PDA

View Full Version : Kids with low blood sugar

niccig
02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Everyone in DH's family has low blood sugar including our 7 yo cousin. DH gets hit a couple of times a week. FIL is diabetic. I talked to our Dr. about it at the 4 year checkup and he said to keep a diary of when DS melts down and what he ate and when he ate it. The last 3 weeks he's been much more easily upset. Some of this I thought might be developmental, pushing boundaries etc, and the Dr. said that he could be that.

Today DS wanted to go swimming at the YMCA, later on when I give him the 5 min warning that we're about to get in the car to go to the Y, he lost it. I calmed him down, asked if he was hungry and he said yes. He ate and then was fine. He was in the Y babysitting and had a snack. Then we went swimming. After swimming we're in the car on the way home and he tells me he is dizzy. We had lunch and then he said he was fine.

I know kids can get upset when their tired and hungry, and this may be that rather than low blood sugar. But I was wondering if anyone else has kids with low blood sugar and what you do to deal with it.

Thanks.

egoldber
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Amy very definitely tends to low blood sugar. Our problem is she gets defiant and belligerant, becomes unwilling to eat, and then it completely spirals out of control. I do use small amounts of juice sometimes, because even at her most upset she will usually drink "joop" and that takes the edge off until I can get some protein and good carbs into her.

brittone2
02-03-2009, 08:42 PM
nak-
yeah, I'd try upping fats and protein and doing frequent meals to see if that helps.

niccig
02-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks I'll try this. He didn't have milk or yoghurt in his cereal today - a Nature's Path Flax Flakes with a few dried strawberries on teh top - he wanted it dry. But he did have a sippy of milk an hour before breakfast, but maybe too long ago. I'll make sure there's protein/good fat at every meal. But he's worst tantrum in the last few weeks was immediately after breakfast of eggs and bacon, so plenty of protein there. I'll keep on eye on things and see if there's a pattern.

CiderLogan
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I have low blood sugar. The key is regular meals/snacks and never getting too hungry. I'd set a pretty regimented meal/snack schedule and not deviate from it.