PDA

View Full Version : What is appropriate attire for a funeral?

Pennylane
02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I have not been to one since I was 14 and have no idea what to wear. Also, What about the viewing?

Thanks so much.

Ann

zag95
02-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I would go conservative- I typically wear black or something toned down- you could do something nice that you wear to church- but nothing "loud" if you know what I mean. I have worn suits, dresses and jackets, etc.

I am sorry for your loss-
Take care

Pennylane
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I would go conservative- I typically wear black or something toned down- you could do something nice that you wear to church- but nothing "loud" if you know what I mean. I have worn suits, dresses and jackets, etc.

I am sorry for your loss-
Take care

Is it ok to wear black dress pants to the viewing?

Ann

Gena
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Business to business casual attire, generally. It depends in part on how close you were to the deceased. IME close family usually dresses very formally for the funeral, but may dress slightly formally for the viewing. Extended family and friends may be less formal as well.

We went to a funeral and viewing last month. For the viewing I wore navy dress slacks, a black blouse, and a grey sweater. DH wore dark dress pants, a sportcoat, a grey dress shirt, and tie. DS wore black dress pants, a dark green dress shirt, and a tie. For the funeral I wore a black pantsuit, with a dark blouse. DH and DS both wore their navy suits with white dress shirts and ties.

I'm sorry for your loss.

ILoveLucy
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Black pants would be fine. My dad died a couple of months ago, and I wore a gray dress to the visitation and black dress to the funeral, while DH wore a dark suit to both. However, other relatives and most other people wore slacks and sweater/jacket, etc, to both things, esp since it was terribly cold out with snow on the ground.

I'm sorry for your loss.

MamaMolly
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
So sorry that you are having to ask. Big hug! Black dress pants would be appropriate, especially given it is winter .

If you are my stepmonster on the other hand, you wear a black micro-mini halter dress held up with a gold chain. And hoochie platforms. To a catholic funeral no less. :eek:

wendibird22
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

I attended a calling hours a few months ago and wore black dress pants and a boiled wool jacket, also black. DH has been to several calling hours recently and to one he wore a dark grey suit and the other dark dress pants, collared shirt, tie, and a dark sweater.

I am finding that calling hours and funerals are becoming less dressed up for those outside the immediate family.

brittone2
02-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Just a big :hug: as you are going through this difficult time.

Pennylane
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Thank everyone for your help and your condolences.

Ann

MelissaTC
02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

We lost a family member in December and for the wake, I wore a black dress with black pumps. For the funeral, I wore dark grey slacks and a dark purple sweater (it was a very cold, windy day).

JTsMom
02-04-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. :hug:

I think it's a regional thing as far as how dressy funerals are. They definitely seem to be getting more casual though. I agree with everyone else- reasonably conservative, pants are fine- I usually wear them for at least 1 or 2 of the viewings (our family has looong funerals), doesn't have to be super dressy.

Most people stick with darker colors, but it's certainly not a must anymore.