PDA

View Full Version : What Age to Play Outside Alone???

annasmom
02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I have noticed some children playing alone in my neighborhood lately - ages 5 and 3. I guess I shouldn't say alone, because they are together, but without adult supervision. They weren't in their own yard, but were walking down the street - about 4-5 houses away from their own home. I don't think they were going anywhere in particular, I think they were just walking.

I am wondering if I am a neurotic overprotective mother, but I haven't even thought of that as an option for my kids. I certainly walked my neighborhood COMPLETELY alone when I was a kid of about 4 or 5.

We live in a nice neighborhood, on a used, but not busy by a long shot street.

What do you think??

KrisM
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, the kids down the street do that. Once, my DH shooed them all home as a big storm was coming and they were walking towards the lake. All under age 6 and down to maybe 2. No parent.

My kids did play outside themselves last summer. They were 2 and 4. But, they were in our backyard and I was on the couch next to the window. DS is good about knowing where they can be and having me still see them. I only did this when they were out and I was feeding DS2 or something. Otherwise, I think they'll still be too young this summer at 3 and 5.

My nephews are out by themselves and go to their friends houses and they're 7 and 10.

lorinick
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
It depends on the child the neighboorhood and how well you know them. I don't have many houses around me and I do let me son walk up the street to another house where I do know the people very well. Now at eight he is allowed to ride his bike around the block alone and check in as he goes around and we use walkie talkies to be in contact at all times.

MartiesMom2B
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
My 5 year old is allowed to play with herself outside in our fenced in backyard by herself. She's still disgruntled that I won't let her play in the front yard by herself.

SnuggleBuggles
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Ds1 is 6.5 and I wouldn't let him do it. He can play in the fenced back yard alone but that is it.

Beth

rlu
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
DS can play in the fenced backyard on his own. He asked on Saturday if he could play outfront by himself. I was caught offguard and told him no, when he is bigger. He asked if big like his cousin and I said yes. So we're good until 12 LOL!

I do need to think about this, but 5 is too young for playing out front alone (I can see the walking down to the neighbors, esp if they are expected).

Sugar Magnolia
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
My 8 year old is not allowed to play out front alone.
But all 3 kids play in our fenced in back yard alone. As long as the dogs are out with them.

pinkmomagain
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
My girls 12, 9, and 3 are not allowed to play outside alone. I don't think DH will ever let them!

lisams
02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Out back (block wall/fenced in yard) DD was playing alone from time to time at 5 (with a window or screen door open so I could hear her, and me peaking out there every 10 minutes or so). Out front - that won't be happening anytime soon!

hillview
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Out back with fence maybe at 5 (all I can say for sure is not NOW). The kids across the street are 4, 5, and 6 and their parents let them play out front in the street with bikes ALONE. That is NOT okay with me. Freaks me out totally -- they yell "car" and then try to get off the street asap. It isn't a highway or anything but there is a car every 2 mins or so.
/hillary

erosenst
02-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Abby's been able to play outside alone in the fenced in backyard since she was 3...maybe a little earlier. Until this summer (4.5+), however, I was in a room where I could (and did) frequently look outside. This summer I was comfortable going upstairs as well. I 100% knew she would stay in the yard; if she had a friend over, I knew someone would come get me if one of them got hurt.

Late this summer (4.75) she asked, and was able, to play in front by herself. We're on a cul-de-sac, and I know she wouldn't leave our yard without asking.

Early this summer, she was allowed to walk around the cul-de-sac to a friend's house on the far side of it; by the end of the summer she was allowed to cross the cul-de-sac street.

I think the key, however, is not what others are allowed to do, but the specifics of YOUR location and YOUR child.

Emily
Abby 5

belovedgandp
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I think it depends on your kid, neighborhood, other kids, all that good stuff.

My son just turned 5. This past summer when he was 4 1/2 he had a lot more freedom to play, but it was not unsupervised. We live on a cul-de-sac that is always full of kids. I do let him play in the street with his bike. He loves racing the other kids. The summer when he was only 3 1/2, we were always outside with him and he was limited on going out into the street. It was kind of funny/sad. The adults would all be sitting in our neighbors driveway. A group of girls aged 5-8 run between three houses fairly freely. My son would play with them, but then they'd change directions and go to a different yard. He'd stop at the curb when they hit the street. The adults would yell for one of the girls to come back and get him to help him across the street. A year later, he took off with the group.

Now I do know the other kids from our 10 house cul-de-sac. I still don't open the front door and say go play. There are several older kids that I trust (10-13 years old). If I needed to go inside for the baby, or wanted to take 10 minutes to go inside (laundry, dinner), I'd make a point of telling one of the older kids to watch out for my son.

I tend to stay in our driveway while he plays with the other kids around the cul-de-sac. Our rule is that I have to see him. He can go in our backyard, but not the neighbors.

Corie
02-03-2009, 11:15 PM
My kids are ages 7 and 4. It will be a very long time before
they can play outside by themselves. There are just too many
things that could happen.

Rainbows&Roses
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
when she is a teenager?

I try to not even leave her outside (at 5) to run in and get something. The few times I have done that, it always seems as I am coming out the door (after being inside for 60 seconds) there is a random single male walking in front of our house. We live in a relatively safe neighborhood, but there are sex offenders within 4 or 5 blocks.

No way. Not worth it. I wouldn't even let her play in our fenced backyard which borders an alley.

I do have a neighbor who lets her 6 and 3 year old run wild. Sadly, because they are completely careless in terms of staying off the street and alley, it may only be a matter of time before there is an accident.

kransden
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
6th graders are allowed to walk home from school by themselves here.

o_mom
02-04-2009, 08:51 AM
I think the key, however, is not what others are allowed to do, but the specifics of YOUR location and YOUR child.

:yeahthat:

It is impossible to give any sort of blanket rule about this.

hannah
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
DD (4) and DS (2) play out side by themselves but only when I am in the kitchen at the back of the house and can see what they are doing. We have a fenced-in back yard.

Melaine
02-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Never. Our world is too dangerous. But I have an anxiety disorder, so....can't really answer this question rationally.

egoldber
02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
6th graders are allowed to walk home from school by themselves here.

Kids of any age are allowed to be "walkers" by our school.

o_mom
02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Kids of any age are allowed to be "walkers" by our school.

Ours too. If you live in one of the neighborhoods that adjoins the school you can be a walker.

fivi2
02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll run in and get something while my 3 yos are in the backyard (fenced). I feel my neighborhood is pretty safe.

As far as the front goes, my main concern is traffic (no cul de sac). So I guess I will allow that when I feel they are responsible enough to avoid cars.