PDA

View Full Version : Talk about nuts! HFCS & Trans fat

maestramommy
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
So today I'm in sure of saltines because I'm having an upset stomach. I'm at the Target, and I see the Market Pantry brand. I take a look at the ingredients list, and it seems okay, although I have no idea what transferie-something oil is. Then I look at the only other available brand, Premium Saltines (Nabisco?). It's got HFCS AND partially hydrogenated oils, and costs twice as much! go figure!

elektra
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Dude, saltines? Are those even sweet?

daisymommy
02-03-2009, 06:07 PM
It's lurking everywhere I tell ya! One thing I have noticed is that strangely enough, many store brand products do not have HFCS and preservatives that the popular brands do.

The only frozen waffles, pancakes, biscuits, fish sticks, and many times crackers that I can find in regular grocery stores for Joshua to eat is the store brand.

DrSally
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
And prob bleached enriched flour too, all the good things.

LarsMal
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, it's crazy. I'm pretending I didn't notice it down the list of Ritz crackers, though. Why??????

Every other Ritz-type cracker I've found that's "safe" for DS is manufactured on equipment or in a facility with his allergies, so I just finally said forget it- he can have the Ritz!

srhs
02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Just grabbed my generic saltines and oyster crackers. No HFCS, but my oils are "interesterified." I'm not "interest"-ed in knowing what THAT means today. It might "terrify" me. :sigh:

crayonblue
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I have found that a lot of generics don't have HFCS whole their name-brand counterparts do. I am happy about that and so is my wallet!