PDA

View Full Version : Can you handle another "diaper bag for 24hr flight travel" Q please

slworld
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
DS & I will be travelling to India in about couple of months (DS will be ~9months old). Going shouldn't be a problem since I will have MIL for help, but I need to be really organized since I will have to make the ~24hr return trip alone with DS after 2 months. So (here it comes) which bag(s) should i carry (notice i didn't say diaper bag since I am open to anything that would work). I already own a Dadgear courier bag and am waiting for Skip Hop Dash and Fleurville Micro/Escape pods & zip wallet that I ordered. Below is what I think I need to carry (I am sure there is more stuff that I can't think of now):

Food
--> Formula can/rice cereal
--> Bottles/accessories
--> Bibs/burp cloths
--> Water
--> DS just started on solids but I am wondering if we can manage with just formula on the flights

Diapering needs (maybe I can fit these in the escape or micropod)
--> Diapers
--> Wipes
--> Diaper creme
--> Changing pad

Others
--> Change of clothes
--> Blanket
--> Extra diapers/wipes
--> Toys

Mom's stuff
--> ticket/credit cards/ID/cash (hoping to fit these in the zip wallet)
--> toiletries
--> Change of clothes

I will probably have a personal item & a carryon and will need to spread all this stuff between the two. So I need some suggestions/advice on what type of bags to carry. Guess backpack could be one but would it be an inconvenience since you need to take it off to access anything from it. Could a messenger style bag be a better option. Also I don't think I will have a stroller or a carseat so I will be carrying DS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

lowrioh
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
We had an 18 hour flight with a 6 month old and I had a rolling carryon bag, a Skip Hop dash, and the stroller.
I put the rolling suitcase in the stroller and carried DD in an Ergo. The tickets and passports went into the diaper bag which was attached to the handles of the stroller. I would think that when you are traveling alone the biggest logistical hurdle will be going through security with all that stuff. Now that they have family lanes at most airports I would hope that someone would be able to help you. You might be able to request assistance through the airport through the airline too.
I can't really comment on the food side of things because DD wasn't eating a lot of solids at that stage. We did request a meal for her when we made our reservations and each flight we got 2 meals with a bottle of formula and two jars of baby food.
I think that your list of things is good. I would put 5 or 6 diapers in the diaper bag and the rest in the carry on. We only needed a the ones in the diaper bag but I wanted to be prepared just in case.
Good Luck!

aajamu
02-04-2009, 06:14 PM
My favorite travel bag is my Lands End Ultimate Diaper Backpack. You'll need to stalk eBay for one, though - but they do come up fairly often.

Mine has 2 large interior compartments. I use one for clothes and toys and the other for food and drinks. There are two side pockets that are insulated which you can use for water or bottles. There is a back slip pocket (next to straps) you can use to store a changing pad or magazines or books. There are two front zip pockets for parent stuff plus a velcro pocket big enough to store diapers and wipes.

It is the PERFECT bag for travel. Big enough for everything you need on a long flight, comfy straps, hands-free when you need to run around. ANd zippers so you don't worry about things spilling out in security checkpoints.

I also like my Eagle Creek Parent Survival Bag - another eBay stalking will be required though.

MamaKath
02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
I would do a rolling carryon with your clothes and extra stuff. I would do a backpack with the babies essentials that you *know* you will need during the flight (nappies, milk, bottles, onesies, etc.). Then your hands are free for baby along the way. When you need to get something out you can sling it over to one arm and look still (or rest it on the rolling carryon). My favorite backpack for stuff like this is the Baby Sherpa because I find it super comfy: the old LE Ultimate Diaper Backpack, the One Step Ahead Urban backpack and the One Step Ahead Helathy Back diaper bag are nice also. I would also think about a carrier possibility to help you out with carrying the baby. Something that can be used with the backpack or a messenger. I have never done such a long flight, you are quite brave!!!

christigpa
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
You've received great recommendations for different bags, definitely try ebay, craigslist and even local consignment shops.

Here's my coffee-fueled morning brain dump for you.....:wink2:

We have a much shorter flight (only 8 hours to Germany compared to your travels to India) next month with our 4 month old. Some of the advice I'd been given and things I've thought of:
--> carry on all baby nutrition: formula (we're bringing two cans powdered formula), bottles (4 bottles, 4 nips, 4 caps), pacifers (4). I put the pacifers in a small ziplock bag, assemble the bottles with nips and caps and put the pacifer bag and four bottles in a large ziplock bag. I'm also bringing a small bottle of dishwashing detergent to clean bottles/nips - in you guessed it, it's own small ziploc bag.
--> bring two sleepers for baby and one top each for mom / dad (or MIL in your case) in case of throw-ups/blow-outs during flight. Enclose these in large ziplock bags.
--> for diaper planning during flight bring twice the amount you think you'll need. For instance, we'll have 14 hours travel time (2 hours from home to terminal, 2 hours waiting for flight, 8 hours flight and 2 hours till grocery shopping for dipes at our destination in Germany) so I'll bring 10 dipes as carry on.
--> Frequently enough our DS will decide he's hungry immediately after waking - and scream for his bottle. Fun times. But anyway, we plan to prep the next bottle as soon as he finishes one - in hopes of alleviating the screeching and disturbing fellow passengers.
--> Finally, depending on the size of your aircraft and weight of DC, bassinets in bulkhead rows may be available. Typically the weight limit is 20 lbs. Check with your airline.

Have you considered bringing a baby carrier (an Ergo maybe)? Even during flight it'll keep your hands and arms free, giving your upper back a break from holding DC. It's a roll of the dice whether you'll have to remove baby from carrier or even remove carrier from person at TSA (honestly, it just depends on the TSA agent and particular airport). I really think you'll appreciate not having to carry DC and two carry-ons - those airport terminal walks can seem like miles and miles when you're weighed down with heavy/cumbersome baggage.

GL and enjoy your trip! I know I'm super excited about mine! :yay: