PDA

View Full Version : Everybody who's on Facebook should read this...

citymama
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
from the NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/external/readwriteweb/2009/01/30/30readwriteweb-how_to_friend_mom_dad_and_the.html

How to Friend Mom, Dad, and the Boss on Facebook...Safely

By SARAH PEREZ
Published: January 30, 2009

Oh no! Your mom just joined Facebook and what's even worse, she wants to be your friend. More and more people are finding themselves in this situation today and unsure of what to do. Friending mom and dad, the boss, or other work colleagues opens up the details of your private life for the whole world to see - and you might not be entirely comfortable with that. What's to be done?

Jenny_A
02-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I didn't know about the "friends list". That's good you can create different lists and deny access based on your lists. It's also really easy to "untag" yourself from a photo or delete a comment or wall post, so, if you don't want you boss to see something, you could just delete it.

Jenny

overcome
02-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Awesome article...love having the info re: friend lists! Thanks for posting.

jent
02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks! I'm new to FB and I *did* friend my boss. Luckily I don't have too much to hide, but still ...

MoJo
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks! For me, the worst thing anyone is likely to see is a cluttered living room in the background of a picture or a bad haircut from middle school. But the "Friends" lists I just set up may help me avoid boring certain groups with too many baby details, or offending other groups with political or religious notes that I might add thinking of one group but not another.

I posted the link to my Facebook page.

MoJo
02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
If you're not on Facebook, you might want to check it out. I had no interest until this summer, when a friend from childbirth class said if we wanted to see pics of their baby, FB was the place to go.

Once I joined, I was able to get back in touch with dozens of friends, some of my favorite people in life, from college and high school. I moved to a different state almost six years ago, so I never see any of them any more.

And I did friend my coworkers. . . I almost never see them either, and this allows them to have some idea what's going on with me and DD.

But I definitely recommend checking your privacy settings; most people I know seem to restrict all of their info except their name, network & a profile picture to people they have requested/acknowledged as friends.

wendibird22
02-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for sharing. This is something I need to find time to set up and also information that I will share with the college students that I work with. They put EVERYTHING out there for the world to see.

happy2bamom
02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Thank you so much. this makes me feel so much more comfortable with posting things.