PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ a consulting idea

Nooknookmom
02-03-2009, 04:21 PM
I would like to make a small amount of extra spending $$ (since I cannot work a real job due to a back injury).

*Everyone* I know including a stranger who came to my house to buy my high chair says "Gee, you should consult pregnant women on the different types of baby gear, etc".

I would LOVE to, I am addicted to it and keep up on all the latest and greatest. Here's the catch, where on earth would I start? I'm used to running a painting comany, not a baby consulting company-different animals.

Would I do cards and hit up pregnant women at BRU, web, flyers at local baby stores??? I would so love to help out someone who is really (as I was w/ my 1st) clueless.

Any tips would be appreciated! Plus I could drag DD w/ me IF I landed a client or 2.

Melaine
02-03-2009, 04:23 PM
That would be my dream job....that is pretty much what I do for my friends, just for no charge!
I wonder if you could pass out cards or flyers at your OB's? I think the best way is by word of mouth....
I just wanted to add, I don't think approaching people at BRU is the way to go....I'm really turned off when anyone comes up to me at a public place and tries to sell me something. (I am specifically thinking of a Mary Kay consultant who approached me at Walmart....I thought it was a really inappropriate place to do so, even though I WAS a MK consultant myself at the time.)

jgenie
02-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't think you could hit up people at B&M stores - it would be soliciting and they have signs against that.

I would think you could try:
- Mom's groups
- post fliers at the children's library
- post office bulletin board
- place an ad in a local parenting magazine

Our local Whole Foods has Mommy breakfasts every few months - maybe try to set up a table there or in the spring try to set up a table at your Farmer's Market.

Nooknookmom
02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Great ideas! Keep 'em coming. I am a marketing genius for anyone BUT myself!

Melanie, I also grab any pregnant friend or family member I can and *help* (I'm sure I can get annoying-not everyone has my passion for this stuff!).

ThreeofUs
02-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Try holding free talks for moms groups, pregnancy classes and the like.

(Give talks at your local bookstore. Of course, you'd have to also pitch BB!)

urquie
02-03-2009, 07:38 PM
i learned of a babywearing class through my local hospital and then later saw it advertised on craigslist. you could try that route.