2009/02/03/kaye.octuplet.mom.cnn

Note: She has hired a PR firm. Babies are barely a week old, and her priority is public relations. I, for one, am disgusted. Those poor babies. All 14 of them.

SASM
02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Ohhh...I do not even want to watch that video. I just had a feeling that this was going to happen. It all sounded very bizarre, what with the grandfather's comments that I heard on the TV last week. :( It makes me sick. I feel so bad for those children. Wow.

Melaine
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Very sad....yet the media continues to give her what she seems to seek (attention and awe!)! The second guy on the interview was essentially saying she was crazy but the way he said it made it sound like a compliment....did ya'll notice that?

Globetrotter
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes, that's when I started to feel sick, after hearing this. Until then I was trying to keep an open mind, but really now... She is clearly ill, and her decision will now affect 14 little lives. I wonder when the RE will be exposed for doing something potentially very dangerous.

Globetrotter
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Very sad....yet the media continues to give her what she seems to seek (attention and awe!)! The second guy on the interview was essentially saying she was crazy but the way he said it made it sound like a compliment....did ya'll notice that?

he was awfully polite ;)

Yes, I guess she's getting the attention she wants, but I will be pissed off if she gets a show, even if it's on some tiny cable channel.

lorinick
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm not watching. I'm already getting annoyed with the Gosslin's making out selling there story and filming their children all day and this lady now imo sounds like a wack job. She doesn't even have her own home. I think she needs help. I feel for those poor children.

hellokitty
02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I can't deny that I didn't see that one coming...

egoldber
02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Babies are barely a week old, and her priority is public relations.

In all fairness, most families expecting a HOM birth tends to hire a PR firm to keep from getting overwhelmed by the blitz of media frenzy. Not that I"m saying she is normal in any way. ;) But I saw a TLC special about another HOM family that was very normal and they had also hired a PR firm.

Fairy
02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
We went out for Girls Night Out on Saturday and discussed this at length. One of my friends said she had a feeling this was all for the notoriety and so that she could have her own show. I didn't dismiss it, but I thought, man, if that's the case, it would be really sick. And now here we are. She totally called it. I am trying not to be shocked and dismayed and that of course, that's what she wants. But I really am dumbfounded that such a thing would drive someone to do that not only to themselves, but to their children.

I wonder if they really will be better off adopted out to loving homes that can support them. I'm not saying she's not capable of being loving; I'm sure she is. I'm just saying she's nuts. Can I get on a waiting list to adopt one?

I'm being snarky now. I'm not being serious. Much.

Like I said before, tell me how this ends well? I don't see how it will.

Fairy
02-03-2009, 04:20 PM
In all fairness, most families expecting a HOM birth tends to hire a PR firm to keep from getting overwhelmed by the blitz of media frenzy. Not that I"m saying she is normal in any way. ;) But I saw a TLC special about another HOM family that was very normal and they had also hired a PR firm.

Yeah, I get your point. But I don't believe for a minute that this was a natural progression. It was calculated.

AnnieW625
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
This doesn't suprise me at all. At first I was excited for them, but now the story disgusts me. I am sure this was all calculated too.

Unfortunately she'll give the next mom/dad who end up with a large amount of multiples a bad name. The Gosselins have their moments, but at least they have stable brains in their heads and have raised some good children despite the children being in the spotlight. I read an article about them recently and it says that the children are only filmed for a few hours at a time each time they shoot.

veronica
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I can only hope having a film crew around this number of children could perhaps be a good way to make sure they are all somehow looked after....

elektra
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
She sucks. All the best to all of her kids though.

LarsMal
02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Wow...just wow.

I'm not saying she *isn't* a good mom, clearly I don't know her or her family, but to say she wants to be a "childcare expert on television"...you aren't automatically an expert just because you *have* lots of children. (Of course that's what the video said, we don't have a direct quote from her, but still...)

I know the octo have a long, tough road ahead, but my heart also goes out to the other 6 children.

MamaMolly
02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
So she hired a PR firm and is paying them with *what* exactly? Ohhh, maybe the with all those millions in endorsements she is going to get. Or the money from her 'child expert' job. You can't tell me this wasn't planned from the beginning. Riiiiight. Yuck.

I see a total difference in her and the Gosselins. Yes they are getting a ton of freebies, but I think it has been made *very* clear that they never intended to have HOM. It is totally different IMO to make the best of what life hands you versus setting out to gain fame and $fortune$ at your children's expense.

lorinick
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
So she hired a PR firm and is paying them with *what* exactly? Ohhh, maybe the with all those millions in endorsements she is going to get. Or the money from her 'child expert' job. You can't tell me this wasn't planned from the beginning. Riiiiight. Yuck.

I see a total difference in her and the Gosselins. Yes they are getting a ton of freebies, but I think it has been made *very* clear that they never intended to have HOM. It is totally different IMO to make the best of what life hands you versus setting out to gain fame and $fortune$ at your children's expense.

:yeahthat: Still wanting to know who the doctors were who implanted 8. The Gosselins are different imo too. Though tired of all the money there making now having a show and all the freedies.

mommysammi
02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I can't help but feel bad for the 14 children. Is there anyway for the children to be taken care of without giving a dime to the mother? She doesn't appear to have the ability (financially or mentally) to take care of these children. Is there anything the state can do legally? Like monitor the expenses and the well-being of the children? Anything?

lisams
02-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I can't help but feel bad for the 14 children. Is there anyway for the children to be taken care of without giving a dime to the mother? She doesn't appear to have the ability (financially or mentally) to take care of these children. Is there anything the state can do legally? Like monitor the expenses and the well-being of the children? Anything?

I'm guessing the state is keeping a very close eye on this family. It's so sad.

MartiesMom2B
02-03-2009, 05:36 PM
No really? I'm absolutely shocked. (eyeroll b/c I can't find the emoticon)

Fairy
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
That would be this one --> :rolleye0014:

kellij
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Unreal. That is one show/interview I will not be watching. I think it really sounds like she has a mental disease. It's so scary for her kids.

Pennylane
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I just heard on the news that she had agreed to talked only to ABC programs...Good Morning America and Oprah being two of them ,and she is asking for 2 million dollars.

Honestly, it just makes me sick that they would pay her anything to put her in the spotlight.

Ann

Fairy
02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I *hope* against hope that ABC will refuse to pay her. Reputable news programs do not pay for interviews.

tarabenet
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Reality star? She has no contact with reality. How are they gonna make that work? I hope she fades into obscurity and somehow or another those children manage to live vaguely normal lives.

jayali
02-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I am completely ignorant on this topic - how many embryos are "normal" to implant at one time? Would the parents have a say in this at time of the fertilization - like if we get 6 embryos we would like to try to have all six? Just exactly how does this work? Wasn't the doctor negligent?

Also, not to be rude, but where did she get the money for this? Does she work? I guess I need to suck it up and read the story, but to be honest I am disgusted by the media blitz. If you care to answer my questions, please do so.

Fairy
02-03-2009, 09:11 PM
If you've got the intestinal fortitude -- and time on your hands -- go read the other 18-page thread on this, and all thsoe questions will be answered, plus new ones created. The bottom line is that the US (at least) standard is never more than 4, but usually no more than 2 at a time via IVF. Doesn't mean they're not gonna split, but individual embryos is 2, never ever more than 4. Money? No frakkin' clue.

Our IVF'ers on this board, of which I am not, have far more knowledge of this, and they've given quite a bit of detail, so it's worth looking at that thread --> http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=314369

egoldber
02-03-2009, 10:01 PM
how many embryos are "normal" to implant at one time? Would the parents have a say in this at time of the fertilization - like if we get 6 embryos we would like to try to have all six? Just exactly how does this work? Wasn't the doctor negligent?

It depends on many, many variables. It truly is not so simple as being able to say "never more than X". The parents very definitely have a say. It is a decision made by a parent/couple in conjunction with their doctor, with the goal being A healthy baby. And just FYI, embryos are not implanted, they are transferred. Sometimes the embryos implant and sometimes not. IVF is not full proof and many parents go through several rounds of IVF and have nothing to show for it except bills. :(

However, in this case it is CLEAR that this woman has issues and something very, very outside the norm occured.

KpbS
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Reality star? She has no contact with reality. How are they gonna make that work? I hope she fades into obscurity and somehow or another those children manage to live vaguely normal lives.

:yeahthat:

ha98ed14
02-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm guessing the state is keeping a very close eye on this family. It's so sad.

Honestly, doubt any government agency has made any notes on this crazy. This is L.A. County. There needs to be a lot more that news stories to get their attention because crazy stories happen everyday here. Until this woman does something that is documentable neglect or produces bloodshed, I am afraid these babies are at the mercy of the Voices in their mother's head... ya know, the ones that told 14 children is a good idea and she had a shot at the life of a reality TV star.

TonFirst
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
This whole story is quickly crossing into Raising Arizona territory. "They got more than they can handle!" Ugh.

Fairy
02-04-2009, 12:49 AM
This whole story is quickly crossing into Raising Arizona territory. "They got more than they can handle!" Ugh.

Ok, now that was damn funny. A little levity never hurt.

o_mom
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Honestly, doubt any government agency has made any notes on this crazy. This is L.A. County. There needs to be a lot more that news stories to get their attention because crazy stories happen everyday here. Until this woman does something that is documentable neglect or produces bloodshed, I am afraid these babies are at the mercy of the Voices in their mother's head... ya know, the ones that told 14 children is a good idea and she had a shot at the life of a reality TV star.

While I doubt some social worker is reading the paper thinking "I should look into this", I would guess that the hospital social worker is involved and they will be monitoring the situation to make sure that these babies have a safe place to go to and the family can meet their needs before they are released. They would involve CPS if they felt it wasn't going to be safe for them to go home.

trales
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
How is raising your octoplets/children on TV for the whole world to see and criticize any different than giving them to a side show act at the circus.

Those poor children, don't they deserve a "normal" life with a loving family where every mistake/ tantrum and milestone won't be under a microscope

This woman's intentions make me very angry. She is putting her own monetary interests above the well being of her children.

shawnandangel
02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
How is raising your octoplets/children on TV for the whole world to see and criticize any different than giving them to a side show act at the circus.

Those poor children, don't they deserve a "normal" life with a loving family where every mistake/ tantrum and milestone won't be under a microscope

This woman's intentions make me very angry. She is putting her own monetary interests above the well being of her children.

Very well said.

elliput
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM
She's already the star of her own reality. A TV show isn't necessary.

mommylamb
02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Not that I needed an excuse, but just another reason to NEVER watch reality TV shows that glorify this sort of thing. It encourages people.

mommy111
02-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Reality star? She has no contact with reality. How are they gonna make that work?

:hysterical: You have to be unreal to get a reality show, why would anyone want to make a reality show on, for example, me, struggling with my 2 kids to get work done, their needs taken care of and then passing out exhausted at 8pm every night with them :o

strollerqueen
02-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Now they are reporting that she has been on workman's comp for nearly 10 years. She was a state employee at a psychiatric hospital, and hurt her back. Then a few years later, while on her way to the workman's comp hearing, she was in a car accident. So she re-filed. Does anyone know, does she get more from workman's comp per child, like on welfare? She did tell her nanny that she "got paid" for having each child.

hellokitty
02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
She did tell her nanny that she "got paid" for having each child.

Woah! I missed that this woman has a nanny! She must be doing ok with $ if she can afford a nanny!

niccig
02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Woah! I missed that this woman has a nanny! She must be doing ok with $ if she can afford a nanny!

Plus all those IVF transferrals. Friends has IVY and I'm thinking it was 20K or so a TRY. She's had what 6 IVFs - I think she has a set of twins, so 5 IVFs for the 6 kids and now 1 for the octuplets. But they live in a small house and her parents are supposed to be bankrupt, something doesn't add up.

Fairy
02-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Now they are reporting that she has been on workman's comp for nearly 10 years. She was a state employee at a psychiatric hospital, and hurt her back. Then a few years later, while on her way to the workman's comp hearing, she was in a car accident. So she re-filed. Does anyone know, does she get more from workman's comp per child, like on welfare? She did tell her nanny that she "got paid" for having each child.

That's not how Workers Compensation works. Depending on her injury, she'll get a percentage loss use of whatever body part is injured. So, let's say she broke her leg. She may have Permanent Partial Disability, Temporary Partial Disability, Permanent Total Disability, or Temporary Total Disability. And she'll get compensated for wahtever percentage of loss she's deemed to have suffered, as determined by one or more doctors.

She does not get compensated per kid. And, in fact, she may not get compensated at all if she loses!

No clue how it works for non-physical injuries.

Fairy
02-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Plus all those IVF transferrals. Friends has IVY and I'm thinking it was 20K or so a TRY. She's had what 6 IVFs - I think she has a set of twins, so 5 IVFs for the 6 kids and now 1 for the octuplets. But they live in a small house and her parents are supposed to be bankrupt, something doesn't add up.

I, too, am baffled by this. Six IVF's, no dad, lives with aprents, bankruptcies ... how does this add up?

Is anyone at all thinking we need to cut this woman some slack? Cuz I'm admittedly judging her quitea bit without first hearing ehr talk. Cuz there's too much that speaks for itself without her saying a word.

hellokitty
02-05-2009, 12:42 AM

Maybe her parents are bankrupt b/c their daughter has sucked them dry...

strollerqueen
02-05-2009, 04:48 AM

The nanny was interviewed here locally. She said that one time she asked Suleman how she could afford all of the children (the prior 6.) She said she responded "I get paid for having them." Of course, the logical follow up question is "by WHOM?" but the nanny said she didn't ask.

WatchingThemGrow
02-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Is anyone at all thinking we need to cut this woman some slack? Cuz I'm admittedly judging her quitea bit without first hearing ehr talk.

I'm repeatedly telling myself, "She is a child of God. Just like me. A sinner. Just like me." There is something VERY different going on here, but I'm trying hard to not judge. Granted, I'm listening and looking, waiting to hear her story with my brow a little furrowed...

mommy111
02-05-2009, 09:05 AM
But they live in a small house and her parents are supposed to be bankrupt, something doesn't add up.
I would too live in a small house if I had that many kids and I am solidly middle income. Maybe her parents are bankrupt and on state support and mooching off of her. Maybe the 'I get paid per child' is a tax deduction which would mean she actually makes a reasonable income?
I'm just assuming the best for the sake of the kids.....most of what we've heard about her is hearsay....

egoldber
02-05-2009, 09:15 AM
One way to get IVF "paid for" (or subsidized) is to do egg donation at the same time. If you are a good responder to the meds, you can often get a lot more eggs than you need. By donating the extra, your retrieval is sometimes paid for.