PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver in the Fall?

StantonHyde
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I am starting to plan/ponder an adults only vacation for this fall. We would leave on Sun or Mon and come back on Friday. We are looking at the middle of October to middle of November. We may be stuck with the first week in November.

What is Vancouver like then? I can handle 50-60 degrees but would rather not have snow. Would 3 days be enough or would you do 4? We want to take a day trip over to Victoria. I am looking at the Pacific Palisades Hotel (DH and I love Kimpton Hotels). Do I need a car or can we do everything on foot? (we did not get a car for Seattle)

Thanks for your initial planning thoughts.

bluestarfish18
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Rebecca, just PM'd you

sadie427
02-26-2009, 01:35 AM
We love Vancouver at any time of year, even winter, and often stay at the Pacific Palisades. There shouldn't be snow--should be 50-60 degrees probably--it did snow over thanksgiving week one year but that's unusual. Make sure you're signed up for the Kimpton club card--you get upgrades pretty quick. We were just upgraded to a suite--the suite was really nice. They have free wine in the evenings and a pretty nice indoor pool and workout room. They will put a DVD player in your room for free if you want to bring movies.

We go to the art museum, walk around different neighborhoods e.g. yaletown, gastown, granville island. The bathtub ferries are fun if it's not freezing.

You don't need a car, except for day trips, and even then you may be able to do bus or something else; I bet you could call the hotel concierge after you book and see if she can set something up for you, they are very nice there.

I could stay a full week easily, especially w/ day trips.

Some restaurants: Hapa Izakaya, on Robson near the hotel; the crepe restaurant right across from the hotel; Gyoza king on Robson near the hotel; any of the inexpensive korean restaurants on Robson are probably good, we go to Norboo; Simba's african restaurant on Denman, and there's a Robata grill (Japanese barbecue/small plates) a few doors down that's excellent. All of those are places we've taken our son, the concierge can give you recs for more upscale places, we have been to Bin 941 for a date night which I think was on Davie, that was good. There's a grocery owned by whole foods up robson a few blocks which is good for breakfast, snacks, takeout.

PM me if you have more questions, we live in Seattle and go to Vancouver a few times a year.